Solsaem Clinic (Dr. Minbo Shim) Experience

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by JohnAdams, Feb 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      https://tinnitusmix.com/

You need good headphones. Case recommends those Koss ones.

2. Cher2

Cher2 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Thanks - I have the Koss headphones and R. David Case’s Anti-Tinnitus file downloaded to my phone.

I will also try Tinnitus Mix.

3. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      They are one and the same.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. MRItechssuck
      Disappointed

MRItechssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Severe 10/17/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise, MRI
      I guess you wear the headphones while sleeping?

...since the site (thanks for the link!) recommends using at night, but then recommends the headphones. It cautions against using with hyperacusis (I have some) but an interesting thing to try.

Thanks.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's free and certainly worth a try before jet setting to another country for a very expensive and unguaranteed set of invasive surgical procedures.

6. MRItechssuck
      Disappointed

MRItechssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Severe 10/17/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise, MRI
      Hi,

I’m reading the thread of 56 pages where initially everyone was very skeptical of this... did you eventually believe him and/or try his Tinnitus Mix?

Thanks.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I never disbelieved him, I just thought his explanation was nutty. I am 3 nights in right now.

8. MRItechssuck
      Disappointed

MRItechssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Severe 10/17/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise, MRI
      Ok thanks, you saved me about 50 pages of reading.

• Like Like x 1
    9. Cher2

Cher2 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      @ajc Thanks for the clarification! I did think that there were 2 different things.

10. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'd sort of hope that if this testament worked well enough to justify travel and expense, the people treated wouldn't still be here a year later posting about curcumin and Lenire and still apparently grasping hard for better solutions.

No offense, @JohnAdams. I think you've been very upfront about your own experience, and appreciate that you use lots of words like "unproven" to caveat what you're saying.

I wish this could get a 200 person RCT performed in the UK or here in FreedomLand®

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Funny Funny x 1
    11. Allan Mcmillan

Allan Mcmillan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 30 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic shock from playing guitar with headphones
      Going in February, Since Ill be in Thailand anyway and it's a relatively short flight. Might go for 4 shots (2 trips) in total.

Also, we had a korean mule call into Minbo's office. He does PRP for about $300 a shot for PRP and usually administers one shot every 2 weeks and monitors results. I'm not sure why his procedure for foreign patients is so different.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Informative Informative x 2
    12. vttbx

vttbx Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Are you able to sleep with the Koss headphones on?

13. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      What exactly is a Korean mule call? And why did they call in? Was it for cheaper rates and only PRP?

Are you still going to India for PRP injections? Or maybe South Korea?

I never got any IT PRP rates from Dr. Mamatarani Rout in India.

Also asked if they did a lot of them for tinnitus.

Not much response from her. I guess I could contact the male Dr. instead.

• Good Question Good Question x 3
    14. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Any improvement whatsoever Tinniturd? I suppose you wouldn't recommend Dr. Shim at this point. I wonder if IT PRP in India would do anything... whole lot cheaper anyway.

I don't get much response from Dr. Mamatarina Rout.

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Because they can go for a much longer period, because they live there. With foreign patients it is a one time shot as quick as possible. Once again, this is why this needs further widespread trials and testing. Oh you can't patent PRP, so no money to invest in clinical trials.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I know everything. There are people I don't want to drag into this so I am staying out of it. I drop dimes for a reason. I've basically said a lot without saying it about this clinic and very few of you seem to know how to read between the lines.

• Funny Funny x 1
    17. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
    18. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Wow, this thread has really progressed quite a lot.
      Be careful when it comes to journals that are little known as many are predatory and will publish anything as long as they are paid. You should always research publications that are obscure if you want to guarantee authenticity.

First of all, if a journal claims to be open-source, make sure they are a member of one of these organisations:

https://oaspa.org/membership/members/

https://publicationethics.org/

https://doaj.org/

Doing a quick check of Acta Scientific does not yield great results. They are not a member of any of the organisations listed above, and not only that, but a well known predatory journal site (Beall’s List) has recently rated them as potentially predatory. Someone else also left this review about them:

C4A68125-AE22-4FCF-910C-C14477E2E3F4.jpeg
      075DDF74-4E26-4FC7-8D1D-9251210E6DCB.jpeg 075DDF74-4E26-4FC7-8D1D-9251210E6DCB.jpeg

This is from Beall’s list:

1B94560F-6CFF-4785-937C-E63E1D450412.jpeg

It also says that there is no conflict of interest and yet they are charging people for it. They are the only people I’m aware of - along with Dr Shim - that does this treatment. I’d say that’s a pretty big conflict of interest.

Basically, all I’m saying is be to be really careful! Don’t believe everything you read and always try to verify that the information you are reading is legit. At the end of the day, it’s your health that is at stake in all of this, not just your wallet.

• Informative Informative x 3
    19. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      Thanks cool cat.

Interesting read... and still not 1 audiogram. Maybe there will be a place for PRP in the future, maybe not. Perhaps it could be used in tandem with other drugs just to help with healing of the tympanic membrane etc...

Stefan Heller wrote to me and said there is no scientific foundation to the claims that PRP practitioners make for hair cell regeneration, or some kind of regeneration in the inner ear. Was he being honest, or being diplomatic with me as some here speculated. I m not a scientist, I also have bad hearing. So.................. I can only observe, read and try my best to figure out what is possible and what is unrealistic................

I am waiting for small molecule drugs if they ever come or some technology that can benefit me. If it doesn't happen, that's ok... I am pushing on and mentally positive now for me and my family (no mistresses... ha) and accept and accommodate to my handicap and different way of life.

PRP remains contentious even in treating arthritis (spelling) and sports injuries. A lot of hype by practitioners and the most popular use seems to be cosmetic face skin treatments. Why is it not being used by ENTs in the USA, my home?

Could be that there is too much of a risk for law suits and medical insurance would be through the roof e.g 70 -80 injections is a lot, higher odds of problems etc. OR the method just simply doesn't work and hasn't been adopted by ENTs. Or it works and ENTs are just slow to change. The latter is often true in medicine, industry and science.

I don't have the answers right now, but am certainly inclined to wait for reasons of efficacy and finances. I would like to see audiograms of befores and afters that are convincing and transparent. I again defer to Dr. Silverstein's work for the round window and stapes. It's all recorded, before and after, submitted to the NIH and completely sound. The patient knows the risk and benefit percentages, which are now 80 %. That's a good number. If FX-322 can benefit 80 % of patients or some other similar drug, that would be a revolution.

Calmly waiting... and living the best I can...

Your thoughts, just1morething, fellow sufferers?

• Like Like x 3
    20. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You could be right. At least their prices aren't outrageous like Dr. Shim's but if PRP doesn't work it's still a very long flight and there could be complications. It sounded legit but you never know.

I did buy some medications (benzos) from an India source that were marked up ridiculously in the past year because I couldn't get them locally and I was desperate. Also had a bad experience with a computer tech firm from India but got my money credited back to my credit card.

I deal some with HP Smartfriend and they seem decent. Most of their technicians are based out of India. Some are from Nova Scotia also.

@Ed209, I hope some of your health problems are improving or you are at least getting to the bottom of them.

• Like Like x 1
    21. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It does seem like they could do IT PRP injections in the US if they really worked. I had IT dexamethasone treatments back in 2010, 2011 at Paparella and Shea.

Maybe in India they don't have to deal with the restrictions like the FDA here? I don't know if Silverstein would know about PRP injections for sensorineural hearing loss? I could give them a holler.

22. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I agree it’s significantly cheaper but the price doesn’t really indicate much when it comes to efficacy.

My problems are still ongoing but I’ve had some tests done for the urology issue which wasn’t much help, to be honest. My shoulders and knees are still knackered, though, amongst other things. I also had a wisdom tooth removed because it was traumatising my lower gum. At times I feel about 80 years old.

Hope all is well with you, obliviously ignoring your current tinnitus issues.

• Hug Hug x 4
    23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      From that article:
      "Out of 200 patients with injection PRP intratympanic, 172 patients were having improvement in hearing after 5 times of repeated injections and 28 patients didn’t show any improvement in hearing. Out of 28 patients, 19 patients were above 70years and with diabetes, and 9 were above 70 years old"

5 times? I had like 100 treatments.

This needs further study, preferably not in India.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    24. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe that was overkill?

25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well, I still have tinnitus so apparently not.

• Agree Agree x 1
    26. Tom Wilton

Tom Wilton Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sound Exposure
      The guy is a fucking snake in the grass scammer. For all the evidence that has come up showing his inconsistencies, I can’t believe you dummies are still going to see him.

Obviously he is trying to take money away from rich foreigners. This is so damn black and white I don’t feel bad for the people who piss money on this guy.

I bet he could come out with a new treatment to piss in your ear to cure your tinnitus and y’all would jump at the opportunity.

They guy is a crook and is playing all of you. No wonder he operates in Korea and Russia. It’s the Wild West of medicine out there.

The best part is John thinks he is an insider and knows what the hell is going on. Does he call Shim up before bedtime and have him read him a bedtime story? If he truly thinks Shim is giving him insider information, he is getting played like a puppet, it’s rather sad. Also, why is Dr. Shim discussing specifics of Aldo’s case with John? What happened to Doctor patient privacy of information? Not very professional of Shim to talk about his patients medical information and situation with random people on the Internet. I mean John did pay him over 30k so maybe he feels he owes John something since he plays him like a fiddle.

Is there some evidence that PRP can help heal the ear? Sure there is some evidence, but it hasn’t been studied on the level needs to be.

Also, since the medical community in Korea doesn’t even acknowledge Shim, why the hell would you trust him. He is prob injecting water into peoples ears for 9k a pop. No regulation with this guy.

Don’t be dumb people and save your money from this scammer. And don’t listen to keyboard “medical experts” who took biology in high school and think they are bioengineers or PhDs in biology.

27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You don't even know what you're babbling about. I participated in the creation of my own PRP. You can even taste it when it is dripping out of your Eustachian tubes.

Look at what a loser you are, going nuts and getting all worked up like a little child over this.

Nobody is even planning on going here at all anymore anyway. This is my thread, do you see me telling anyone to go? I have consistently stated that this needs to be actually studied in a clinical trial.

Why are you such a loser man?

28. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      He would never have the balls to say these things with his own face and real identity.

Disregard the asshole.

• Agree Agree x 1
    29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      He claims Shim played me like a fiddle. He never sold me on anything. I did my own research into this before I went, and I understood the risks. Shim actually never explained PRP or anything at all to me. Whoever this Tom guy is he has some serious problems. He thinks he knows everything and has to trash talk everyone that even breathes in a manner that he thinks is incorrect. I bet he mentally and emotionally abuses people in his family and has no real friends.

30. Tom Wilton

Tom Wilton Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sound Exposure
      When did trying to help people avoid being scammed become loser behavior? Guess things have changed since my day.
      I would say it to anyone’s face. I would love to meet Shim and tell him to his face he is a piece of shit scam artist taking advantage of a desperate group of people.

I feel better knowing Karma is gunna get Shim one way or another.