Suicidal

Discussion in 'Support' started by jeremy06, Oct 14, 2018.

1. bobvann
      Ape-like

bobvann Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      I run fire drills as part of my job... But my facility put in electronic chimes...

• Like Like x 1
    2. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Those are well within the ranges drugs like FX-322 are addressing.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      That's good.

4. ASilverLight
      In pain

ASilverLight Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably noise, stress and a neck injury.
      My biggest issue are still the fact it changes so much + the fact that it's so audible over things, which I still find strange. It's not that loud in reality, and it doesn't get LOUDER around sound. It just doesn't drown out for some reason. I'm still having other weird symptoms and my cold hasn't eased up any bit since onset months ago.

I still don't get how one can get such horrible tinnitus with no (measurable/notable) hearing loss or acoustic trauma around onset, and not that much loud noise exposure. I also don't have hyperacusis, for which I'm grateful, but again... don't understand with the severity of my tinnitus.

5. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      We are the problem.

Previous generations knew all doctors could do was stich up wounds and send them home. They learned to live with it. We the generation of entitled leftist are expecting a cure.

From an outsiders perspective we are delusional crazies on a tinnitus forum.

• Funny Funny x 3
    6. MrCrybaby

MrCrybaby Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2014, 10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      School Band, Noxious Car Radio
      I disagree, I think that most people are so used to going to a doctor and getting a pill for their problems that they think it works that way for all health problems. Look at the opioid epidemic. The discourse was always “how nasty of these bad companies and bad doctors giving people these bad drugs” vs “how horrific that all these Americans are living with chronic incurable pain”. I suspect uninformed activists thought there was a good pill they could take instead.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Anytime a conference combines hyperacusis and misophonia that is a damning indication that it's Jastreboffian in nature. The Scientist who talk about hyperacusis don't bother tying it in with that.

They are just doing their job. That's where the money is going.

• Agree Agree x 2
    8. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      How is a psychologist suppose to evolve into a biomedical researcher? Jastreboff's discipline is not suited to treat tinnitus. The best he could have done was continue sound therapy while realizing his limitation while other scientist did the work.

The man views himself as the all knowing tinnitus expert when he's not.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Zugzug

Zugzug Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Autoimmune hyperacusis from Sjogren's Syndrome
      First of all, your opinion doesn't matter, as you are a crazy on a forum. Mental illness is why you care about biology.

Secondly, I slightly disagree about Jastreboff. I think you underrate the importance of failures in science. I'm not a big fan of people on this forum being condescending towards researchers who are trying to help. Science is hard, and often requires hundreds, if not thousands of failures. Sometimes honest failures motivate successes down the road.

Jastreboff could have been activist, insisting that he devoted his life to studying neural plasticity and came up pretty empty. He could have emphasized that veterans (and others) desperately need help. There was a way for Jastreboff to be a positive, but he blew it.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    10. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      You don't realize my sense of humor. I insult myself and my way of thinking so I can learn from it.

upload_2020-6-4_19-22-29.png

• Like Like x 1
    11. Backpacker

Backpacker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      Relax, we're all crazy, it's not a competition.
      Just to avoid any misunderstanding, I am not interested in reading about psychological issues "causing" or "contributing to" tinnitus or hyperacusis either, no matter who wrote the article.
      Timothy Hain, Chicago dizziness and balance (the guy from the link you and xyz posted) is much more knowledgeable than an average neurotologist. Most of the information from the link is about the actual disorders and injuries of the inner ear (that might cause auditory/ vestibular disturbances/ pain etc) that not every neurotologist, let alone ENT, is familiar with. You don't read very often about a doctor who knows how to recognise SSCD, CFD, PLF and other inner ear disorders/ injuries. I am not recommending any tests (tympanometry, VEMP etc) but reading articles from people like him can be useful for people who happen to have one of these disorders because most doctors just know how to say "MRI didn't show anything so it means you're OK" and people just keep going around not knowing what they have and not avoiding harmful activities and movements.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    12. Bartoli

Bartoli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2009,worsened 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Jastreboff is a neurologist. He's the first person that has established a tinnitus treatment center.
      For most neurologists, tinnitus wasn't on their radar. In a way, his views and commitment were ground-breaking.

He paved the way for future research and the analogy of tinnitus as phantom pain as opposed to the theory of "damaged hair cells in the cochlea that are stuck in the ON-position" that was an established theory at the time.

In my opinion, he hasn't done much updating since and seems reluctant to have his views challenged. There are some dogmatic principles that are flawed in my opinion (everyone can habituate, loudness doesn't matter,...)
      but when people do habituate, it's because of the habituation of reaction and perception. In a way, he acknowledged a phenomenon that happens in most tinnitus sufferers. I believe most people benefitting from TRT would've gone on to habituate without it as well, which is what a recent study implied. He may have kickstarted tinnitus research from a brain perspective, and also impeded it in later years. We can't say where we would've been if we take Jastreboff out of the equation.

If tinnitus ever gets a good treatment or cure, I don't expect it to come from his direction. Name me one good song from the Rolling Stones from the last 3,5 decades. Same thing.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    13. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Give the devil his due.

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    14. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      They can only help you if you wanted to apply for disability.

15. Zugzug

Zugzug Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Autoimmune hyperacusis from Sjogren's Syndrome
      haha, I was kidding, and feeding into Contrast's favorite joke, which is that people with severe chronic illness have invalid opinions because they are "crazy."

In actuality, I'm probably one of the craziest on the forum.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    16. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Most people who discuss (their) tinnitus are perfectly sane. That changes when they talk about politics.

(You can accept that as a joke if you want).

17. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      get a disability lawyer and vote democrat.

18. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      I believe he is Canadian.

19. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      What’s wrong with the Don........? I feel some backlash already. Do the democrats treat the disabled better?

20. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      From what I understand, prior to Trump the requirements to get on disability were easier. You basically had to prove you couldn't do your former job.

Now you have to basically prove you can't do any job (so even people with severe tinnitus or hyperacusis could say get a job where they are by themselves in a controlled environment) so this is pretty much people with a full time caretaker or the mentally ill.

There are exceptions if you have children, though. But if you don't, you will be pretty much confined to poverty many times without healthcare.

And don't forget the ACA's pre-existing condition clause was a democratic endeavor as well.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    21. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      I find it offensive how they are so obsessed with treating depression and anxiety but not anything to do with biological damage elsewhere in the body.

They love to call anything outside of their discipline irrelevant. I'm sick of psychological resilience propaganda. The only reason I am disgruntled with psychology is because of it's arrogant history.

• Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 2
    22. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      The mentally ill are denied because they do not have cognitive impairments but rather thought, emotional and sensory impairments.

23. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      I guess I should clarify and say "so mentally ill that you would be a hazard to an employer."

24. MrCrybaby

MrCrybaby Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2014, 10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      School Band, Noxious Car Radio
      Sleep breathing disorders (OSA, UARS, etc) constantly get misdiagnosed as anxiety and depression (and ADHD in children) leaving patients to suffer indefinitely, never getting the treatment they need. It’s especially messed up when kids who can’t sleep properly are put on amphetamines, what a dumpster fire.

Mental health visibility is great, but the medical community needs to realize that emotional distress can be a symptom of physical health problems.

25. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Correct. I guess he was happy during the Obama administration. It was so great then, that another Democrat was voted in... oh wait.

26. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      to be fair the spike in biomedical sciences didn't spike until 2016.

Trump cut regulations that's why things are speeding up. Corporations don't take risk if they are heavily restrained.

27. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      America is insane for not having a partial disability system like some European countries. It is true some state Governments have small benefits but not all of them.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    28. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Wrong. I have discussed this issue here with people from Europe. It's not any better than the USA or Canada. For disability, you need a physical disability THAT CAN BE SEEN. Failing that, you need support from psychiatrists, most who cannot relate to your situation or don't have insight on tinnitus beyond the typical generalized explanation on hearing clinic sites.

The process is long and it's not supportive for tinnitus sufferers no matter where you live. There's no benefit for it even if you live in a country with subsidized healthcare and the Welfare state.

• Agree Agree x 1
    29. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      In America you are either 100% enabled and forced to work full time regardless of health complications or 100% disabled and any form of work means ZERO benefits.

That is literally how SSI is set up. When state Governments give benefits it varies among each state. The most conservative states probably have no such thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
    30. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      tinnitus can be seen on certain EEG's. Hyper activity in the audiotory brain/dorsal cochlear nucleus is visible.

No one test for that because no one takes science and empirical diagnosis seriously.