Suicidal

Discussion in 'Support' started by jeremy06, Oct 14, 2018.

1. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      You are a case where you may not at all need regenerative medicine. Yours very much could be TMJ or trigeminal neuralgia or a vascular nerve compression. Please get a CT scan. All of those things in addition to causing pain can cause tinnitus. At least get a proper work up!

http://www.tinnitusjournal.com/articles/relationship-between-otological-symptoms-and-tmd-10364.html

2. InfiniteLoop
      Relaxed

InfiniteLoop Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss in left ear from head trauma (?)
      Yes, it is true, but there is nothing else, even if they are next to nothing.

3. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      I have a theory that Jastreboff was a "literal who" until the US military adopted TRT along with Shatner's promotion.

He was one of the obscure characters researching tinnitus at the time. Back in the late 70's there was ZERO research on tinnitus. It just shows how young the biological sciences are, and how anyone can fill their niche.

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 2
    4. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      CBT proponents have a point. There is lot's of evidence that mind can effect body and certain diseases can be caused/worsened at their core from stress, but that's a two way street. Body can also effect mind.

They don't look at the full picture. They don't bother figuring out the technical reasons why, they just act zealous about it.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 2
    5. Bartoli

Bartoli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2009,worsened 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Yeah mate whatever. Seems like you have made up your mind a long time ago. My doctors won't prescribe me any benzos either. They must have gotten a slap on the wrist for prescribing it too often in the past. I'm sure I could get them at some point if I want to. I just need some proof that I pursued alternatives first. Which, frankly, makes sense to me. I could've gotten a benzo 10 years ago easily. Doctors also learn...

6. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      Never heard of it, sounds super extreme and irreversible. Have you done any research?

7. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Everytime I think about 80's music, martial arts, the first few years out of highschool, nature reserves, fishing or anything to do with a rich quality of life experience I get an impulsive urge to end my life since everything is ruined.

I think people with horrifying health problems know this part of human history is a dark scary time to be alive.

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Agree Agree x 2
    8. LongWait

LongWait Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Concert
      Can I ask your age Contrast?

9. Bartoli

Bartoli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2009,worsened 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I don't know much about this so I can't say. Audion was also making serious progress. Until they weren't. All eggs in one basket is never a good thing. They may have been entitled to more funding. I don't know. It's not about tinnitus.
      A flowchart isn't necessarily a bad thing. Just an organisational tool to make sure everyone gets the same care.
      Mental wellbeing is of all times. Even when a cure is around, psychologists will still be needed.
      In the hospital, no ENT I've ever seen sells hearing aids or benefits from their sale. Audiologists working in a hearing aid centre make money from selling hearing aids. Which is why I never had my hearing tested outside of a clinic.

10. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      What about getting FX-322 and washing it down with some RL-81... attack tinnitus from 2 fronts, imagine tinnitus is Hitler and they are the Allies...

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    11. grate_biff
      Alone

grate_biff Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma and or benzo withdrawal
      No, but it sounded reasonable to me this is what causes my problems when he explained it to me. A woman had success with this procedure. I will know more when I get a chance to talk to the surgeon.
      I guess it covers at least one theory behind noxacusis.

• Winner Winner x 1
    12. Bartoli

Bartoli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2009,worsened 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Now we're talking sense. The interaction between body and mind is where it's at. I think psychologists on the whole are more aware of the full picture than most biological scientists practicing their little thing in their niche. Psychiatry has spent a long time as the outcast of science and has been ridiculed oftentimes. We cannot deny that body and mind work in tandem, and if anything doesn't work properly, it starts to show. Not in predictable and measurable ways like in biological sciences but it's there nonetheless. That's why mental coaching is a big thing in sports nowadays.

It's good to think of CBT and derived approaches as somewhat proven effective, and of a complimentary approach at the very least.

By that I absolutely don't mean to say that tinnitus arises when something else is wrong in your life. Or that they have to keep on prodding until they find something in your childhood that is the reason why you can't deal with the tinnitus. I'm very much aware that tinnitus in itself as a sole complaint is fully capable of fucking up your mental wellbeing, and not the other way around. For me personally, I've never had any mental issues before tinnitus, and I would never let anyone tell me I had pre-existing problems that cause my tinnitus to be a problem.

13. ASilverLight
      In pain

ASilverLight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That's the question.
      I've had my fair share of mental issues before. The two years before getting tinnitus I was making pretty great improvements. Life started making more sense, I felt happier, less anxious etc - really, things were looking up for me. 2020 comes, I get tinnitus one week in, and I legit haven't stopped feeling suicidal since. The last time I felt genuinely suicidal before this was when I was 17 or so - so that's 6 years ago.

I refuse to believe that having mental issues or traumatic experiences is the reason people can't cope. Tinnitus itself can be traumatic if bad enough for a person. For me, life was falling into place and I was moving on, so getting this has brought back feelings I haven't felt since I was 14-17. Except that this time, what's causing these feelings probably won't improve, and I can't escape from it.

I'm just deeply sad. I've suffered a lot, I was just starting to be happy and enjoy life and work on myself, but now it feels pointless. I don't know my cause. I genuinely doubt mine lies within hearing loss - perhaps it's my neck, perhaps it's damage from inflammation, I don't know. Either way I don't think my particular case will benefit from any drug they're working on right now, and I don't want to suffer like this for another 60 years.

Still, I also don't want to hurt people by offing myself. I can't do that to my brother, my mother, my best friend. But I also don't want to suffer. I know with time my mindset may improve but knowing how much I have to give up and what I might never get to experience? Man, that sucks.

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    14. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Biologist (defined as any specialty relating to regenerative medicine) does not have much representation in the clinical world at all.

15. bobvann
      Fiendish

bobvann Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      E drums headphones
      Exactly that's what I will tell my GP when he scolds me for drinking too much red wine and weight. What is the point of worrying if all I do is exist to suffer...

• Hug Hug x 2
    16. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      How do you know that? RL-81 is designed to work on the brain.

• Like Like x 1
    17. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      RL-81 + FX-322 = TINNITUS GONE

Wait for it! You are 25, ok so you lost 5 years of your normal life, but life at 30 is just as good or even better.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    18. bobvann
      Fiendish

bobvann Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      E drums headphones
      Just like Lenire was going to be the savior right?

19. Bartoli

Bartoli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2009,worsened 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      What I meant was that doing research requires zoning in on a small fraction of the total picture, though I would argue the best researchers never lose sight of the global picture.

I just don't see where all these blanket statements about therapists and the psychological field come from as I'm sure you've never tried something like CBT. I somewhat understand your anger for not having a cure. Find me anyone who wouldn't be happy with a cure for tinnitus or hyperacusis, right?
      The polarization between the field of the mind and that of the body like you represent it just isn't something I see in real life.

• Like Like x 1
    20. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Tbh, I knew Lenire was bullshit. I never once participated in any Lenire discussion.
      You can't fix tinnitus with white noise and electrical stimulation, nor by using magnetic fields or any sort of external influence. It's like trying to treat Leprosy using topical antibiotic cream.
      Tinnitus is too deep rooted for that.
      Need to attack the brain (Trobalt helped many people tremendously... Valeri, Danny Boy, Christian78, just to name a few).

RL-81 they say is 15X (that's HUGE) more potent than Trobalt! So we KNOW Trobalt works but it can cause death.
      You can also attack by reducing hearing loss (FX-322's goal). A poster wrote their tinnitus goes away within 5 minutes when they put in their hearing aids...

Lenire you say??? It was almost a scam.

21. bobvann
      Fiendish

bobvann Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      E drums headphones
      Is that all :rockingbanana: Considering how we suffer some may risk it...:woot::wideyed:

After the negative reaction I have had trying TRT aka hearing aid sound therapy, it became obvious that Lenire was NOT the way to go...

22. alanisnotadj
      Batty

alanisnotadj Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1992 (got much worse in 2018)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      I've had tinnitus for 28 years (with extreme worsening 2 years ago) and nothing has ever improved it.

Lenire has been the only treatment to have a positive impact.
      So to call it a scam is a bit excessive.

• Agree Agree x 1
    23. ASilverLight
      In pain

ASilverLight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That's the question.
      To be fair, as long as there is nothing physical (besides hearing loss) causing tinnitus, the brain is exactly what seems logical to target. By now it's pretty much ruled that tinnitus does come from the brain in one way or another and not so much the ears. But if hearing loss is the cause, it seems logical that reversing that should also fix the tinnitus (as tinnitus often is a sign of something being wrong, targeting whatever is wrong should hopefully reduce or fix the issue).

As to answer your specific reply to me earlier, I don't know where my tinnitus comes from but it may very well be some kind of clogging issue OR my neck, in which case targeting the brain wouldn't work, I think. I'm working hard to fix my issues but I'm not improving at all.

24. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Perhaps I was a bit harsh.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    25. JohnDoe8776059

JohnDoe8776059 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      As long as I can remember
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphones or genetic
      I've definitely had thoughts like this before. It makes me feel worse when I think that I alone caused my own tinnitus out of impulsive decisions. Just waiting for those phase 2 results at the end of September.

26. PeteJ
      Depressed

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      You have no clue about what you're talking about.

• Funny Funny x 1
    27. PeteJ
      Depressed

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I still don't call it effective if it only helps a really small percentage of people who have tinnitus. The human population is, what, 7.8 billion people? Out of that, how many have tinnitus?

If Lenire was helping 99.9% of tinnitus sufferers, you'd hear about it. Since tinnitus is a physical condition, I think the inner ear regeneration treatments sound more promising. But, I am skeptical about that too. But, at least, the science behind it (of which I have limited knowledge) *sounds* good.

28. PeteJ
      Depressed

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      It might be based in the brain but it's a result of hearing loss and/or damage in the ear(s). Isn't it? Can this be debated at all? I was under the impression it can't.

I don't think there is any other injury to the body in which the brain 'malfunctions' like this because of the injury. Producing phantom sounds in your head or ears is unique.

A normal person will have tinnitus and ringing in the ears after loud, excessive noise. Concerts and loud clubs can cause it but for the normal person, without significant damage it goes away. But, for the chronic tinnitus sufferer, it doesn't. What would experts and researchers say about this?

What does the inner ear and brain look like in the normal person compared to the chronic tinnitus sufferer?

People also have different degrees and severities of tinnitus. People also have hyperacusis, noxacusis and ear pain on top of tinnitus or in various cases, it's worse than their tinnitus. How does all that factor in?

• Like Like x 2
    29. Bartoli

Bartoli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2009,worsened 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      What things have you tried so far Pete? All I can see is you telling over and over what symptoms you have, only to shoot off every piece of well-meant advice that is given to you.

• Agree Agree x 2
    30. Zugzug

Zugzug Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown; Likely autoimmune; Certainly not noise-induced
      I think a lot more of it is about the analysis of progress. CBT is a wonderful thing -- I've done it in the past and I'm doing it right now. But, it has the following going for it:

Tons of guides for doing it yourself for free if you have the discipline for learning more about it. Sure, a professional would be better in many cases, but the theory of mindfulness, ERP, etc. is not something that every day people can't do after reading a few books. How do I know this? Years ago, I had an OCD flare up so I bought books on the topic and started doing the exercises. I went and saw a therapist and she basically confirmed that I was doing it correctly. She had some good recommendations, but at a point, I could stop the appointments because I knew what I was doing.

The above is utterly untrue for biomedicine. Labs, expensive equipment, materials, etc. are required. Hence, by advocating for CBT spending for chronic illness, you are basically throwing all of the money at improving a self-guided treatment by 5%, and ignoring biomedical treatments that could improve the person's condition by 30%+, depending on how good the treatment is.

CBT for chronic illness should be something that everyone does privately, but it doesn't make much sense to advocate for it when it has a firm ceiling. On the other hand, it should be advocated for when it comes to mental illness, as people with mental illness deserve the gains from psychological research like anyone else.

It's flatly ridiculous that chronic illness sufferers receive the shaming of being "anti-psychology." No one ever says this when people are looking for cancer cures. The people who think psychology fixes it right up probably have never suffered from a physical illness enough to know its limitations.

• Agree Agree x 6
      • Like Like x 1