Suicidal

Discussion in 'Support' started by jeremy06, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Brian P

Brian P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ménière’s disease
      The vaccine tinnitus has not gone away but that could be because of the benzodiazepines tinnitus on top of it. My taper was not kind to me and made it louder with more tones and more shrill.

2. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Wrfortiscue Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Yeah wearing earmuffs and earplugs is just worsening my hyperacusis and not making my tinnitus any better so I would agree not to over protect.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Forever hopeful
      Disappointed

Forever hopeful Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015 resolved, 4/20 L ear, increase 2/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2015,noise,2020-21 SNHL
      Thank you. I really appreciate it.

4. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

OnceUponaTime Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Your tinnitus is fairly new per your profile. You have to give it some time either for it to calm down or for you to find ways to cope with it. Take one day at a time and try to calm down.

I'm sorry that there is not much that we can say to make things better for you. But after having tinnitus for 10 years, I can say that remaining calm during bad days has helped me a lot.

I wish you better days.
      :huganimation:

• Like Like x 1
    5. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      May I ask what benzo did you taper off from?

One has to be very careful when tapering off.

Slow is the name of the game to avoid nasty withdrawal symptoms.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      How long have you had hyperacusis? -and-
      How often are you wearing ear protection? (If I may ask.)

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Wrfortiscue Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Hyperacusis maybe over a year which worsened without me knowing what it was. I put earplugs or earmuffs whenever leaving the house, driving and stores.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. Brian P

Brian P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ménière’s disease
      I took Klonopin for 6 weeks and tapered it for 9 weeks.

9. Brian P

Brian P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ménière’s disease
      I don’t use ear protection often. I’ve had it since the 2nd dose of Pfizer. 36 hours after to be exact.

10. Brian Newman

Brian Newman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting/loud noise
      Damn that’s crazy man, the vaccine messed you up bad. Sorry to hear. Notice any hearing loss? I also read it causes neuroinflammation in the brain that makes things worse. But I have heard of a lot of people getting tinnitus and hyperacusis from COVID-19 and the vaccine.

11. danielthor

danielthor Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      B8730043-8E82-4F73-ADBE-851D4F334CB8.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 2
    12. Nanny chocolate

Nanny chocolate Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unbelievable caused by audiologist!
      Hi. I wonder what your profession is @Damocles?

You write so eloquently.

I’m still laying off the Werther's!

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    13. Brian P

Brian P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ménière’s disease
      @AliasM, were you exposed to a lot of music or noise for your tinnitus to get this bad? Even when you were younger?

14. AliasM
      Depressed

AliasM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Botched lumbar puncture, CSF leak
      Not at all. Only ever been to a couple of concerts in my life and none in almost 2 decades. Never even listened to music. I liked my peace and quiet. Pod casts in the background on Alexa if I ever listened to anything at all.

At first I didn't know the cause of my tinnitus because I was gaslit by doctors so bad. Now I know that is was caused by a CSF leak. I was left to leak for 15 months before I got treatment with blood patch a month ago yesterday. My tinnitus started a few days after a botched lumbar puncture but was intermittent and much more mild. Severe 24/7 tinnitus and hyperacusis set in 4 month post lumbar puncture. Tinnitus is very common in the CSF leak community. Most people don't have it as their main symptom though. It is definitely mine. It has gone away for a few people straight after having their leak sealed but they are few. Medical literature says chronic low CSF pressure causes traction on the auditory nerve.

15. DaveFromChicago

DaveFromChicago Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headcold/Flu
      Thanksgiving was excruciating. Tinnitus launched an unprecedented, full scale Vietcong attack for one and one half days.

All of the in-laws were over, and I felt so stressfully, emotionally battered that I nearly voided the Turkey dinner into the toilet.

I notified myself of the schizophrenic situation wherein I had to play the positively regarding host on the outside, but was increasingly panic stricken on the inside.

I am absolutely depleted.

All of my habituation reserves are exhausted.

No one around me is interested in hearing about this anymore.

Hearing Aids during such a spike are useless.

By now I know that it is only a question of when the next spike will at random occur.

Every Holiday is now accompanied by such an impending sense of dread that I fantasize about those prisoners, who during the Argentine Dirty War could tell by just hearing the Guard's footsteps exactly who was going to be subjected to another session of their electrically induced torture.

I feel such a sense of gutted lassitude today.

• Hug Hug x 8
      • Agree Agree x 1
    16. Stacken77
      Wishful

Stacken77 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise (likely headphones & cars), Acoustic trauma did me in
      I'm sorry to hear that, @DaveFromChicago.
      Wouldn't it make sense to use hearing protection during such times to mitigate a spike? Or is the tinnitus too loud for hearing protection?

• Like Like x 1
    17. Brian P

Brian P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ménière’s disease
      That’s horrific.

18. Brian P

Brian P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ménière’s disease
      I will write a success story. I’m not sure if I will have good cell service in hell though...

• Like Like x 2
    19. Brian P

Brian P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ménière’s disease
      I had preexisting low frequency hearing loss from Ménière’s that I didn’t know I had until the vaccine. I had ear problems for years but never went to a doctor.

20. DaveFromChicago

DaveFromChicago Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headcold/Flu
      Thanks for the Concern and the Question, Stacken77:

Forgive me, but I do not know what you mean by "hearing protection."

I have the Widex Hearing Aids with a white noise masker, but the masking sound only adds a layer to the already irritatingly loud tinnitus.

I also have the Smith & Wesson Gun Range Rated sound blocker headphones. I use them, for example, when I go through a penetratingly noisy Car Wash. But using them under normal circumstances only emphasizes the tinnitus by blocking out all external sounds.

When one of these spikes occurs, it is impervious to every conceivable palliative strategy I can conjure up.

These spikes remind me of the account given by Michael Herr in his book "Dispatches" regarding the operations of the North Vietnamese Army at Dak To in November 1967; in spite of our Area Intel they ambushed the American Infantry, fought as long as they wanted to, and then unaccountably vanished.

We we are having roller coaster weather, and the large barometric pressure swings can trigger my Migraines.

I am wondering if to some degree this may also cause a tinnitus spike.

This may at least be a theorizing, starting point towards some treatment possibilities.

21. Clerkp

Clerkp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Interesting. Yesterday was my worst day in quite a while as well. Not even a large gathering. Just more time around the kids than usual. My ears were killing me last night. Didn’t sleep well. Woke up feeling better however. It wasn’t that loud so I wasn’t sure what to attribute it to. The food? Strange.

22. Brian Newman

Brian Newman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting/loud noise
      Ahhh ok, sorry to hear man. This condition is taking the life out of me. Hopefully we get relief.

• Agree Agree x 1
    23. Stacken77
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I were primarily referring to earplugs, like standard foam earplugs or custom molded high fidelity ones. But it can be hard to follow conversations with them in, so it's not a fantastic solution. If sound exposure is the culprit behind our spikes, then dampening the sound using protection should lessen the result.

• Like Like x 1
    24. Stacken77
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Spikes can be weird, but do consider the possibility that it could have been the sound exposure, even if it wasn't loud. Before I became very sensitive, I got spikes from time to time in the same way, but sleep would almost always "reset" it to baseline levels; this is common for many. It could be food, but I doubt it.

It is good if we try to mitigate that which causes spikes. There is absolutely nothing wrong with, for example, investing in a pair of high fidelity custom molded earplugs that just reduces the overall volume a little, and use them for gatherings like that.

• Like Like x 1
    25. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      For me, it is.
      They're expensive though? I wanted to get those but the price was prohibitive.

Do people who have severe/loud tinnitus work? Can they work? I guess if you have savings?

• Hug Hug x 1
    26. Stacken77
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I can understand that. My ultimate priority is to maintain the baseline and not have it worsen further, hence why there's not really a choice whether to protect or not. But I get your point.
      Yeah, they're expensive, around $200 or something. My reply was only a recommendation which presumed money wasn't an issue.

• Like Like x 1
    27. Clerkp

Clerkp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Good advice. I’ve purchased a few musicians earplugs on Amazon that work in this way. I’ll probably go for the customs at some point. I agree, even taking the edge off would probably help in those circumstances.

My goal is the same as yours. I want to keep things from getting worse for as long as possible. If it wasn’t for needing vaccines every 6 months for the rest of my life, I think I could probably avoid most triggers indefinitely. The vaccines are throwing a wrench into things. I feel like I’m playing Russian roulette every time I get one. 3 so far and looks like a 4th will be coming this year.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    28. AliasM
      Depressed

AliasM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Botched lumbar puncture, CSF leak
      I haven't been to this forum in months. I've tried a lot of things since taking a forum break and none have helped. I even signed up to Liam Boehm's course which was a complete waste of time and money. If woo woo, pseudoscience and conspiracy theories are your thing, then go for it.

My tinnitus is incredibly severe - loud metal grinding in my head, ringing, metallic chimes, static and more 24/7. I can't handle it. People say the first few months are the worst, but I am no better now than I was in the beginning. It's just too severe and intrusive and I have started gathering documents for my Pegasos application.

If anyone is at where I am at, please can you tell me which organisation is best to join - Pegasos or Exit International? You have to be a subscriber of either/or to fulfill the Pegasos requirements. I'm not sure if Exit International accept a reciprocal Pegasos subscription to access their services. I won't have anyone going with me, my family have all refused, so I will need an Exit International volunteer. Can anyone tell me about the process please. Thank you.

• Hug Hug x 4
    29. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      I'm so so sorry to hear of your situation. It's devastating and completely heartbreaking :( I am considering Pegasos myself and I'm currently saving up for VAD, as an insurance of a peaceful way out. And if things get much worse, Pegasos will be the one I will contact for help. I already emailed them before and they replied that they have helped people with tinnitus and hyperacusis before.

• Hug Hug x 2
    30. Brian P

Brian P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ménière’s disease
      I tried to DIY it and it failed in June. I used exit bag and was hospitalized in inpatient psych.

Pegasos accepts tinnitus as a reason and they speak English. Call them.

• Hug Hug x 3