Suicidal

Discussion in 'Support' started by jeremy06, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Jerad

Jerad Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication ototoxicity
      @Jupiterman, just something to consider, man. This shows us what would happen; the glory and prestige. No pressure, though. But think about it—that’s all I ask. This could be the answer we’re all looking for—a legit cure! :rockingbanana:

Once again, I call on you to work your gassy magic. Throw yourself upon us and meet us sky-to-sky. Do you dare, Jupiter?

Do you got what it takes, my man? Are you chicken? :woot:

Greet us with your land of fumes—your hydrogen and helium—and take us to our tombs.

What If Jupiter Swallowed Earth?

• Funny Funny x 3
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. AnthonyMcDonald
      Confused

AnthonyMcDonald Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I moved away from Russia. I currently live in a quiet part of California.

My tinnitus loudness has not improved unfortunately, but I guess the quality has improved a lot (from ~15 tones to 2-3) and stability more or less (it was much better before but I've had a few setbacks due to carelessness). My hyperacusis improved massively too.

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. Blackbird1016

Blackbird1016 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music Festival
      I completely get how your feeling. It isn't worth losing your job over though. I was severely suicidal the first 2.5 months. I barely ate or left my bed. But it's really not worth it. I have things left I want to do that I can do so I'm still here.

In some cases it can take 2 years to resolve. It's way too early to give up.

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. Ben Winders
      Pensive

Ben Winders Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      Get a USB camera to look inside your ear. 10 bucks on Amazon.

5. Playdohh

Playdohh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      It's not that I want to lose my job, it's that I can't physically do it. To do my job, I am in meetings 6+ hours a day. Right now my tolerance seems to be around 40 to 45 decibels before my ears get irritated. My own voice starts irritating them. So unless this improves fast, there's no way I can continue my job.

I appreciate the support that things will get better though. Thanks.
      I commend the people that have the strength to push through this, whether it's mild, moderate, or severe. As you said, it's very intrusive. It turns your life upside down.
      Thank you for the positivity. I agree with you, it is very unsettling how little any of the experts really know about this. I hope that you can continually see incremental improvements and grab that carrot at the end of the stick. I admire your perseverance.

• Like Like x 2
    6. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Wait, what??? Your hyperacusis/tinnitus can handle a long distance flight now? What plane(s) did you fly, did you measure the cabin dB levels?

Congrats on your move and improvement!

• Like Like x 1
    7. Damocles
      No Mood

Damocles Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otitis media
      I don't understand it either. The word most "normal" people apply to the invasion of themselves and their personal space, by sound, is "annoying".

Normal person: "A car alarm was going off outside my bedroom window all night; it was so annoying".

So "normal person" seems to apply their limited experience of assault by noise to their limited imagining of eternal assault by noise, and what you get is: "tinnitus must be (very) annoying"

Of course, make that one night car alarm an every night car alarm and they end up looking something like this. ▼

shock.jpg

Maybe those few who have experienced such a thing think they can relate to us (they can certainly relate better than "normal person"; with his/her infinite knowledge of all things they have had no first-hand experience of). But an alarm, a construction site, a flight path; these all have solutions. Fight or flight. Petition or move (temporarily or permanently).

And people have short memories; "semi-normal person", undamaged and unchanged, quickly goes back to being "fully normal person", who unfortunately lacks the imagination to eject these get-outs from a hypothetical scenario and conceptualise the result.

A car alarm that followed you everywhere you go, all the time? I guess that would be very "annoying", is where they'll come back to.

But I'm not concerned with "normal person" who believes that we believe it. I long since gave up on them. He/she will believe it when they're getting eaten by the Ninja Pirate Zombie Robots themselves. So all in good time.

No. I'm more confused by our fellow sufferers who still think this phenomenon is non-lethal.

To get a "free-sample" and still think it's not the party-starter the VIP customers in the reviews section have made it out to be (when you decide to buy the whole product)? I guess a mere glimpse of the Ninja Pirate Zombie Robots just isn't enough for these guys. Stick them with "normal person".

A couple of intelligent members on this site figured out Severe and Mild/Moderate tinnitus should be viewed as completely separate conditions a while ago anyway.

Credit to @Gabriel5050 for this ▼ awesome analogy.
      But even then, I sometimes see people who post in this thread (the severest of severe sufferers), perpetuating this myth that tinnitus only "kills" by suicide. Don't take that personally if you reading have ever done this. Because f*ck! I'm guilty of it myself.
      :oops:

The fact I ever said that has niggled at me since, but I sacrificed breaking convention that day to make way for the wider point I wanted to focus on. That is to say, I might be an edgelord, but I'm not so much of an edgelord I'm going to challenge two pre-established narratives in one post.

Here's the thing, tinnitus can take the job of ending your life off of you.

I'm testament to that fact. That's all I'm going to say. I can't write about it, because I find it too traumatic. But I touched on it once in the past here. No story short: this thing almost killed me on its own, no suicide in attendance.

To add to that, on another tinnitus forum I used to frequent (well over ten years ago) that no longer exists today, I'll never forget reading of a guy a decade ahead of me, who had developed heart problems as a result of the endless adrenaline rush tinnitus had treated him to. The adrenaline (read anxiety) was literally destroying his internal organs. Of course if that man is no longer with us (a perfectly reasonable assumption) his death certificate does not say "tinnitus"; it says "heart attack".

That's just one outcome out of the myriad of outcomes, this prize wins you. Use your imagination; you're already living the unimaginable.

On the bright-side, things are looking up. Perhaps in "5-10 years" we'll emerge from this struggle victorious, with "normal person" and "non-tinnitus-suffering-tinnitus-sufferer" never knowing about the monster we faced down and obliterated.

It-movie-TA.jpg

• Winner Winner x 6
    8. AnthonyMcDonald
      Confused

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I wouldn't say I can handle it. I was on benzos the entire time so I avoided spiking. The cabin was probably around 80-85 dB. I was wearing earmuffs.

9. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I didn't know benzos prevented noise-induced tinnitus spikes. It must have been a very long trip.

So how long are you staying in Cali?

10. Jerad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication ototoxicity
      A meme I made...

upload_2022-12-16_5-53-47.jpeg

Life is odd: how it preps and chooses what will happen; who will die or suffer; who will live in endless shame or break because of torment; and who will live in La La Land and seize orgasmic joy. Life’s a cruel joke — a tragic comedy — as it shows no favor to the helpless... only to their madness. Am I right?

Do you realize, there’s only a 1 in 50,000 chance of getting hyperacusis or noxacusis? That's 20 people for every million. And of those 20, only a few will be severe or catastrophic. It begs the question: if it’s so rare — exceedingly rare — then why should anyone get it? According to the National Weather Service, a person stands a higher chance of getting struck by lightning — 1 in 15,000 (much higher, in fact). Bizarre... this world; how I conjured-up insanity in the unlikeliest of ways.

upload_2022-12-16_6-11-19.gif

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    11. AnthonyMcDonald
      Confused

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      They do prevent them for me. Staying indefinitely.

• Hug Hug x 1
    12. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Oh so you're a US citizen... lucky you :huganimation:

• Like Like x 1
    13. seppl
      Cool

seppl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/14 (tones) 12/22 (hum, right ear)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Never thought I would write in this thread. I have had a 4 kHz morse code in my left ear and a 1.5 kHz whistle in my right ear since 2014.

My girlfriend made an appointment with a chiropractic. 6 days after the chiropractic adjusting my neck (crack sounds), I woke up with 100 Hz low-frequency drone sound in my right ear.

I think the reason was the neck adjusting...

The sound stops when I am lying on my belly or look down. It's louder when I am lying on my back or look up. When I look straight, it stops, comes back, and stops.

I am on Prednisone now.

If this low-frequency drone sound is not going away, I am ending myself next year. This drone sound is so awful.

• Hug Hug x 4
    14. Jerad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication ototoxicity
      I hope you’ll be able to habituate to it or accept it in time if it stays, even though that might sound far fetched. I also have a low drone around that frequency and it blares. I thought I would never accept it because it was so intrusive. I did, though, within 5 months. So it’s a non-issue for me now, miraculously. I’m actually habituated to that tone. I know everyone’s situation can be different, though. I don’t speak for everyone.

However, I also have a reactive tone that’s electrical in feeling. It moves from ear to ear and sounds like a stick of dynamite fizzing erratically, with zapping, too. The frequency is so high that it causes physical pain, literally, as if it’s really an electrical current inside me, and it’s not maskable either. I feel pain from it almost every minute. It’s a great betrayal from my body — to thrust this chaos onto me. I haven’t accepted it and it’s been a year since it started. I used to think that the drone was the embodiment of tinnitus from hell. No, for me, it’s this new one, hands down. I also have catastrophic noxacusis, too, which I can’t accept.

But I hope you can get to a place where you’re okay. When these conditions make you incompatible with the world, that’s when your life has truly lost contention, in my opinion; when you can no longer be around people, engage in most hobbies, work, or even do the most basic of tasks. That’s where I am now because of some small, seemingly harmless events that were out of my control. Just be careful, as it can get to that place; it can get a whole lot worse. The flames of hell can come to you, even in the night, when you least expect them. It doesn’t take that much. But if you’re careful, you should be okay. I’m a rare exception.

• Hug Hug x 4
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    15. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I have had 30 years of tinnitus.

From 1992 until 2014 it was considerable but I would say moderate.

In 2014 I suffered an attack by another musician who blasted off in my face. The following morning I awoke in hell. I vocal matched my internal noise to a decibel metre at 56-60 dB.

I wanted to die. I asked my adorable wife to take me to Switzerland for euthanasia. She refused.

“Dave - you have to be bigger than this thing. You can do it - I know you can do it.”

I’ll cut a long story short.

I was a professional jazz trombonist, first call in five bands. Aged 75 I decided to cut short my career to avoid further damage.

My wife studied clinical hypnotherapy at King's College Hospital in London, and qualified.

Sometime later she gave me a hypnotherapy session which she recorded onto my iPhone.

She suggested that my sounds would become much less intrusive, would fade into the background, and eventually would hardly ever bother me.

My precious Sylvie passed away in November 2020. I still play her recording at times when I am falling asleep.

Hypnotherapy cannot stop your tinnitus - but it can quite literally divert your attention away from it so that you are hardly ever aware of it.

Why not give it a try.

Don’t immediately look for results - just allow them to happen over time.

Dave xx
      Jazzer

• Hug Hug x 6
      • Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    16. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      What happened bro? You need a gunshot noise to perforate an eardrum.

17. bobvann
      Ape-like

bobvann Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      Hope all is well :)

It's not so much the sound as the intrusiveness.

18. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I understand Bob - but it is possible to reach a situation where you rarely notice it. Don’t get me wrong. Go looking for it and you will find it, but as we know, we can never again achieve silence, so if we can cultivate an acceptance of stillness, we are able to survive.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    19. Stuart-T
      Thinking

Stuart-T Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear wax or COVID-19 infection
      Don't go near any more chiropractors. Yes, sounds like the neck adjustment has upset something and causing pressure in the inner ear depending on your position.

• Like Like x 1
    20. Jerad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication ototoxicity
      upload_2022-12-17_14-49-14.jpeg

It’s that time of day...
      What can I say
      What am I feelin’
      Staring at this ceilin’
      Tinnitus blarin’
      Dunno how I’m farin’
      Looking at my jammies
      That I bought from “Sammies”
      Online store
      The year before
      All this hell broke loose
      But what’s the use?
      This sux
      And fux
      My mind galore
      Where it's bloodied, battered, and sore
      Though I gotta get better
      And go eat some cheddar
      For my midnight snack
      That’s on the rack
      Out back
      In my outhouse that has my food
      Hey, it’s not so crude
      As it sounds
      I also feed it to my bloodhounds
      Every day at half past noon
      I started doing that last June
      And they don’t even care about the smell
      Even though it can be like hell
      With the toilet there and the cheese
      Baked together by a winter freeze
      When it’s cold as Christmas at night
      But they’re not so fussy — it’s alright
      It’s cheddar with hints of methane
      It won’t drive the dogs insane
      Capiche?
      It keeps them on their leash
      And obedient
      They just want that food and rent
      They’re just doggy-dogs that do not care
      Don’t patronize or ask what’s fair
      Cuz if they did, they’d be too human
      Be too harsh and I’d be fumin’
      So they cut the cheese and eat it proud
      With wild barks that sound so loud
      And I scurry off to find my muffs
      As noxacusis keeps me in cuffs
      But they don’t know any better
      Food’s their life — their banner or header
      But I’m the lonely soul
      With cheddar and dogs to keep me whole
      Or try to, at least
      Man... this life’s a beast
      o_O

• Winner Winner x 2
      • Creative Creative x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    21. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      This guy isn't happy with chiropractors:

The Chiropractors Who Kill

• Informative Informative x 1
    22. AnthonyMcDonald
      Confused

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I'm sure you'll be fine.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    23. seppl
      Cool

seppl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/14 (tones) 12/22 (hum, right ear)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I am low-drone tinnitus free since 11 hours now. I am drinking a lot of water, taking Magnesium and Prednisone. Eating only in the morning. Hope I will heal.

Guys, wish me luck!

• Winner Winner x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    24. Damocles
      No Mood

Damocles Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otitis media
      You've been through the mill my friend, but you've made it look easy.

We all have.

All of us, bonded by this silent noise, truly are God's chosen. (Whatever God is to each individual).

Chosen to suffer, and chosen to survive that suffering.

The hell we're being forged for?

3.jpg

I don't know.

But should we ever have our health back, we'll be the most resilient our species have ever produced.

• Like Like x 5
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    25. Travis Henry
      Cynical

Travis Henry Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1 Moderna Vac, Noise and stress I guess, its killing me
      Fuck, I am barely making it. Never ever let anyone push you to take benzos on a daily basis. Don't take them at all if possible. I had a livable level and sound tolerance before benzos. If I die, please make sure it's widely known that it was completely because of reactive tinnitus and hyperacusis. The lack of awareness and proper protocol in place by audiologists is a fucking killer. I went to Dallas Ear Institute about having tinnitus in the first place and they prescribed Amitriptyline and Valium, fucking poisoned me from the start. Parents not believing me when I got hyperacusis really bad and wanted to stay home and in quiet. They pushed me to more drugs and hospital and threw me in the psych ward. So fucked up. No one takes tinnitus seriously. All I needed was rest and to learn to deal with the intrusive tinnitus I had in January and protect my hearing, but I got told not to over protect when I should have been wearing protection when not in a controlled sound environment. Dogs barking and going anywhere loud can't fuck you up when you have tinnitus. FML. I can't even think straight anymore.

I love you all! Keep up the good fight. I will do my best to push on, but I am in the 9th circle of hell.

• Hug Hug x 16
      • Agree Agree x 1
    26. AnthonyMcDonald
      Confused

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I f*cking hate this bullshit Jastrebitch myth.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Hug Hug x 1
    27. Jerad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication ototoxicity
      upload_2022-12-17_22-55-15.jpeg

• Hug Hug x 4
    28. Guywithapug
      Dreaming

Guywithapug Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      I had to do a double take because I know I didn't post in the suicidal thread...

I think that the toughest are chosen to suffer, as we are the only ones able to endure physical and mental agony. Either that or this is all just a simulation run by an advanced civilization, getting their kicks by afflicting pain and suffering to whatever we are in their game.

Either way, I think we're forged for greatness. We're not simply cast from a mold but rather molded from our experiences, good and bad. So I raise my glass to you my friend and say, tonight we dream, tomorrow we conquer!

• Winner Winner x 3
    29. Stacken77
      Wishful

Stacken77 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise (likely headphones & cars), Acoustic trauma did me in
      I do sometimes entertain the thought that we may regain our health again. In my view, it shouldn't be outside the realm of possibility, as we once lived a life that wasn't plagued by these ear problems, and that healthy "circuitry" should not be impossible to reestablish.

What if we, within our lifetime regain our peace and freedom? - What would that leave us? Some of us would carry an experience, having gone from (what can only be considered) "death" to life, from hell to paradise, from a torture prison to boundless freedom. How would that impact our view on life and death?

I can only agree that we would be one of the most resilient, having endured such unimaginable pain for so long.

• Winner Winner x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    30. Guywithapug
      Dreaming

Guywithapug Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      I don't entertain the thought, I obsess over it. An all-consuming infatuation in fact.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Hug Hug x 4
      • Like Like x 1