Acoustic CR® Neuromodulation: Do It Yourself Guide

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by jibs, Apr 24, 2013.

1. mpjanic

mpjanic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concerts
      You may try this basic pattern of 13-14kHz followed with 30sec pause, see if it helps, this works for my tinnitus, but it could be that your tinnitus is specific.
      Tinnitus sound therapy 13-14kHz - 15s tones +...

2. Wojtek Kalka
      Badass

Wojtek Kalka Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Very loud concert.
      I hear nothing over 12k

3. mpjanic

mpjanic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concerts
      There is a paper that is based on the same principal as acoustic CR neuromodulation, i.e. not stimulating the frequencies of the tinnitus but those adjacent ones, hoping that those adjacent ones will exhibit lateral inhibition and inhibit spontaneous firing of cells responsible for the tinnitus.

Only in this case they recommend listening to the music and remove the frequencies of your tinnitus in the music file. I used Audacity to remove +/-0.5kHz near my tinnitus frequency, maybe you can try similar for you.

Paper attached

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    4. Wojtek Kalka
      Badass

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Very loud concert.
      Thank you @mpjanic I will try to do the same next, take some of my favorite jazz and classic and remove my four major frequencies. Does it work for you? And what does it do to you?

5. mpjanic

mpjanic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concerts
      I just found about this few days ago, so I can't really say what is the effect. When I listen to the music file I generated, there is some prolonged silence after, but of course after some time tinnitus comes back. I plan to modify all my music like this, as in the paper patients were under such treatment for 1 year, and after 6 months there was statistically significant improvement.

6. Wojtek Kalka
      Badass

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Very loud concert.
      On the paper it says .. the frequency band of one octave width centered at the individual tinnitus frequency was removed from the music energy spectrum ... in my case main frequency is 7.2khzr one octave from 7200 hz is down 3600 and 14400 up so all frequencies from 5400 to 10800 are rem0ved wow this is A LOT ... imho .. music sounds very muffled without 5400+ frequencies ..

7. mpjanic

mpjanic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concerts
      I don't think you need to go one octave width even though they say so, that may be too much, I just used arbitrarily +/-0.5kHz

8. mpjanic

mpjanic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concerts
      And this was just to be sure my tinnitus frequency is within the gap, as I am not sure exactly what frequency it is.

9. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      It means a notch from half an octave below to half an octave above. It's the width of the notch that is 1 octave.

10. Wojtek Kalka
      Badass

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Very loud concert.
      Sure which is always twice the frequency, by definition .. 200, 4o0, 800, 1600 etc ...

11. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I don't understand what you mean. What you and I are saying are different things.
      The notch you need to create around 1 kHz is not [ 0.5 kHz - 2 kHz ]. That would be a 2 octave wide notch. You need a 1 octave wide notch.

BTW, there are different schools of thought when it comes to the width of the notch that is necessary.

12. Wojtek Kalka
      Badass

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Very loud concert.
      Yes would be from 750 to 1.5k .. trying to find papers how big the notch should be, if it is one octave it is crap, music sound pretty shitty without this frequencies totally cut of ...

13. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      No it would not: it's a logarithmic/exponential scale, so half an octave before 1 kHz is around 707 Hz and half an octave above 1 kHz is 1.414 kHz, for a notch of [ 0.707 kHz - 1.414 kHz ] which is a full octave width. If my math is correct, that is.

• Like Like x 1
    14. Wojtek Kalka
      Badass

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Very loud concert.
      Sorry I was just approximating it is more a bit more complicated in music theory the half octave is a augmented 4th which is the six tone on the chromatic scale, which has usually the 11//8 or 64/45.. but sometimes it is calculated differently, Google tritonus, same goes depending which tuning you use a well temperate tuning has different frequencies for half octaves. it is not just simply math yes physically sure it is exponential but musically there is something like the diatonic comma etc and every running has different frequencies.. also the human brain can do something like adaptive perfect tuning AFAIK I am not not sure the ear reacts to physical correct math or musical tuning, have to research that.

http://www.phy.mtu.edu/~suits/scales.html here is more info

15. Wojtek Kalka
      Badass

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Very loud concert.
      Going back to the original topic.. tried acrn now for nine days, 3-4h a day interesting I can change my main frequency bit with it but not the noise level :(, I have three to four frequencies as tinnitus

16. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      When it comes to notching sound through a DSP, it's actually pure math (there is no ambiguity).
      I appreciate that you have knowledge about scales and music theory, but the DSP filter is completely oblivious to that.

17. Issa

Issa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5-2-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      Hello guys I find that acoustic neuromodulation keeps my tinnitus low, does anyone know if this is permanent change? I mean if i kept listening to ACRN 2 hours daily, would my tinnitus stay in its low level all the way? Thank you.

18. Elliott.S
      Doubtful

Elliott.S Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music practice - Attending loud concerts
      I have no idea how this works in relation to the electric activity in our brain, but one thing is for sure, this neuromodulation does have an instant effect on T.

I guess the various frequencies are "playing with our brain" in order to make us lose track of our actual T.
      I haven't tried using it for hours straight so far, but even listening to it for 30 minutes provide instant relief while listening.

There's definitely something going on here and it doesn't seem to work the same way as pure white/pink noises do. I don't know about you guys, but white/pink noises do not have any effect on me as I have too many frequencies going on at the same time.

Has somebody experienced "long-lasting" relief after listening for hours in a row ?

19. EatMoTacos
      No Mood

EatMoTacos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music and being dumb
    20. bellafjelle
      Angelic

bellafjelle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Assault which perforated my ear drum (Spike 2017 unknown)
      I can't seem to change every individual frequency on http://www.generalfuzz.net/acrn/

I can't hear anything above 13.800hz, but my T is around 12.500hz. So when I set it for 12.500hz then the last tone is at 17.400hz. In this case I would like the last tone to be one I can hear.

Can anyone else change the individual frequency from your browser?

21. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      Holy hell! This worked for my tinnitus. when the beeping stops my T is definitely changed, very silent:woot:

OMG I cant believe it....I have found something that can give me relief:cry:....I hope it don't stop working

How can some random beeps do that??

I now want ear maskers with this sound:D

• Like Like x 1
    22. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I cant thank you enough @mpjanic!!:thankyousign: you don't know what this means to me.....

23. Carlyi
      Blah

Carlyi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ
      I can't even hear this sound..?? i played it on very high volume and i don't hear anything.
      Am i getting deaf?

24. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Really? Remember the beeping only plays every 30 seconds, in between there is silence.

25. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Not all speakers can reproduce these high frequencies correctly. It could be the speakers (and not your ears) at fault.

26. JodieStephens

JodieStephens Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      where is the website that you got the frequencies from? Is it good on iPods?

27. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @JodieStephens,

Using headphones with an iPod and listening to neuromodulation tones maybe alright, but I don't recommend that you listen to music using headphones/earbuds etc even at low volume. Especially that your tinnitus is so intrusive.

Michael

28. JodieStephens

JodieStephens Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Where do I get the Neuromodulation tones?

29. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Options I know of:
      1. Going with an audiologist and be setup with an ACRN (Acoustic Coordinated Reset Neuromodulation) device (the device itself is some kind of refurbished iPod). Cost: a few thousand dollars.
      2. Open up a browser to generalfuzz's ACRN page. Cost: free

30. JodieStephens

JodieStephens Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I live in Canada with universal healthcare, I wonder if the device would be paid for.

and generalfuzz's page doesn't play the sounds.