Applying for Jobs with Tinnitus Is Exhausting and Soul Crushing

Discussion in 'Support' started by ZFire, Aug 31, 2022.

1. ZFire
      Pacman

ZFire Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 (mild) & 04/2021 (severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity (2012) Unknown-likely noise induce (2021)
      This sucks. I’ve been unemployed for a year now and have been applying for jobs pretty much non-stop for 5 months. So far I’ve only landed interviews with 2 different companies. My interview with the first company which was 3 and half months ago, I was actually offered the job, but ultimately declined the offer due to a COVID 19 vaccine requirement. There’s been a decent amount of anecdotal reports here (and elsewhere) regarding the vaccines and its potential side effects, the main one being the possibility that it could cause tinnitus or worsen previous existing tinnitus (semi-permanently at least). After some deliberation, I decided it just wasn’t worth the risk. My tinnitus is already bad enough and I did not want to jeopardize that. I’m still not sure if I made the right call here in the end, but clearly tinnitus was a big factor in the decision making.

Now this 2nd company which I’ve been currently conducting interviews with have decided to drop me. To be fair, my rejection was largely due to lacking experience in a specific function related to the job position, so I can’t really fault the tinnitus entirely here. But during my 2nd interview with this company, I kept having to ask the interviewer to repeat the questions and fumbled my answers a bit because the environment around me was quite noisy (nearby construction noise) and distracting. At one point, I was more concerned about my ears than I was with the actual interview. No spikes from this event however, so that’ll give a bit more confidence if something like this were to happen again. I just hate how my ear condition is at the forefront of my mind for everything I do. I’m tired of having to constantly worry about tinnitus and ears each time I’m put into some new environment.

So here I am again, right at the beginning. I’m just depressed and burned out from applying all over again. When you get rejected, i.e., no return calls, no email response or interviews, there comes a point where you begin to feel as if something is wrong with you and you begin to doubt your abilities.

You feel guilty every time you start doing anything remotely fun, because you feel like you're wasting valuable time. It doesn’t help having to constantly worry about the safety of your ears throughout the job search process as well. That makes things a bit more harder too.

TL;DR: Applying for jobs is soul destroying and tiring. You feel impotent, useless and without purpose. And having tinnitus just adds another extra layer of difficulty to it. Tinnitus is at the forefront of your mind for everything you do when applying for jobs. I refuse to let this condition disable me, but still having trouble navigating life with this condition.

— Feel free to share your experiences (applying for jobs)
      — Tips + advice is greatly appreciated

• Hug Hug x 16
    2. MindOverMatter

MindOverMatter Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (possibly stress related, and later sound induced)
      Sorry to hear this @ZFire.

I understand you fully. It is hard indeed, and distractions like those you mentioned can really be hard to deal with in situations like this. Personally I've been lucky when it comes to work as I have not applied for a job in a very long time.

My current job is with my own consultant company, and the two positions before that I was sort of headhunted (through connections).

Anyhow, I think you have the stamina to make it in the end. It's just a matter of time. Don't let it get to you too much. Easier said than done when you apply job after job, but you know that you have a lot of quality. And possible employers do too, given that you go into interviews - which is half a victory.

Keep going, and refuse being disabled by this condition. Some days will be harder than others, but when the time is right, you'll find a position that can be a positive change for you.

• Like Like x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    3. Ngo13

Ngo13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Baby scream (acoustic trauma)
      I'm sorry you're having trouble with your job search, but your dedication to keep searching is admirable! I know it can be horrible, my husband was applying to jobs a few years ago for an entire year with only one phone screen before he got his current job.

I recently started a new job and interviewed when I was about 5 months into my tinnitus. It was hard! I was so worried about my ears the whole time, but made it through.

I highly recommend working with a headhunter if you can. They have connections and can get your resume into jobs that aren't even publicly posted. If you don't have a LinkedIn, definitely make one. I get contacted on there all the time from recruiters and HR reps for companies. Other than that, you might want to look into a professional that can take a look at your resume to see if it can be spruced up. Sometimes all it takes is swapping out particular words or re-formatting. A lot of the computer screening companies look for keywords.

Dealing with tinnitus on top of every other stress really sucks, but all we can do is keep pushing on one day at a time. Indeed you should filter for remote positions, if your job allows that, which might help with your tinnitus and the vaccine requirement.

Good luck on your search!

• Like Like x 4
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ZFire
      Pacman

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Appreciate the advice, @Ngo13. I do have LinkedIn, but rarely use it. I’ve been using ZipRecruiter and Indeed almost exclusively. I’ve been contacted by recruiters (mostly on Indeed), but many times when I want to follow up with them, I almost never get a reply back (they ghost me often), not to mention there are scammers too. I’ll switch it up with LinkedIn now, see what happens there. I try to find all the remote positions I can, but I just haven’t been lucky with that yet.

I like the idea of sprucing up my resume. Do you have any suggestions on where I could go for that? Like some online website?

And a big congrats on getting a new job btw. I remember reading your introduction thread, you’ve come a long way. Raising a child and working a job is courageous and commendable especially with tinnitus. It’s not easy, but it’s good to see you’re moving forward. Big-ups.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ZFire
      Pacman

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks. I have about 7 more months until my emergency funds dry up, so I’m definitely not quitting.

The pressure is mounting, but the burn out is real though. I’m going to take 1 week off from job searching to recharge myself.

• Like Like x 2
    6. Ava Lugo
      Irritated

Ava Lugo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus
      I am sorry. I was unemployed for 2 years before, back when my tinnitus was mild. It was hard and I got jealous and depressed because all my friends had jobs but not me so I felt left out since they could buy all this really cool stuff.

I have not tried applying for other jobs with severe tinnitus because I’m not sure how well I’d do in an interview with being distracted by my tinnitus.

I work in a grocery store and you can imagine it’s quite difficult when you have severe intrusive reactive tinnitus. I know I should end up quitting at some point. I have to pay my dad back for something though so I need the job for now and I manage to just power through it at work despite hearing the tinnitus constantly at work. Four hour shifts are definitely a little easier to handle than six hours but I got a new hearing aid recently and I’m going to tell my boss to cut my hours to only 4 hour shifts.

I’m going on social security disability too for my hearing loss but I am still going to have a part time job even if I have to quit this one. I managed to tough it out for about 2 years but I’m exhausted now so hopefully my boss is okay with giving me less hours.

I wish I had advice for you but I’m confident eventually you’ll get a job even with severe tinnitus.

• Hug Hug x 2
    7. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Wrfortiscue Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Good luck @ZFire, we are rooting for you buddy. Keep the mental health up, recharge and get back at it.

We aren’t like regular people, everything is so much harder for us so understand you are doing the best you can.

• Like Like x 3
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ZFire
      Pacman

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The frustrating thing is when they don't even get back to you at all. Yeah that position I applied for was a probably a longshot but I would really appreciate it if they could just reply to you with a simple "No, thank you." You barely get any sort of confirmation or feedback most of the time. What gives...

I don’t remember job searching being this draining at all after graduating from university 8 years ago. I remember landing an entry level job shortly after graduating, earned my certifications (FCP, CPP payroll designations) through the company, changed job roles, got a promotion, and stayed with them until COVID-19. The company downsized as a result of COVID-19 and I was forced to take a substantial salary reduction (also reduced benefits). I knew my time working there was coming to an end. Then I get tinnitus and hyperacusis and that prompted my decision to leave even more so. And the rest is history.

This whole job searching ordeal has been quite the new experience for me. I’ve never experienced something like this. Getting a job is a combination of timing, contacts, and good luck it seems.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. makeyourownluck
      Magical

makeyourownluck Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I feel you. This is what frustrates me the most. Just a bit of common courtesy would be nice. Sitting filling out an application for hours and then getting nothing back is beyond shit.
      I've never done the whole networking thing, but things might be different here in the UK. I've definitely never been contacted through Indeed or head hunted in anyway.
      Ok so I'll chuck in my 2 cent here. These jobs you are applying for, are you genuinely interested in them? I just had an interview recently and although it was clear I lacked some of the necessary experience, I think my genuine interest in the role came through. In the competency questions I spoke about certain scenarios, but also tried to relate everything back to my own experiences (outside of work and education). I wanted to come across as just another person, with the same interests, who was easy to chat with and knew their onions.

Aside from being distracted by the noise, did you feel confident when you were interviewing? Since you are getting to the interview stage, maybe the CV isn't the issue, and you should focus more on interview techniques and controlling nerves/anxiety. Obviously, I am just guessing here. It's only a suggestion.

And anyway, regardless of what you do, I think you'll be fine. You're 30, have a degree, 8 years experience in HR, and have been promoted in another work place based on your performance. Professionally speaking, you sound like a catch. Job searching is tough for everyone (tinnitus or no tinnitus), try not let it mess with your mental health.

• Helpful Helpful x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    10. Stuart-T
      Thinking

Stuart-T Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear wax or COVID-19 infection
      I'm afraid I don't have any advice beyond the obvious. I suspect you are qualified to work in a particular field and are selecting vacancies accordingly. And you are evidently in a very competitive market.

I am very fortunate - I have been self employed since 1984! I currently have an eBay business in a niche area from which I make sufficient money without doing too much work or feeling any pressure. I work from home.

Now last year - due to a boom year in 2020 - I had a mammoth tax bill to pay (like 3 years' tax in 1 year) and I divorced and had very high various ongoing costs. My business was barely enough and I was looking around nervously about how to bring in some extra money. Despite having degrees up to Master's level I realised I am not qualified for anything at all! However - I can drive. I was ready to get a job as a delivery driver for DHL or another courier and I think I would have been good at it. I am not suggesting you do the same - but when your money runs out - and if you have no job - what will you do? There is always work out there depending on what you are prepared to do.

Luckily for me I just managed to pay out my tax and I moved into cheaper accommodation - so am OK now.

Good luck anyway with your applications.

• Like Like x 2
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ZFire
      Pacman

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I would say more than half the jobs I’ve applied to were of genuine interest. I pretty much look at what the responsibilities and duties are for each application and if I believe it’s right up my alley, I go for it. I contacted a former co-worker today, they told me something very similar to what you’re saying, that you don't have to satisfy every requirement or meet every qualification listed. Sometimes they’re looking for a person who aligns very well with the company’s mission statement. I need to start thinking in this way too.

Still though, the worst feeling is when you know you're qualified, or slightly over-qualified, and you still hear nothing. Then you start to doubt yourself.
      Ok, this is a good question. I was not as confident as I would’ve liked to be. After reflecting a bit more, I’m quite inconsistent in interviews. Tinnitus has definitely shaken up my confidence a bit, but a lot of the success so far depends on how well I prepare beforehand and where my anxiety levels are minutes before the interview. The company that offered me the job 3 months ago, I researched everything about them (growth rate, social media presence, etc) and so I was less anxious. Their office environment where the interview was held was pretty chill and it’s little things like that which help reduce my anxiety levels.

When I’m nervous, I end up talking fast and usually end up going on a tangent that has nothing to do with what’s being asked. I felt like that was happening to some extent in my most recent interview.
      You’ve been giving me a lot of helpful advice lately, I’m really grateful for that. I’ve been depressed and laying in bed a lot the last few days with little drive, but I’m starting to feel good again. I’m going to try to get in contact with former co-workers and see if I can network through them as well. Thanks again.

Btw, have you heard back from employers yet after submitting that pre employment health questionnaire?

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ZFire
      Pacman

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I’ll likely move back to my parents. I could tap into my retirement accounts as most of my money is held there, but that would seriously CRIPPLE my lifetime goal of FIRE (Financial Independence Retire Early), especially with the way the markets are right now. So I really don’t want to touch it under no circumstance, but if there’s no other choice, then so be it.

I hope to have a job in the next 7 months though.

13. Stuart-T
      Thinking

Stuart-T Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear wax or COVID-19 infection
      OK I see. That is a good goal.

This will sound like a ludicrous question - but if you could trade your retirement fund for being free from tinnitus and any other ailment you currently have, for life - would you do that?

14. Ngo13

Ngo13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Baby scream (acoustic trauma)
      Thank you for the kind words @ZFire, it truly means a lot. I've been trying the fake it until I make it approach lately and it's been really hard but I'm trying my best. With my family, I just don't have the option to stop trying. Trying to find joy in all the little positives around me and trying to judge my days as good or bad without taking my tinnitus into account. So far, I've had a pretty decent stretch of good days even though my tinnitus has been all over the place. I hope I can keep the momentum going.

If you search "free resume review" you should get some options. A lot of them will run your resume through the computer screening software and give tips on keywords you may be missing. There are options you can pay for as well. If your local college has any career workshops, you might be able to get someone there to review it. Even just a fresh set of eyes like a friend would help.

I know it's very frustrating but keep at it. Make sure you apply for "reach" jobs as well even if you don't think you're qualified. You never know! My current new job was a "reach" job for me.

I'm sure you'll get something soon. I truly believe that us tinnitus sufferers are some of the most resilient people out there.

• Like Like x 2
    15. Jsm_Joestar
      Woot

Jsm_Joestar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection followed by fireworks a year later
      You could try coding. It's something you do from home. I am currently learning it so i can start doing that.

• Like Like x 1
    16. makeyourownluck
      Magical

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Shouldn't doubt yourself, it happens to everyone. Maybe the person's family member or friend got the job, maybe someone who was known to the company applied, maybe they have to achieve a certain diversity ratio, the list goes on. So many options to choose from that have absolutely nothing to do with your ability to do the job. Obviously it's not good to be cocky, but you also have to know that you're an asset to these companies, and have a history that proves it.
      It sounds like preparation is key for you. I'm the same and was always jealous of people who can just wing these things. I go off in tangents, talk way too fast (already an issue for us Scots!), basically a mild version of that trainspotting clip I uploaded not long ago (minus the swearing and drugs of course). Preparation is key.
      IMO if the office is loud and aggravating a health condition that has severely limited your life for over a year, then the job is unsuitable. It's very similar to the vaccine mandate, why risk it? Your health is more important. I think you dodged a bullet.
      No worries @ZFire, I like you. You come across very well, a cut above the drama (including my own), and it's very admirable.
      Glad to hear it. Having tinnitus is bad enough, don't give yourself an even harder time.
      Yes, I had a formal interview today with occupational health nurse, they write a report and then I hear back from the employer to see if they can make reasonable adjustments. I've just been honest and told them what I need to feel comfortable at the office (earplugs, preference for talking on speaker phone, volume control on the ringer, comfy chair, etc, etc). It's mostly remote, so I don't think it should be a huge issue, but we shall see.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ZFire
      Pacman

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It’s a interesting question. I suppose if I was completely debilitated by one of these ailments, to the point where I was unable to function at all, then yeah I would trade my retirement funds to be free from that.

But if I can still function relatively well despite the ailments, then no. Financial independence has been one of my lifelong goals for a while now and I hope to achieve it.

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ZFire
      Pacman

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Looks promising. (y)

Feel free to update your employment status in this thread if you want to. This thread can act as a help thread for others as well who are also seeking employment.

• Like Like x 2
    19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ZFire
      Pacman

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Okay, so after taking a minor break, I’m feeling recharged and ready to go at it again. I’ve drafted a few cover letter ideas, tweaked the resume a bit to make it look more aesthetically pleasing, and updated my LinkedIn profile, so hopefully I’ll start to see recruiters contacting me on that platform too. Thanks for the advice and encouragement everyone. I took it to heart.

• Like Like x 9
    20. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      Are you willing to move? Got Canadian citizenship?

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ZFire
      Pacman

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The thought of moving to Canada has always interested me, but I don’t have Canadian citizenship though. Is the process of getting a permanent resident status over there difficult? I feel like it would be harder for American migrants. I’ve visited Toronto once, nice place.

• Like Like x 1
    22. makeyourownluck
      Magical

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Still not heard anything back. I was getting very nervous until I sent the HR person an email and got an automated response saying they were on leave till next Tuesday. Will update when I know something new.

• Like Like x 1
    23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ZFire
      Pacman

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah, HR will do that sometimes.

A7358085-AEAF-4184-A0A1-3A809F64D002.gif

I’ve found a few jobs that I’m really interested in. Did the best I could with my cover letters.
      I also found my beloved coffee mug after all these years! I think I’m going to pull all nighter one of these days just to celebrate(while applying for jobs of course).

BB65-E70-A-954-B-411-B-9-CA2-F1-C4-B01-AD32-B.jpg

Honey oatmilk latte incoming.

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    24. makeyourownluck
      Magical

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Suppose you are in HR, so is it a good or a bad sign to hear nothing? Or is the person just genuinely on holiday lol. They must respond to me at some point, right?

Good that you keep finding jobs that you’re interested in. Jobs like that are thin on the ground for me.

Also, nice coffee cup you got there! I’ve not done an all-nighter in years, coffee doesn’t really do anything for me but I love the taste. You and your brothers? I think as an adult you will look kinda how I imagined which is weird. Normally I’m way off with things like that.

• Like Like x 1
    25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ZFire
      Pacman

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I’ve never actually worked in the recruitment/hiring branch of HR. I was in the employee compensation and benefits enrollment branch of HR (worked with employees and new hires only), so I’m not sure how HR recruiters operate with job candidates. But the automated response they gave you sounds like a fairly standard ‘out of office’ email reply. They gave you a specific date for when they’ll be back. It seems genuine. I used to give these out too when I was away for vacation. I also provided another contact (my supervisor) in case the inquiry was urgent. I would respond to most if not all my emails once I got back.

I would definitely follow up with them once they’re back though. I’m assuming the person you’ve been in contact with handles all recruiting matters. If you’re not sure, you can try calling them and ask for a back-up person and inquire about your status. But you should definitely expect a response from that person who’s away. You’re already far into the process. I think I remember you saying the end of September is the starting date. You still have time. Hopefully, they’re getting your hiring papers in order. :)
      The person on the left is my brother. The one in the middle is a first cousin.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    26. Uklawyer

Uklawyer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication - antidepressants
      Basically, recruiters are c*nts - they even as good as admitted it to me when I was interviewing for recruitment roles. I am not a c*nt.

I spoke to one today. She was talking to me, whilst, at the same time, all but telling me that she did not give a shit about me and just wanted her commission. I think that she is so stupid or cares so little that she does not even realise that she has already contacted me on LinkedIn twice: first time I wrestled with her about providing details of the role BEFORE calling me up for no reason; the second time I think I ignored her.

It is hard to have to rely on idiots that cause you to feel like a dispensable commodity when you have been out of work because of this condition. Be strong, be resilient; know that it is not your fault and that you are worthy; and take unsympathetic or soulless people for who they are - it is no reflection of you.

Best wishes.

• Like Like x 2
    27. Bambam0
      Cool

Bambam0 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Rock 'n Roll
      This may be a good resource for some folks here. Flexible jobs for those w/ chronic conditions.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    28. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ZFire
      Pacman

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hey luck, I was speaking with a former co-worker of mine yesterday and they told me an interesting tactic you could use to get employers to respond quickly to you if you’re still waiting for an offer. Tell the company that you got an offer from another competitor and you need to respond ASAP. They shouldn’t wait too much if they want to make you an offer then.

It's not impolite, you’re being upfront and having an offer at an other company will make you look like an attractive candidate. It’s not to say you’re not of course, we already know you’re an attractive candidate regardless if you decide to use this strategy. See it as a added bonus effect.

Just putting that out there, it might be useful for someone else here too. :)

• Like Like x 2
    29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ZFire
      Pacman

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you for this.

30. makeyourownluck
      Magical

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @ZFire, thank you for your reply. It was very helpful, I was getting really nervous but the lady replied to me her first day back and I got the job - start a week on Monday. I’m really happy because I don’t have to keep up the pretence of normalcy. I have my fingers crossed for you man.

BTW, my employer is part of a disability confident scheme, maybe there is a similar initiative in the US? Worth looking into.

• Winner Winner x 3
      • Like Like x 1