Elon Musk’s Neuralink Looking to Treat Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Jack Straw, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Mnq16
      Surrender

Mnq16 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown- Visual Snow related
      My mistake. I misread the source.

Correction: Synchron have been given FDA approval for their neuroprosthesis device, not their neuromodulation device (which is still in development). Regardless, the fact BCIs are being allowed to be implanted into humans is a step in the right direction and it can be assumed their other device would also be approved providing there are no pitfalls with the neuroprosthesis. It seems like this particular device is implanted in blood vessels rather than the brain itself so it seems a hell of a lot less invasive than Musk's Neuralink.

• Like Like x 1
    2. hopes

hopes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Maybe Neuralink will be useful in the future for tinnitus. But after watching some conferences and talks where Elon Musk has debated, the timeframes he has given are absolutely not realistic.

3. AfroSnowman
      Balanced

AfroSnowman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nonnatural energy source
      That is part of his charm, right?

What kind of timeframe does he claim?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    4. danielthor

danielthor Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Elon is not, but the company that he has started, the scientists that he has hired to complete this mission, might. Elon doesn’t really do much but start stuff.

Let’s hope the regenerative stuff comes first though, so that we don’t have to resort to literally getting our brains chipped.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    5. PortugalTheMan
      Shocked

PortugalTheMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety / Maybe years listening to music on headphones
      For developers :p

1&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=SJADxP-UiRoAX9TAB3u&tn=f41wpf8gVCNYG4BE&_nc_ht=scontent.flis6-1.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    6. Artem
      Frustrated

Artem Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      vaccine + acoustic trauma
      It seems that there is no work in the direction of neural interfaces. All this is marketing and PR. I saw no evidence of the chip in a pig walking on a treadmill. Where is the x-ray, scar or something else ..? The diagrams presented are not a confirmation of the successful implementation of the device.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. DimLeb

DimLeb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic Cochleopathy or Maybe Loud Music
      • Like Like x 7
    8. Artem
      Frustrated

Artem Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      vaccine + acoustic trauma
      Is the level of abstract thinking the primate has enough to play Tetris?

9. Paul1980

Paul1980 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music, prescription drugs
      "Musk has a history of overpromising and under-delivering on project timelines.

In April, Neuralink released a video of a monkey playing a video game using a Neuralink device."

I am happy for those who have faith in this device and this person. I see no evidence that it is being considered a solution other than they just threw it in there because maybe they found it on the internet as a brain condition, or his wife has the condition. There must be 6 different threads about him on Tinnitus Talk.

I think the chances of anyone getting to drill a hole in our heads to fix this is infinitely less likely then him drilling a hole in Fort Lauderdale. If it does become available, and lets say the optimistic time frame is 5 years, I doubt insurance will cover what must be a very expensive operation.

I wish I shared the faith, and part of it is down to his Boring personality, but I do not.

10. Padraigh Griffin

Padraigh Griffin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Stress
      All the tech legends are predicting huge things for Brain Interface Technology. It will happen sooner than you think and yes it will cure tinnitus. I am sure of this.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 6
      • Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    11. 2noist

2noist Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      I'd love this to be the case. I hope you're right.

• Agree Agree x 3
    12. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      How do you know it won't just be like the sounds from the neural link alongside your tinnitus. You literally have no idea...

13. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Wrfortiscue Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      No he doesn’t but it’s a nice change of pace not to poop on every damn thing here lol.

• Like Like x 7
      • Agree Agree x 1
    14. Padraigh Griffin

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Stress
      The answer is that I don't know, but I am truly confident Brain Interface technology will cure a plethora of conditions, Tinnitus included.

Get ready for a 'revolution' in healthcare. AI, Brain Interfaces, Quantum Computing, etc all being the foundation.

Developments are occuring daily and progress will be a 'before we know it, it has happened' situation.

The next 5-20 years will be the industrial revolution multiplied by 100,000 times over. An 'inflection point' in technology is already underway.

All in my opinion of course.

• Like Like x 8
      • Agree Agree x 3
    15. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, loud rock concert
      Below is a link to a Polish scientist, with a few years experience at Mayo Clinic, talking about brain-machine interface he’s working on with his peers. He has not investigated tinnitus so far, but I’m mailing with him trying to make him interested in this field:

https://eti.pg.edu.pl/en/bmel/resources

• Like Like x 7
    16. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Do we really want to be part machine? I suppose we are already with most of us hooked up to our phones half the day.

I would prefer time travelling back 100000 years to hunter gatherer times. Those people probably had thousands of cures that have been lost over time.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    17. Padraigh Griffin

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Stress
      • Like Like x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    18. DimLeb

DimLeb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic Cochleopathy or Maybe Loud Music
      @Padraigh Griffin, maybe this technology has the solution for hearing loss too. It could transmit sound in information to be "heard" directly by the brain. Just like how some people have tinnitus that is higher frequency than they can hear, that means that the brain still has the ability to perceive lost frequencies.

I hope all these come true, but maybe we're too optimistic yet...

• Like Like x 1
    19. Gb3

Gb3 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      Oh yeahhh with their life expectancy of 20 years they definitely had all the cures.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Funny Funny x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    20. Padraigh Griffin

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Stress
      Totally. Could bypass ears altogether. Who knows? Literally on the cusp of a tech revolution. People will be amazed what the next 10 years will bring.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    21. AfroSnowman
      Balanced

AfroSnowman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nonnatural energy source
      Whatever ends the endless noise and gives me my life back is a winner in my book.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    22. Ear Drummer
      Heartbroken

Ear Drummer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2003
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drummer/Lack of REM sleep/Bruxism|TMJ(?)
      Which is all the decent time we have left before climate change changes most of our lives and so much is on fire... suppose it's best to have a crazy cyborg cure before everything turns to sh*t and have good hearing for survival though... it's definitely fascinating and will most likely cure many health issues so I try to remain open to med-tech cures but I would prefer to find something a little more natural but it is proving elusive... who knows, perhaps we are supposed to become machines and everything is a simulation ah ha... :/

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    23. Brian Newman

Brian Newman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting/loud noise
      Oh yeah, I’ll take being 95 percent machine over my ear shit lol. I have it really bad. If it was moderate I would not.

• Agree Agree x 6
      • Like Like x 1
    24. Brian Newman

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting/loud noise
      I like your mindset man. I feel the same way tbh, if regenerative medicine fails, technology can still help. On my down days I feel hopeless, thinking I’ll be stuck in my house with severe hyperacusis forever, but I think this brain shit could help a lot of people. If it was 2006 ok, but we are quite a bit along in the future.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Useful Useful x 1
    25. GlennS

GlennS Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I don't think it's reasonable to cite some interesting developments and then leap into such an extreme prediction.

26. Padraigh Griffin

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Stress
      We are all entitled to make predictions and that is all they are. I am an avid futurism follower and genuinely think if Synchron can get a paralysed man to tweet using thought alone in late 2021, then a company such as Neuralink with practically unlimited capital will make huge strides in brain interfaces tech. Daily strides in technology are occurring in many areas. Take this one for depression for example:

Stanford study finds possible cure for severe depression with 80% effectiveness

Remarkable results.

One day very soon it will be a tinnitus headline.

Maybe a similar tech to Stanford will happen before Brain Interfaces, brain tech will become mainstream. You got to remember people thought Steve Jobs was crazy releasing a phone pre-2007.

• Agree Agree x 7
      • Like Like x 3
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    27. Brian Newman

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting/loud noise
      I found on Synchron’s website hearing loss is on their list of disease to treat. Even more hope for us. If regenerative medicine completely fails, which I think is unlikely, these brain chips will definitely help. I keep repeating myself but here’s the link:

https://synchron.com/medicine

If they can help people with paralysis in the future no way it can’t turn a noise off or mute pain.

• Like Like x 8
    28. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, loud rock concert
      I’m far from neglecting epilepsy (prevalence 1.2% of general population) and depression (5%) but why the heck they both deserve headlines, public attention and funding, while tinnitus (10%+) is hardly ever heard of in media or public discussion?

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    29. Mathew Gould

Mathew Gould Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      So 2-5 years means 8-10... Still optimistic!

30. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      I remember in the 80s folks saying a cure for baldness was 5-10 years away.

In the 90s cures were 10 years away for MS, Parkinson’s etc.

These days they’re saying a cure for Alzheimer's might be 10 years away.

I’m very cynical now about any prediction made by pharma or tech people.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Useful Useful x 1