I Hate TRT (Tinnitus Retraining Therapy)

Discussion in 'Support' started by threefirefour, Aug 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      That's not true at all. There's treatments that could help the most ardent of pessimists out there. If a treatment actually fixed tinnitus then we would be happy. In your own comment you conceded that it takes up to two years in some cases (the amount of time getting used to it could take up to, surely not a coincidence), and someone with a negative mindset wouldn't gain anything from it, meaning they would have to go with it, like getting used to it naturally. Sounds like TRT doesn't have anything new to bring to the table that time doesn't.

I'm just saying TRT is on its way out. Thank goodness. As an American I want a socialized healthcare system too but I don't want my tax dollars going to anything useless. That's why the fat needs to go.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I will not be corresponding with you further on this as there's no point. Your statement: "treatment to actually fix tinnitus" . I believe you mean to be cured. I read a newspaper article many years ago when I first got tinnitus and was having a lot if difficulty coping with it. The article mentioned: 19 of 20 medical conditions cannot be cured. At this moment tinnitus is still one of them but often it can be treated and many people are able to go on and lead a fulfilling life.

All the best
      Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      No treatment as in treat tinnitus. Like allergies there's medicine that will perfectly mask it for the good majority of people with allergies. As it stands tinnitus cannot be treated. I agree with you on one thing; there is no point. That's why I first replied to you, telling you that defending TRT isn't going to make it die any slower. TRT slowly getting phased out is a very important step for tinnitus. Finally there's a shift in the medical and tinnitus communities to begin treating tinnitus and not just trying to tell people to live with it. That's a great thing. That and I don't wanna pay for useless programs I'm not gonna use ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    4. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      He has a point Michael...

In 2017 people don't want to have to learn to live with it..

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Everyone can have a point Paul and entitled to it. What people want and what is achievable are two different things. Tinnitus can be a very debilitating condition and I know this fully well being medically retired from my job because of it. There is no cure at present for this condition but I refuse to sit and moan and groan and complain why hasn't a cure been found. I try and get the best help possible and accentuate the positive things in my life and focus of them. I am thankful that I'm not blind or in a wheelchair or have a debilitating illness that has left be immobilised or bedbound.

I am not saying the above illnesses are more serious than tinnitus. When this condition is severe and intrusive it can force a person to do something that they wouldn't ordinarily do if they weren't in such a distressed state. Tinnitus treatment has come a long way. However, people never satisfy or even want to get up of their backside and try for themselves. They have no backbone or will power. They want everything done for them and don't want to put in a little effort. Lazy and often bone idle that is the big problem in todays society. Please read the post below to see how far tinnitus treatment has come.

Michael

Tinnitus.

Tinnitus is condition that comes in many different forms and intensities. Most people habituate and are able to carry on with their life doing everything that they want to without too much difficulty. It usually becomes a problem when it is loud and intrusive and begins to interfere with a person’s quality of life and their mental well-being.

Since exposure to loud noise is the most common cause of tinnitus, it has been suggested to me on more than one occasion, it is a modern day condition that has come about by the increasingly noisy world in which we live, or to be more precise, the high sound levels that some people expose themselves to while blissfully unaware of the potential risks that are involved. There maybe some truth in this, when one considers the amount of people that go about wearing ear buds, that are attached to their mobile phone or an mp3 player and listen to music that is often at high volume levels and do this for long durations.

I feel these devices have contributed to it becoming more prevalent in today’s society especially amongst the young. In addition to this, those that regularly attend nightclubs, concerts and multiplex cinemas could also be at risk. There are those that believe the louder the sound at these venues the better the audio experience and will scoff at the mere mention of using noise-reducing earplugs. One should be able to go out and have a good time if they want to, but also be aware of high sound levels their auditory system might be subjected to at these places of entertainment. Therefore, it would be prudent to carry adequate hearing protection should the need arise to use them.

Someone once told me when their ears are ringing after leaving a club it’s a sign that they’ve had a good night. That’s fine I said until the day the ringing doesn’t stop. This can happen when the ears are repeatedly exposed to high sound levels. What might start out as a pleasant experience can quickly change into something quite distressing if tinnitus becomes loud and permanent. Many other things including an underlying medical condition, not necessarily associated with the ear, can be responsible for it too.

In fact tinnitus isn’t a modern day condition at all and has been around for many centuries and goes way back to the Egyptians, when the first written account and medical treatment for it was recorded. There weren’t any treatments like the ones in use today. How did people cope and what form of treatment was available then, and right up until now? The Egyptians used a concoction of remedies to treat the “bewitched ear or “the humming ear” as it was called. Infused oil, frankincense, tree sap, herbs and even soil would be administered into the external part of the affected ear using a reed stalk. By today’s standards such treatments might seem bizarre. Nevertheless, it’s what the doctors at that time believed in and therefore, who are we to say such methods didn’t bring some relief to the affected person?

The Mesopotamians, a collection of cultures and considered to be the cradle of civilization, used to chant to get rid of the whispering or singing in their ears. “Whoever thou may be, may Enki restrain me.” This was just one in a list of mantras used, to perhaps condition the mind and probably helped to push the noise further into the background making it less noticeable. An early form of sound enrichment?

I believe a real breakthrough in coping with tinnitus came with the use of sound as a form of masking. Two famous Greeks first introduced it: Aristotle and Hippocrates. One a philosopher and scientist the other a distinguished physician, who is often referred to as the “Father of modern medicine. Perhaps this is the reason all newly qualified physicians take the Hippocratic Oath. Both were fond of saying: “Why is that buzzing in the ear ceases if one makes a sound. Is it because a greater sound drives out the less?”

A very helpful device that has brought relief to many people with tinnitus is the wearable white noise generator, formally known as a masker. I like to think fate had a part to play in the inception of this little miracle and it didn’t happen just by chance. Although at first glance this does seem to be the case.

In 1973, Jack Vernon PhD led a research group in the studying of tinnitus. He was traveling with a friend Dr. Charles Unice who had severe tinnitus. As they were walking passed an outdoor fountain, Dr Unice stopped abruptly and was reluctant to continue. Listening to the soothing sounds of the fountain, he told Dr. Vernon. “Standing right here I cannot hear my tinnitus. It’s the first time I’ve been unable to hear that unconscionably wretched sound since it began over two years ago. This is wonderful!” This intrigued Dr. Vernon and led him to research the matter further, until coming up with the idea of a wearable masking device, as a way of providing relief for tinnitus.

The word masking is not commonly used today in books when describing sound therapy although it is still used a lot in tinnitus forums. I think its use is outdated and for some time has been replaced with the term “sound enrichment” by health professionals. Hearing Therapists and Audiologists now advise patients, the preferred method is to set the volume level of the sound of choice, slightly below the tinnitus. By doing this, the brain is able to hear it and thus making the habituation process easier. Unless the brain can hear the tinnitus slightly above the sound enrichment the habituation process is usually more difficult. If one completely masks, as soon as the sound is stopped or temporarily removed, the brain will immediately focus back on the tinnitus and often, it will appear to be louder and more intrusive.

The wearable white noise generator has advanced considerably and is now available in various forms. The digital types require setting up on computer by an Audiologist and can be tailored to a patient’s specific needs. For example the user can select different sounds when required. Some are blue toothed enabling the streaming of audio. Hearing loss often accompanies tinnitus and therefore, dual-purpose devices are available that come fitted with a hearing aid.

Sound therapy using white noise generators, tabletop sound machine etc. Counseling and prescription drugs are available today and are able to play a significant role in helping to relieve not only the sound of the tinnitus but the stress and anxiety that often accompanies it. This has to be a good thing, despite some of the concerns some medications attract because they might exacerbate the condition or cause dependency. Not everyone is the same. What might affect one person might not in another. I believe, once a person is properly managed by their doctor, any problems that might arise due to medication, can quickly be resolved and a change of prescription is likely bring the desired affect.

Although there is no cure for tinnitus at present. With the help of modern medicine, treatment therapies and having a positive attitude, people are often able to have a good quality of life. Depending on how intrusive the condition is, this might take a little longer for some but don't let that stop you believing.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    6. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      One thing I would like to pick up about is that TRT is one of the supportive tinnitus treatments in the UK.
      However as TT is world wide it's different health systems and costs and medications available in each country that come into it too !

A healthy talk about what support is available is great but unless we have tried any of them ourselves it's hard to comment.
      That's not just about TRT but what else is available.
      I know Benzo' s help some people and AD meds and meditation etc but I dont think we will ever get a one treatment that fits all.
      Back to TRT,If it can help some people then at least that's one positive option.
      Love glynis x

• Like Like x 4
    7. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Well said @glynis as always. Whilst there are a variety of tinnitus treatments available they will be of no help to anyone if they are seeking to be completely cured or have a Negative Mindset. Unfortunately this is often the crux of the matter.

Michael

• Like Like x 2
    8. vermillion
      Whistles

vermillion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      ?

9. vermillion
      Whistles

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      ??

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      @vermillion the Netherlands is funding tinnitus research. And finding medicine that actually reduces tinnitus would make us happy.

• Like Like x 1
    11. vermillion
      Whistles

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      Nevertheless, I would be happy to see each one of us donating on tinnitus organisations out there. That would be much fruitful instead of being consumed on conspiracy theories etc. But the human race was always like this. Too much talking and little doing.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      That's true of any year actually. In 1997 they didn't want to have to learn to live with it either. Pick your year: nobody ever wants to have to deal with such a condition.
      We're being told to live with it because there is no solution, and I expect that to be the norm until we find solutions.

• Agree Agree x 5
    13. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      I've had high expectations of the future for years now.

• Agree Agree x 4
    14. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Micheal, why always the classless insults? And why always so defensive when it comes to TRT? It's just someone's opinion, relax. You always seem to fly off the handle and start throwing out jabs as soon as someone has s different opinion than you. No reason to start telling people they have no backbone or that they are lazy, seriously, this is a support forum, what is wrong with you????

• Agree Agree x 3
    15. IAmCalifornia
      Wishful

IAmCalifornia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      this year
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      i wish i knew
      One day. They will figure it out one day. I hope that day is sooner. rather than later.

f*** tinnitus

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I have been visiting tinnitus forums for a long time Telis and corresponded with people on the telephone and by email. I get to know the ones that are prepared to try and help themselves and the ones that don't even want to put in a little effect, in other words "time wasters". Whilst these people are entitled to their opinion and Negative Mindset, at the same time they have nothing constructive to bring to the table and help anyone. Their only purpose is to denounce and criticize recognised treatments that are used in the medical field to treat tinnitus. And what is worse many of these people have never tried these treatments yet have already closed their mind to them being affective, because they are looking for complete cures from the condition and anything less is useless.

This kind of negative thinking is harmful both to their own progress and to people on the forum that read their posts and come here for help and support. Tinnitus is difficult enough to cope with when it's severe without adding to it with unhelpful comments. I stand by what I have said and thought about what I wrote before putting my fingers to keyboard. I was careful not to address anyone one in person or call any names. Please read the post below to see what I and other people think on this topic and the harm it can do.

The truth can cause an offence but it is not a sin.

I would rather be happy than right.

Many years ago when I first got tinnitus, I was going through a difficult time like many newbies do. I read a newspaper article that helped to change my thinking and put me on the road to habituation. It mentioned 19 out of 20 medical conditions couldn’t be cured. At this moment, tinnitus is one of them.

Many people with intrusive tinnitus experience anxiety, depression and low moods. With time they often improve and some with the help of medications eventually habituate and can be weened off meds. Others may experience spikes in their tinnitus, which can make them prone to mood swings. These people still manage to find a way through it with determination, character and inner strength.

There are others that will accept nothing less than a complete cure and therefore, never be able to habituate to tinnitus even if they had the best treatment in the world. This is mentioned in the TRT (tinnitus retraining therapy) book, written by Professor Pawel Jastreboff and Jonathan Hazell, and I agree with them. My experience as a Tinnitus support contact, has involved corresponding with people on the telephone, email and at tinnitus forums. Unfortunately, some people want to drag everyone else down with their pessimism.

Just as there are positive thinking people that are prepared to try and make a life with tinnitus, negative ones prefer to sit and do nothing. Moaning and groaning and feeling sorry for themselves because of their own weakness. Some blame the world and every health professional and medical organisation for their misfortune in life and that is the sobering truth, and it can be difficult for them to change.

There are those reading this post that won’t like my comments and can't wait to jump on the keyboard to unleash their fury. Just before you do take time out and think. Ask yourself and be honest. What have you achieved with all your negative thinking? Absolutely nothing. Even if you are right it doesn’t make for a fulfilling life and it is possible with tinnitus. Perhaps it’s time to change your strategy to one of positivity.

Michael

PS: There is nothing wrong with being occasionally negative especially with a condition such as tinnitus. However, everything must be kept in balance, and therefore one must try not to let negativity become all-consuming.

• Like Like x 1
    17. Screamin Ears
      Crappy

Screamin Ears Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Is shaming people into saying their tinnitus no longer bothers them part of TRT protocol?
      Whenever people say that TRT didn't work for them it's always seems to be because "You're too negative" or "too lazy" or "didn't comit".

• Agree Agree x 3
    18. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Indeed that's one of the biggest red flags for me. I also suspect it biases the success statistics somewhat, as patients don't want to be chided for not being "positive enough" to make the therapy successful on them.

• Agree Agree x 3
    19. Paulmanlike

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I believe TRT takes much work from the patient so I understand what Michael is saying.

As from somebody who has underwent CBT therapy in the past, I know that it doesn't matter how many letters a practitioner has after their name, the success from it has to come from within you. You have to want to do it to be able to achieve it and I believe this is the same for trt.

20. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      TRT is a two part treatment
      1- provided with White noise Generators
      2- Helping your mind and emotions come to terms with your tinnitus invasion.
      Love glynis x

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Well said @glynis

I just want to add the following:

It is also important for the patient to use a sound machine at night by the bedside until morning. It is not advisable to use WNG while asleep. Another thing mentioned in the TRT book written by Professor Pawel Jastrefboff and Johnathon Hazell: Is for the patient to do homework. It is something I've been telling people to do for some time. This is is reinforcing postive thinking. Reading success stories from people that have habituated as this helps to keep negativity at bay. Habituation is something that has to be worked at slowly and methodically.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
    22. Bobbie7
      Wishful

Bobbie7 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Extreme stress, sinus infection
      I agree !

23. Bobbie7
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Tamalak -

It would add validity to your comments (maybe?) if you would present yourself in a more dignified manner. Your use of indelicate expressions shows you in a very undesirable light and I very much doubt if they are appreciated by anyone in this forum.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    24. Bobbie7
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have come to the opinion (after being a member of this forum for quite a while) that there are some malcontents who will NEVER be satisfied/happy ... no matter what happens!

25. david c

david c Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      TRT is definitely on its way out as a therapy. The evidence base for it was always extremely limited - with few research studies other than small-scale ones conducted by its proponents showing much clinical benefit. It was always over-hyped. Hopefully more effective therapies for tinnitus will be on their way through. Medication is always going to be the main route.

• Agree Agree x 4
    26. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      That is just the thing "HOPE" counselling and sound therapy are currently the best treatments for tinnitus and hyperacusis. There is no getting away from it. Tinnitus affects everyone mentally and I believe the only way to treat this condtion is using counselling and sound therapy. Unfortuately there isn't an easy way to treat this condion as it takes time. I don't think there will be an alternative method to treat it long term unless someone develops a pill to supress the noise without having any long term side effects. I think this is very unlikely. If TRT is on the way out what is it going to be replaced with? I can also be sure that when it is replaced (if ever) the cost will be just as expensive or more and people will be told success rates will be different between people.

Michael

27. Paulmanlike

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Tinnitus sufferers deserve a new route for therapy. It's a high unmet need and like the above poster David says, the evidence base is extremely limited. The demand for it is out there, hopefully a real, effective treatment will come in the next few years.

• Agree Agree x 2
    28. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      The pill is actually the most realistic thing. It will almost certainly come out in 10 years.

• Like Like x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    29. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Don't hold your breath. Tinnitus has been around for centuries. I have had tinnitus for 20 years and people were saying the same thing 20 years ago when I first got it. In 10 years a pill will be developed to cure tinnitus or supress it's syptoms. I whish such a thing comes out but as I've said: 19 out of 20 medical condtions cannot be cured.
      In the mean time all those with a negative attituted to life and their tinnitus and don't have the will power, determination to fight hang on for the silver bullet to cure this condition. Please keep in your mind 10. 20 30 years from now things might still remain the same.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    30. Paulmanlike

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      A pill has already came out that can had shown to reduce it but with terrible side effects - Trobalt.

I'm hopeful for an effective treatment because with hope, there is always light at the end of the tunnel.

• Like Like x 1