I Invented a Sound That Knocked Out My Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by R. David Case, Dec 27, 2018.

1. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Must say, this makes no sense to me. Why would a random collage of frequencies from a couple of 555 timers cure tinnitus?
      Coincidence?

Also @R. David Case , why do you keep using it if it worked?

2. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Ah a fellow electronics fellow. He also claims the coils from the headphones produce some sort of helpful EMF. I have no idea.

3. RaZaH
      Cheeky

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Yeah, not sure about that, headphones would cause a tiny EM pulse, but the coils are tiny, not sure if that does anything.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      It may be following similar principles to the TiEx device showing here http://www.tinnitus.cc/en/therapy-device/how-it-works/index.php

The OP is adamant that it is important to pick "the right headphones". He explains that it's to have the best hi-frequency response, but perhaps it's correlated with the type of coils in the drivers & the EMF produced by them.

It's certainly intriguing, but the link above starts its prose with "In order to understand how ti-ex works, it is important to realize that the hair cells in the inner ear can regenerate." which doesn't set the stage very well as an introductory statement, from a scientific standpoint. Also, if specific EMF can regenerate hair cells, it should be fairly easy to test, especially now that we have access to an "ear in a dish".

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      Trying to scam tinnitus sufferers should have some sort of legal repercussions seeing that there is no cure or treatment, which makes us more desperate than most other medical issues.

6. RaZaH
      Cheeky

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      It just sounds like two 555 timers were made to play random frequencies and the rest of the explanations are afterthoughts. I must also admit that testimonials from people that think they are victims of government mind control do not inspire confidence. Also, if I had a penny for every time I have heard that a tinnitus treatment is working because it's getting worse....

Having said that.

I do not specifically doubt David's intentions, but there has been no real testing, so there is no way to know if headphones matter, if EMP is involved, if frequency response matters or in fact if listening to these modem noises does anything or in fact if it might make it worse.

What are these "7 areas of interruption" for example?

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. hopedeferred

hopedeferred Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      AAT
      gorzakus,

Thank you so much for the note. I'm hoping you are correct!!

HD

8. MidnightOilAudio
      Ape-like

MidnightOilAudio Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      SoundCloud compresses streaming audio to 128kbps mp3 format. I can pick that out from an uncompressed 44.1/16-bit WAV 10 out of 10 times, good thing people aren't trying to listen on there.

One nit-picky point, you aren't really getting any ultrasonic frequencies in your WAV files. CD format is 44.1 kHz, but because of the Nyquist filter, you're only getting up to 22.05kHz. Technically yes, anything above 20 kHz is considered ultrasonic, but they clearly don't make up a large portion of the sound.

9. Hariz Nonis
      Loved

Hariz Nonis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      What does this mean for our hearing when we wear headphones?

10. Hariz Nonis
      Loved

Hariz Nonis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Does that link mean that there is already a research going on which, hopefully, can regenerate inner ear hair cells?

11. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Well yes - they've been at it for a while actually, but I haven't seen any based on Electro Magnetic Fields.

12. SoundB0und
      Balanced

SoundB0und Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity
      The recommended earphones I ordered will be arriving on Monday and I will probably give this a go, very carefully at first. Though I'm having a bit second thoughts. Let me explain why.

I asked the same question about MuteButton, and it later came out it doesn't help hyperacusis and there was a misunderstanding. He used the phrase "knocks out the tinnitus". Well tinnitus and pain from hyperacusis are not completely useless.

Hyperacusis probably has evolutionary reasons, one's ears are severely damaged and it's like a wound, your brain is trying to make sure you don't get further damage.

If a person using this sound gets relief from hyperacusis, and the physiology of the ears is not changed in the 3 weeks or less that it takes to get rid of tinnitus and hyperacusis, I can totally see how using it could give people a false sense of security.

It'd be most apparent in the extreme cases of hyperacusis. My hyperacusis is not that bad (anymore), but still I could find myself in situations that would cause pain and I should leave or find protection but wouldn't because I'd have no way to gauge if it's damaging my ears.

I'm pretty careful when it comes to stuff like this, I'd still protect after "curing" my hyperacusis and tinnitus in loud places. But some people, especially if they had bad hyperacusis before, might just think they're fine now and end up damaging, possibly severely, their hearing and wouldn't even notice it because it could be gradual and there'd be no "warning signal".

People can't even read the instructions and follow them. There's also no disclaimer about you needing to still protect your ears if you do end up getting relief.

If it was just for me, then I'd rather have this sound work like MuteButton, helping tinnitus and not hyperacusis. Unless Mr. Case is claiming it actually heals the ears or that their physiology is changed in a few weeks, what I described can be a problem, especially in the severe cases of H and damaged ears.

So my concern is not so much about the sound causing damage itself. Maybe I'm missing something, if so, I'd be glad if somebody points it out.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      R. David Case

R. David Case Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Well actually all audio equipment is rated in R.M.S. (root mean square) and that is at 70% of total output. So there are some ultra-sonics getting through just at lower levels. And there are very short pulses also in the sound mix.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      R. David Case

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      We know it works on sound induced tinnitus and several other types and have tested it on a few hyperacusis people. I would use on low volume and if any spike happens I would stop. Hyperacusis is quite different. But yes I do believe this sound mix is reviving parts of brain and ear, I and many others get their high frequency hearing range back.

• Like Like x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      R. David Case

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I believe this sound mix is reviving parts of the brain and ear, many report a clarity of mind the have not had in years. I and many got back the upper hearing range. Like this guy, he got results faster than most. It can take 3 weeks to see results.

cured person 382 001.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      R. David Case

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Yes.

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      R. David Case

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I have tested many headphones and methods and so have the 420 people I have helped eliminate their tinnitus, I get feedback letters every week saying I tried it on speakers but the Koss work better etc. I have tested this for 18 years and Europe has made a secret Facebook study group to perfect this 7 kinds of interference. The two 555 chips created massive interference patterns and PULSES and square waves, sine waves, etc I then had it playing on speakers when I was recording it but accidental had a live mic connected. So there is another layer of feedback on top of everything else. Also I found that my rheostat was burnt making that section a THERMAL TRANSDUCER. Many things going on at once in my sound mix NOT just random frequencies!!!

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      R. David Case

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I agree, I give my cure away for free so I don't think you need to go there.

• Like Like x 2
    19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      R. David Case

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Very interesting, they are using low frequencies but mine covers the whole spectrum, does seem similar in theory.

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      R. David Case

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Any coil that you apply AC current to is going to transmit that energy.

21. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still squabbling... anyone actually tried this yet?

22. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Like being hanged, drawn, and quartered and then having your head impaled on a stake on London Bridge?

• Winner Winner x 1
    23. gorzakus

gorzakus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ?
      Wondering about this myself, I'm waiting for the headphones which could take a while.

24. gorzakus

gorzakus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ?
      As I see you helped 420 people but how many have tried this in total, that you know of?

Just to have an idea what percentage got better listening to your invention.

25. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      It's possible, but you can't derive that conclusion from one data point. If you're interested in learning what this method brings to the table, you have to conduct a scientific study with the usual features (control group, double blind, etc...)

The other thing to A/B test is whether the sound is useful or not: perhaps the sound is a useless byproduct of feeding the coils with a signal, or maybe it does have an impact (then it would be good to know whether it's a positive or negative impact). The Ti-Ex device doesn't emit sound, for example.

Again, without a statistically significant number of samples, there isn't much we can conclude here.

• Agree Agree x 1
    26. MidnightOilAudio
      Ape-like

MidnightOilAudio Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      RMS is a volume measurement in this case, best thought of as an average. I’m not sure how to interpret your statement, I just wanted to point out that at a 44.1kHz sample rate (which the file you provided is), the Nyquist cutoff frequency is at 22.05kHz, so you have exactly a 2.05k bandwidth of ultrasonic frequencies to play with. It doesn’t make up a large portion of the sound.

27. RaZaH
      Cheeky

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Also, a day after result could have lasted just for the day, how would we know.
      Tinnitus varies, that much we know.

28. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      That is also why having headphones that can reproduce frequencies above 22.05 kHz isn't that useful since the signal itself can't be reproduced with higher frequencies given the sampling rate of 44.1 kHz (good old Nyquist again). If something is happening, it's happening at < 22.05 kHz...

• Agree Agree x 1
    29. InfiniteLoop
      Relaxed

InfiniteLoop Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss in left ear from head trauma (?)
      @R. David Case

Sorry, but it does not pass the smell test: this is pseudoscience. Not only eliminates tinnitus, but it improves high frequency hearing! I am surprised that it does not cure blindness as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
    30. RaZaH
      Cheeky

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Don't forget, it also cures mind control.

• Funny Funny x 1