Magnesium

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by ChrisJ, Sep 17, 2015.

1. David077
      Creative

David077 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress, benzo/clonozepam + clonidine, maybe infection
      Usually, Magnesium lactate and Magnesium carbonate used in small amount as extra for food and other supplements.

I think Magnesium glycinate penetrate the blood-brain barrier because relaxing effect of it.

magnesium-forms-tinnitus-jpg.jpg

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    2. Jonnie-o

Jonnie-o Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus
      You forgot Magnesium Oil, just spray it on your body superior absorption.

• Like Like x 1
    3. David077
      Creative

David077 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress, benzo/clonozepam + clonidine, maybe infection
      It's Magnesium chloride in water, for relieve muscle pains and aches. What will be if you spray it on the head?:bored:

Wiki
      Magnesium oil (also referred to as transdermal magnesium) is a mixture of Magnesium chloride in water. In reality it is not an oil. It is applied to the skin. The magnesium is absorbed through the skin and is claimed to have health benefits, such as for the treatment of magnesium deficiency, to relieve muscle pains and aches (especially headaches), and enhance to relaxation.

4. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @Jiri Magnesium is supposed to help relax neck muscles. I'm not sure if taking magnesium for neck and nerve injury is wise, because neck muscles and nerves need to be strengthened.

I can only find a few general comments where taking magnesium is considered a negative for neck injury. What do you or others think?

5. Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      I'll start taking magnesium (once I rid myself of psych. medication) because it apparently helps with the nerves' healing process and, according to some, it also has anti-inflammatory potency.

As far as relaxing neck muscles goes, this is the first time I heard it, tbh. I know you can overdose with Mg, so I'd be careful there.

• Creative Creative x 1
    6. Apolonia
      Disappointed

Apolonia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, acoustic trauma
      Mg helps me with H. Due to a terrible jaw pain provoked by sounds,I take Mg that melts in the water. It relaxes my muscles in the jaw and the pain is mostly gone. I really do believe it helps a little bit in the case of ear pain. And I am 100% sure it helps with muscles bc it helped me a lot after body training prior to getting tinnitus. I believe that Mg that melts in the water is more efficient.

• Informative Informative x 4
    7. Cape crusader
      Cool

Cape crusader Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/18/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Microsuction ear wax removal
      I use Magnesium Complex Liquid by Genestra Brands. Combo of Glycinate / Citrate / Malate.

One tablespoon at night. Sleeping well and tinnitus has been calmer. Little pricey but I think it’s worth it as opposed to taking multi pills to get all three. On Amazon.

8. chris.paget

chris.paget Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I just finished reading this study, which indicates the protective capacity of magnesium against hearing loss associated with noise exposure.

Two part question:

1) Is there clinical evidence or support for oral magnesium supplements reducing existing tinnitus vs just protecting against hearing loss?

2) What are recommendations for a good brand of magnesium (most readily absorbed / highest quality) and what is the best form of magnesium to take?

Thanks, in advance!

Attached Files:

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    9. chris.paget

chris.paget Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I was directed to this study in another thread, in which magnesium was shown effective in protecting against noise related hearing loss: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0196070994900361

However, in many threads, I'm seeing that people take other forms of magnesium (citrate, chloride, etc) but have not seen mentions of magnesium-only supplements and use of magnesium aspartate as in the study. To take it to another level, the study used an oral serum of magnesium aspartate.

So, I'm wondering if there is any knowledge out there about what is the preferred way to take magnesium and if anyone has tried taking it as a serum? I have been taking an inexpensive cal-mag-zinc supplement but looking for a higher quality option.

• Like Like x 1
    10. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      I haven't looked into aspartate, but I take chelated magnesium which is high-absorption. Magnesium glycinate.

• Like Like x 2
    11. acute
      Depressed

acute Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      Which form/type of magnesium is the best for tinnitus?

12. Farah
      Wisdomatic

Farah Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise - Standing next to speaker at 2 day festival.
      I've been taking magnesium 375 mg on and off since my tinnitus onset and I find it helps. It might just be placebo but I truly believe in it.

• Like Like x 1
    13. kelpiemsp
      Swamped

kelpiemsp Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      birth/ recent spike 2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Born with ETD, several acoustic traumas, most recently ETD
      It's all about absorption. Glycinate is generally considered the best. It has been proven to help prevent hearing loss and damage, it also relaxes your muscles. I take it every night as part of my routine.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    14. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      What about citrate?

15. kelpiemsp
      Swamped

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's a good laxative! For tinnitus purposes, glycinate has the highest absorption rate, so I would really stick with that.

16. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      What's your opinion on Magnesium L-Threonate?

"Magnesium L-threonate (MgT) was developed at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. MgT (pronounced “Mag T”) is special because of the way it boosts brain magnesium levels when taken orally. This effect is due to its unique ability to cross the blood-brain barrier." (source: Life Extension which is a manufacturer of all kinds of supplements...)

• Informative Informative x 1
    17. kelpiemsp
      Swamped

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If targeting the brain is your goal, this would be best! I like glycinate because it helps more with muscles relaxation (sleep and TMJ). But threonate is very good too, and likely better for plasticity.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    18. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      I have been taking citrate for a while. Perhaps I’ll switch over.

19. acute
      Depressed

acute Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      @kelpiemsp Thanks you for answer! What's your opinion on Chelated Magnesium?

It's good to take magnesium just before going to bed?

20. dan26
      Frustrated

dan26 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      very bad concussion motorcycle accident
      I've been taking Nature Made Magnesium (Oxide) 250mg almost every night for a couple years and it does not help tinnitus at all. It does help me sleep a bit better. I bought NOW Magnesium Citrate recently and will try it. It says 3 capsules on label but i will start with one. I'm sensitive to anything!:(

• Like Like x 1
    21. Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I did 500 mg of magnesium citrate for 2 weeks along with Prednisone and got very dehydrated even drinking water. I stopped

22. dan26
      Frustrated

dan26 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stay away from prednisone. Bad stuff. I have a book that says the drugs to avoid. Prednisone is on it.

• Like Like x 1
    23. dan26
      Frustrated

dan26 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Threonate seems to be the one I should try.

24. Helheim
      Angry

Helheim Member Podcast Patron

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection
      Is that the Ototoxic Meds book? Are there meds that aren't in there? Lol

25. TealD

TealD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I am going to lay off the magnesium. I took it for the last two months since onset and I saw great results. To the point where it seemed like my tinnitus was almost gone. So I decided to stop taking it a couple of days ago.

My tinnitus is back in full force since I stopped. I guess the magnesium gave me false hope thinking I almost beat this thing.

I'm so distraught right now. Just the other day I was thinking to myself at work that I might eventually write a success story on this website. I am going to let this tinnitus heal naturally now rather than mask it just in case if Lenire ever comes to California I can be tested at my real tinnitus volume rather then masked volume.

Also since I stopped taking magnesium I have noticed that I am not sleeping as well as I used to.

26. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      Why would you stop taking the mag if it's helping?

27. TealD

TealD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Because I feel like it has just been masking my symptoms and not actually healing me. To be honest the noise has gone down considerably today ever since I wrote this post. I have just been having a hard time lately and the tinnitus was loud as hell this morning and I needed somewhere to vent. I have also been dealing with depression lately and have no idea why that's happening.

Also, I have been dealing with a clicking or drum noise in my right ear when I move my head back and forth or side to side. I feel like I want to pop my ears but I heard that has caused tinnitus in people who have tried it.

So I'm sorry if I wasted anyone's time who read this.

28. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      Did not waste anyone’s time :) . Just curious as you seemed to find some relief is all.

29. Stefaniie

Stefaniie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise exposure
      What type of magnesium were you taking?

30. TealD

TealD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I originally started off with Magnesium oxide, but it was making me tired and more frequent bowel movements. I believe it did have a significant improvement on my tinnitus. I switched to chelated magnesium because I was reading how it's more effective. Honestly, though I felt the oxide gave me the most help, especially with sleep which was tough at first.

• Informative Informative x 1