Magnesium

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by ChrisJ, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      This graphic looks very useful.

Does anyone know which one of these corresponds to "chelated" magnesium?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Phendran
      Benevolent

Phendran Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      [QUOTE="Mister Muso, post: 468955, member: 37084"

Does anyone know which one of these corresponds to "chelated" magnesium?[/QUOTE]
      My jar of chelated magnesium says "Magnesium Citrate" as the primary ingredient in the ingredient list.

• Like Like x 2
    3. Charburchar

Charburchar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Is it safe to take magnesium with turmeric and a general A-Z vitamin and mineral supplement?

4. G H
      Curious

G H Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I don't see why not.

5. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Off topic, but could you point me to one that is highly absorbable and not just a laxative? I just started taking magnesium and this stuff was pretty damn expensive and had good reviews so I'm hoping it's just not a laxative :clown:

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    6. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      I used to give myself intramuscular magnesium injections and I also did liquid Magnesium Chloride orally (tastes atrocious). There are a lot of options but Magnesium Oxide is pretty much useless.

I found this, which may be helpful:

https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Magnesium-HealthProfessional/

• Informative Informative x 1
    7. xyz
      Alienated

xyz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2006 mild T 2019 T worsening H onset
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown / probably noise induced
      I am taking this, because I read somewhere it has good absorption and the ingredients should be safe (no old tires mixed in). I would be gladly pointed to some better alternative if such exists however.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Dolgoruki

Dolgoruki Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss
      Magnesium on an empty stomach reliably relaxes me and makes my tinnitus less intrusive. It's the one supplement that I can say for sure has a positive impact on tinnitus perception based on several pre-post observations.

• Like Like x 6
    9. Drachen
      Tired

Drachen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Currently unknown; likely noise-induced
      Figured I should drop by and post a tentative endorsement of Magnesium.

I've been trying for the last two weeks 400 mg daily of Magnesium Glycinate to what I consider good success. I've been taking it in the evening, separate from my other supplements, generally on an empty or light stomach, and close to bed. In general, I would say I am a lot less tense, and getting to sleep has been made easier.

I cannot say for sure to what extent if any it has contributed to my evenings being nicer, as I also typically drink herbal tea, take Melatonin, and chill out around this time. My circadian rhythm is also a lot more used to this pattern, so this could be a factor as well.

With regards to my symptoms, I can't really say if it's had any effect, positive or negative, in that regard. My left ear did start to act up a couple days later and has since been problematic, but that could have been a variety of things: the single Amitriptyline I took the night before, some loud noise I had been around, or just a change it decided to make. If anyone has any further conclusive stories about Magnesium affecting the sound, I'd love to hear it.

Also, if there are any former users of Magnesium Glycinate who have since moved on to a form they think is better, please let me know.

10. Ryan Edwards

Ryan Edwards Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I read that Magnesium Aspartate is best for tinnitus.

Has anyone tried that?

11. Syb
      Pensive

Syb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1990, 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss & possibly a neck / C spine issue?
      Hi everyone. I was wondering what kind of Magnesium would be best for me? Hoping someone can help me understand better as after browsing a few pages of this thread, I ended up more confused.

I have hearing loss induced tinnitus (from very long ago, it usually doesn't bother me at all) and a very recent somatic tinnitus (either from TMJ or neck issues, rather annoying) that brought some dysacusis too (simply debilitating). I'm mostly bothered by the new symptoms.

I had purchased Magnesium Citrate (haven't tried it yet) but based on a few posts here this might not be the best type of Magnesium for me after all...?

If someone can enlighten me, that'd be really kind of you. Thank you!

• Winner Winner x 1
    12. Drachen
      Tired

Drachen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hey there, Syb.

What specifically are you hoping for Magnesium to do? If you want to take it simply in order to boost your Magnesium levels in case of a deficiency, then I would just take any one of the more bioavailable forms. As far as I can tell, anything that isn't oxide is alright in that department. You might just want to stick to foods rich in Magnesium instead if you're just worried about deficiency.

If you want a specific effect, such as sleep improvement or anxiety reduction, then you'll have to research the individual forms. I take Glycinate, which is supposed to be good for both sleep and anxiety, and I think it's the only supplement I've taken in which I could notice its intended effect. It's not a magic bullet, but it certainly does help! I have also heard this from other users here on the forum.

Citrate specifically from what I can tell is mostly to help your digestive system. Others you may want to consider are Malate, Taurate, or L-Threonate. I'm particularly considering trying L-Threonate considering it is cited as affecting the brain positively.

I'm sorry I can't really give you a conclusive answer, but I was surprised myself to learn how many different varieties of this supplement there are.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    13. Syb
      Pensive

Syb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1990, 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Drachen, thanks so much for taking the time to write such an elaborate explanation. I truly appreciate it!

As my anxiety is off the charts recently and my sleep easily disturbed thanks to this new combo of somatic tinnitus + dysacusis, I think I'll return the Magnesium I have and swap it for the Glycinate.

Thanks again!

• Hug Hug x 1
    14. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      Yes, that's best for somatic tinnitus. Take a half tablet twice a day. Take one of those halves, an hour or so before going to bed. Leave a two hour window between taking Magnesium and prescription meds.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    15. Syb
      Pensive

Syb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1990, 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Greg Sacramento, sorry to bother you over such a detail but, what's the recommended dosage, please?

I just realized the brand I was about to order is 200 mg capsules so I can't really cut them in half.

Any specific brands I should look for? I'm in Canada, so fewer options online and in stores than in the US, unfortunately.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: actually, most options I see online are capsules... and my local drugstores have very little options when it comes to supplements.

16. Drachen
      Tired

Drachen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I personally take 400 mg a day. Anything between 200 mg and 400 mg should be fine. I suppose it would depend on your body composition, tolerance, diet, and use case though.

17. Syb
      Pensive

Syb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1990, 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Drachen, oh okay, good to know!

I might have to settle for 200mg capsules after all because it's the only dosage I've found so far. Might just go for one capsule a day and eventually two if it's not enough / well tolerated.

Thanks for your feedback!

• Like Like x 1
    18. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Syb, taking Magnesium just once a day, usually won't help with somatic tinnitus as muscles and joints will keep asking for more.

I sometimes use KAL Glycinate - 400 mg pills that can be found on Amazon. I break a pill - take half during the day and half before going to bed. It's needed to leave a 2 - 4 hour window from other prescription medications. Place Magnesium along side of a used med into internet search to see if there's interactions. A small amount of Calcium should be taken when using magnesium. I can't use much Calcium as it causes abdominal issues.

A highly professional study on somatic neck/jaw tinnitus, recommends 100mg of Glycinate Magnesium 6 times a day to receive a possible 50-60% reduction of somatic tinnitus??? Too much Magnesium like all vitamins can have side effects for some. I do take a full 400 mg Glycinate Magnesium tablet one hour before being in a possible situation of loud noise - such as at the dentist.

When viewing side effect lists of something taken by mouth or a physical therapy with tinnitus, somatic or pulsatile, a complete list is never given. When I read medical research studies on specific issues, it's often stated not to take this or do this physical therapy. I have posted many concerns such as too much vitamin A can cause hypertension and is a concern with intracranial hypertension. The retina and white area of eyes can be become stressed.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    19. Drachen
      Tired

Drachen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Does this mean I should be taking my Magnesium Glycinate with a glass of milk? I've just been doing it with water. I had no idea about this potential need for Calcium as well.
      Do you have an estimated value on what may be "too much Vitamin A"? I am going to be taking it as a supplement since my vision has been a bit wonky lately, but it's only 1500 mcg (~5000 IU). I've seen that 10000 IU is generally recommended as a maximum daily intake.

20. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Drachen 1500 mcg is fine without hypertension. Consider potatoes on occasion to get some Potassium. You most likely don't need to take Calcium tablets. Some females need a small amount of Calcium with Magnesium use that have weak bones. If so, Calcium should be taken 2 hours before taking Magnesium.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    21. Drachen
      Tired

Drachen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you very much! I'll keep this in mind going forward. One of the last things I want to do is take supplements and not have them properly absorbed/utilized due to prerequisites I'm not meeting or situations in which they should and shouldn't be taken.

• Like Like x 1
    22. Syb
      Pensive

Syb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1990, 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ...I can't possibly have seen a difference after just one pill of 200mg, right? It's gotta be placebo...? Theoretically, when should one expect to see a difference for somatic tinnitus AND on the muscles, approximately / from your experience?

I swear I just had one of my best / least reactive days in weeks. So much so that I decided to risk exposing myself to sound after three days in (mostly complete) silence and managed to listen to podcasts on my favorite meditation app (on my phone's speakers) for nearly 3 hours... at decent volume... even moving my phone on my left (my distortion ear) with very little distortion and no noticeable increase and tinnitus.

Whether or not this was all a coincidence, I can't really say... but I was so grateful I cried tears of relief to finally be able to listen to something without my brain or ears freaking out.

On the other hand, I can't say it made my actual muscles relax that much (or at all) as my neck was still super stiff throughout the whole day...

But still. It was a nice little break from loud tinnitus, reactivity and distortions so, yay. :)

• Like Like x 1
    23. kingsfan
      Haunting

kingsfan Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      turning everything up to 11
      I've been taking Magnesium Threonate since last October. It has done nothing for my tinnitus. I'm just taking it now to see if it helps lessen my headaches. The jury is still out but I think it's had a positive effect so far.

24. Drachen
      Tired

Drachen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Any noteworthy effect on your anxiety and/or sleeping quality? This is mostly what I'm taking the glycinate for at the moment, as well as any hearing protection it may provide.

25. kingsfan
      Haunting

kingsfan Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      turning everything up to 11
      No I haven't noticed any effects on anxiety or sleep.

26. Shizune
      Alone

Shizune Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A curse
      I've been out of Magnesium for a few days now and I'm getting burning in my left ear, which rarely happens. I had been taking it daily for several months and never missed a day. So I guess it actually does work.

My order is delayed. I usually take chelated bisglycinate, so I'm settling for oxide from the grocery store right now to hold me over. Worried about how that will affect me.

27. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      Magnesium Oxide is the worst form of them all. The absorption rate is awful, and the only effect you get will be placebo.

Your grocery story only had the Oxide form?

28. Shizune
      Alone

Shizune Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A curse
      Yes apparently. I can't leave the house so my friend had to go. Sent me a picture and that's all that was there. It's the only grocery store nearby too. It was either that or citrate, and they are both bad.

Why even bother selling them if they are just diarrhea pills? Ugh.

29. Marin
      Happy

Marin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSNHL (probably previous noise exposure, too)
      Reading all of this testimony about how Magnesium has helped others really makes me want to give it another try, but I always get dizzy spells and feel faint after taking it for about two days. I assume it’s low blood pressure, but I’m not 100% sure.

Does anyone have any tips on how I could still take Magnesium and avoid these dizzy spells? Do I also need to supplement with something like Potassium or eat more Sodium to keep electrolyte levels balanced?

30. Nathan Chapman

Nathan Chapman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress?
      I changed my entire diet. I went from various processed foods to whole foods rich in Iron, Magnesium, and B12. I was near 100mg of the 400mg recommended daily. Now I am floating around 300-400mg by eating spinach, bananas, blueberries, raspberries, and 70% dark chocolate sweetened by Stevie daily.

My stress level impacts my T. Days where I have managed to lower my stress; the T has almost wholly disappeared.

Making these life changes has helped tremendously. When my T first appeared, I was a wreck and contemplated all sorts of wild shit.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Winner Winner x 2