Problems with Nasal Spray Flonase

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ernesto, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Ernesto

Ernesto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hit in my ear
      I have had tinnitus for a long time due to a hit in my ear but in the past few months my symptoms have worsened clearly.

I think it has to do with the fact that I did a work in my house and it generated a lot of dust... there was also fiberglass insulation.

I think all that led me to a Eustachian Tube Dysfunction and it worsened my tinnitus. Have you ever experienced this?

Besides, the Doctor prescribed me Flonase and I think this nasal spray has worsened my symptoms... I have a cracking in my ear every time I swallow...

Do you think Flonase can make the symptoms worse? Especially the cracking in the ear when swallowing and the tinnitus... I really feel that it does not help but on the contrary it makes the pressure in my ear worse and feel louder the tinnitus. Is it my imagination or is it possible?

Thanks a lot my friends, regards.

2. Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Flonase and all the other steroid nasal sprays made my tinnitus much worse, though no one else here seemed to have the same experience. Haven't gotten any answers as to why this is.

3. Richard zurowski

Richard zurowski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      27/12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection.
      @Ernesto. Hi the cracking sound in your ear could be due to a build up of catarrh in your sinuses. I've had this cracking sound Which you have mentioned and mine has cleared up by using a nasal spray. I don't think nasal sprays have any bearing on tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Isabella 123
      Curious

Isabella 123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably traumatic noise event
      Flonase seemed to spike my tinnitus. Stopped using it for that reason.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. cviechec
      Scared

cviechec Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      otc painkillers
      Flonase gave me eye floaters. Be careful with that stuff.

6. Rick Garner
      Fine

Rick Garner Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/ 2016 (T free since mid March 2017) 
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD (most probably)
      Nasonex was the spray prescribed by my ENT. I used it daily for 3 months, and that cured my tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    7. Stasiapascual

Stasiapascual Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 15, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Allergies/ sinus
      @Rick Garner, is Nasonex the same as Flonase? So your tinnitus is gone?

8. Rick Garner
      Fine

Rick Garner Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/ 2016 (T free since mid March 2017) 
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD (most probably)
      Both Nasonex and Flonase are steroids and belong to the same family. Nasal sprays might help you as your tinnitus is from allergies. Keep in mind that it will take at least 3 months to see some improvement. 6~12 months or even longer to fully fade or disappear. Hang on.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Canyouhearmenow

Canyouhearmenow Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have no idea that's why I'm here.
      I have been using Flonase for 3 months and 3 days ago the ringing started in my ears!

I stopped using Flonase this morning. The ringing is almost gone!

• Like Like x 1
    10. Welshwitch

Welshwitch Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Age related?
      I only recently made the connection between Flonase and a spike in my tinnitus. I had to use it this past weekend, and I have a constant high pitched buzz going on. It will subside when I stop Flonase, but it takes a few days. I’ve been keeping track of the spikes and the only common denominator is the Flonase. I decided to google it to see if anybody else found the same connection, since it’s not listed on the side effects.

11. CrystalB

CrystalB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My primary doctor prescribed me Flonase as she seemed my tinnitus was due to allergies.

I took it for a couple of days and it seemed to make my tinnitus even more louder so I stopped it within a few days. I then went to an ENT and he told me to take Mometasone Furoate, and it seems to help more than the Flonase.

I’ve been on it for 3 to 4 months and my tinnitus hasn’t went away so I’m starting to taper off of the nose spray because I don’t want my body to get used to it.

I was diagnosed with ETD, I don’t know if my tinnitus is related to that.

12. Ringringring

Ringringring Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flonase
      I am nearly 100% certain Flonase created tinnitus in my case.

I've had tinnitus in my right ear for 7 months, and just prior I started using Flonase. As such, I stopped using Flonase, but the problem didn't go away. Yesterday, my allergies were terrible, and I wanted to try Flonase again, and not use a Zyrtec pill, so I tried it again, and BAM, now my other (left) ear is ringing with a high pitch.

This REALLY leads me to think that at least for some people it causes tinnitus.

Now, how can we get it to go away?

13. Sayeed

Sayeed Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/1/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unsure
      I used Flonase as per my ENT's instructions. I only used it yesterday and today.

My tinnitus is now 30% louder than normal. Hopefully it goes back to baseline. I hope this is temporary as I was just getting used to my tinnitus.

14. Sayeed

Sayeed Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/1/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unsure
      Update.

My spike still hasn't gone down. It's like a higher pitch tinnitus. Sucks. I hope this isn't the new normal. Going through a lot in life right now.

• Hug Hug x 1
    15. Sayeed

Sayeed Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/1/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unsure
      Update.

I still have the same much higher frequency tinnitus but volume is now the same as before taking Flonase.

I'm almost curious, since it increased my frequency to 9-10 kHz range, what if I kept taking Flonase and it increased the frequency high enough to where I can't hear it anymore. Thoughts? It's a risk that I am not sure I want to take.

Side note: I went to the beach this weekend and the salt water seemed to kill the crackling in my ears and reduce the tinnitus for a full day. Is that a sign of ETD?

16. Lukee

Lukee Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wim Hof Breathing Exercises
      I would think that the salt water/air helping your tinnitus might have to do with ETD or fluid in the ears. Either way, maybe follow that lead to try and make yourself better.

17. Sayeed

Sayeed Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/1/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unsure
      Thanks man. This will be good reason for me to convince my wife to go to the beach again this weekend lol.

I hope you are doing well. Any update on your end?

18. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Wrfortiscue Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      The higher the pitch, the more I start wincing lol. It’s uncomfortable.

19. Elmer B Fuddled

Elmer B Fuddled Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      plugged nasal eustachian tube
      I had ETD caused by ear infection. The doctor told me an over the counter nasal spray, Dymista, would work.

I have explained using nasal spray in a few other posts here. Your doctor tells you to use nasal spray. What they don't tell you is how to use it.

A retired doctor explained to me the correct way to spray for Eustachian Tube problems. And I like to pass it on to those using a nasal spray. So let me explain the correct procedure.

As an example, let's use the right ear. While standing, look down towards the floor, not with your chin in your chest, just look down. Put the nasal spray into your right nostril, don't shove it all the way up your nose, now take the spray bottle and slightly point it towards your right ear, spray one shot of it toward the right ear. By doing this you are pointing to the Eustachian Tube. Do not snort the spray, breathe normally. Snorting it causes the spray to bypass the Eustachian Tube opening which won't help, well it would if your brain was infected which it isn't.

Most or all doctors cant explain this process of using a spray. Took me 3 different doctors to get it.

Hope this helps.

It took me about 2 months to clear the infection but then my Eustachian Tube was bad, which caused the tinnitus. The Dymista had no effect on my tinnitus. It never spiked and never went beyond its normal ringing and hissing.

Elmer

• Helpful Helpful x 3
    20. kingsfan
      Haunting

kingsfan Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      turning everything up to 11
      Ugh I wish I would have seen this thread sooner... My tinnitus ramped up yesterday. Super high pitched and LOUD. The only variable that has changed is that I started taking Flonase a few days prior. I wanted to see if it would help with the ear fullness I've been feeling the past few months.

Has yours gone back to at least a bearable level? I'm hoping mine will go back down in a few days...

21. Lukee

Lukee Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wim Hof Breathing Exercises
      Not really. Same old story. ENTs are useless and hoping for time to heal. For the most part, the hyperacusis has resolved and I get a little bit of sound sensitivity at high pitches. The feeling of fluid in ears is better but not fully gone. I would imagine that the beach and salt water would help me too but no traveling with this archaic government in Canada.

22. Sayeed

Sayeed Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/1/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unsure
      Hey man. Fortunately, the volume went back down to baseline but the frequency is still very high. I feel like the Flonase cleared up my sinuses, but now I hear a clear higher frequency tone.

As @Elmer B Fuddled said, maybe we're applying the spray wrong.

Hope this helps.
      But can the pitch get high enough to the point we can't hear it anymore?
      Ahh man, come down my way to Florida. My house is always open. Hey, at least the hyperacusis is gone. That's half the battle.

23. Logan
      Stressed

Logan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Any updates on this? Was there any improvement? I’ve been taking Flonase for a couple weeks and noticed a big improvement but then it started getting worse again and I’m worried it’s caused permanent damage. My ears are much higher pitch and louder. I’m going crazy and can’t sleep well anymore.

• Hug Hug x 1
    24. MartinPihl

MartinPihl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unkown
      @Ernesto, did the crackling ease up? Mine has been absolutely terrible for a couple of months now. I can't speak a sentence, due to the fear of the high crackling :/

25. David L

David L Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2000/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I have been using Nasonex for allergies, during the summer months for years without problems, but since my tinnitus got a bit worse last fall it actually seems to cause a high frequency spike.

Not sure what to do this summer, I think there are some alternatives without corticosteroids but they used to be less effective last time I tried them.

26. kingsfan
      Haunting

kingsfan Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      turning everything up to 11
      I'm going to try Nasacort. My insurance wouldn't pay for Nasonex... wanted to try that.

27. Matthew67

Matthew67 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluticasone Furoate (Flonase)
      I've had a sinus problem for a while which I've since come to realise is probably down to old carpet that's breaking up and emitting lots of fine dust. I was prescribed with Flonase (Fluticasone Fluorate in the UK) which I used for a month and have just been told by my optician that I have a postcapsular cataract in my right eye (and I have permanent obscuration of the left eye). I've also just developed tinnitus which I've never suffered from before and have a permanent high frequency noise in both ears. I wish to hell that I never went anywhere near Flonase and would advise anyone using it or thinking of using it to steer well clear.

• Like Like x 1
    28. kmt

kmt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Did you get better after stopping Flonase?