Prof. Thanos Tzounopoulos Receives $2 Million Grant

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Jack Straw, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Emgee

Emgee Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Modern Society = Too Loud
      From Retigabine to even SPI-1005 trials, there is evidence of sufferers experiencing a reduction in tinnitus from treatments. Will one or a combination of these drugs “cure” tinnitus for all? Maybe, maybe not. I personally don’t think we’ll see a universal cure until many years out, especially considering the degree of hearing damage is not the same for each person. However, it is very likely that these drugs will provide a significant reduction in tinnitus loudness and severity. And that, in my opinion, provides hope for a much quieter future that appears to be only a few years away.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    2. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Burning pain yes, and it was all cleared by Retigabine. Now when you think about RL-81 being 15 times more potent than Retigabine... I just hope it works for everyone, because @Telis tried it and it did nothing for him. I tried 50mg and it did nothing for me...

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. ASilverLight
      In pain

ASilverLight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dunno. Started after blocked ears + stres/anxiety.
      I think a lot of us will be happy with a reduction anyway. I don't think anything upcoming will be the cure for everyone. Tinnitus is incredibly complex and has many, many different causes. However, by targeting certain areas and calming down the brain, reduction in tinnitus severity should very well be possible, even within 10 years should even just some of the current trial drugs be successful.

Honestly, all I want right now is for my tinnitus to stabilise and to get to a quiet room only stage. I'll be happy if that happens.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 2
    4. Born To Slay
      Depressed

Born To Slay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      From what I’ve read, Retigabine wasn’t very specific and therefore needed to be taken in higher does for tinnitus relief. Meanwhile the new drug will be more potent and more specific.

• Agree Agree x 2
    5. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      My point exactly... and a lot safer too.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. UKBloke

UKBloke Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music / family history
      Re Retigabine and regenerative medicine don't forget @attheedgeofscience's experience; Low Level Laser therapy, Stem Cell therapy, and Trobalt that eventually got him to the point of being "essentially tinnitus free".

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1