Sound Pharmaceuticals (SPI-5557 & SPI-1005)

Discussion in 'Research News' started by joe, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Lucifer

Lucifer Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Thanks for the clarification. I thought it was coming out either the end of this year or early next year but I guess that’s not happening.

• Informative Informative x 1
    2. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      New company investigating Ebselen for recurrent C-diff infections (pre-clinical and much further behind but interesting):

Facile Therapeutics

• Informative Informative x 3
    3. Bambam0
      Cool

Bambam0 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Rock 'n Roll
      They should be testing this on people who develop or have an increase in tinnitus post COVID-19 vaccine too.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    4. weab00
      Gloomy

weab00 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      some good mf music
      God damn, going to have to wait another two years for this stuff to come out, and that's assuming it gets FDA approval. Not sure if I can do that.

I don't have $5k to throw at a shady Chinese lab.

• Agree Agree x 2
    5. VeryUnfortunate
      Stressed

VeryUnfortunate Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I know I am getting closer and closer everyday to the point where I just want to throw all my money at my ear problems.

• Agree Agree x 3
    6. spacehunter

spacehunter Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019 (mild), 09/2020 (severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      As a warning to everyone trying to order Ebselen or other chemicals from China:

Request first a sample to test for a low price before ordering a larger quantity. I ordered from a Chinese supplier a probe to check and it turned out to be scam. So even if you are provided with legit NMR, HPLC and mass spectroscopy data, it can still be a scam. I was quite happy that I did not order 25 or even 50 grams right away...

• Informative Informative x 5
    7. Kam75

Kam75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced trauma in 2014 and 2019+ototoxic drug in 2020
      Can someone please explain to me the new "hype" over Ebselen? To what extent this drug could help tinnitus? How far is it from the market (what clinical phase is it in now)?

Thanks!

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    8. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Going with a US manufacturer is probably the only way to go (the key is finding someone in research to order it). Glad you got the sample tested.

9. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      It's a very complex drug. I posted about its mechanism of actions on page 23 of this thread.

So far it has lowered tinnitus clinically in Meniere's patients (the only group tested so far) and in some rodent studies showed behavioral improvements that reflected tinnitus and hyperacusis reduction (the various studies have been posted in this thread).

The thing Ebselen seems to do best is address glutamate mediated neuroexcitability and crosses both the BBB and blood cochlear layer really well.

• Informative Informative x 4
      • Like Like x 3
    10. spacehunter

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      I did not even have to test the sample (I still will for sure, simply because I have access to NMR spectroscopy). Basically the package I got sent contained a cheap foundation ingredient of cosmetics and all the declarations for customs as well as the shipping invoice stating the same. Since they did not respond to my emails ever, I assume that the customs declaration was correct and it is a scam (rather than using a faked customs declaration to avoid customs fees on my end).

What still bugs me is why they even made the effort to send something. They could just have taken the money for express shipping as well and sent nothing. Instead, they still made the effort to send something.

I still think that one can go with Chinese suppliers, but one must stay wary. Also, it could be the case that one is on average cheaper off with US suppliers rather than having to find a trustworthy supplier in China by trial and error.

11. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      That is really strange...

12. Tezcatlipoca
      Question it

Tezcatlipoca Member

Oh I think I know this one. Basically they are banking on you not contacting the financial institution you used to pay them. If you do so and they give you your money back, they will claim it was a mistake and presumably send you the actual stuff. They operate on the assumption people will not do this so even by sending X chemical product (which probably costs them pennies), they are making a profit. It's a common scam used by Chinese online retailers, whenever they pile up too many complaints or bad reputation, they just change their name and set up another virtual store on the many websites they use.

• Informative Informative x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    13. spacehunter

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      This would have made sense if I had used an e-commerce platform or for example PayPal. But this was old school just via email (I found the supplier using chemicalbook.com) and bank wire, so there would have been 0 chance for me getting the money back in any case. Also I have to say that they went quite far for scamming as to even provide NMR, mass spectroscopy and HPLC data which all were correct (I checked these with a friend who has a PhD in theoretical chemistry).

14. Gb3

Gb3 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      • Like Like x 9
      • Creative Creative x 1
    15. Tezcatlipoca
      Question it

Tezcatlipoca Member

• Like Like x 1
    16. ColinUK

ColinUK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2013 initial, worsened 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Initial Music Gig, Worsened Cinema or possible covid
      That is great news. I hope it rushes this thing to market so we can do our own trials for tinnitus.

When you search for SPI-1005, on the one hand it amazes me how many things this is being trialed for: bipolar, depression, COVID-19 etc.

On the other hand, it saddens me when it's already been reported to some extent to give tinnitus / hearing benefits, and tinnitus is something where there is no treatment... Don't get me wrong, if it works and we are able to get hold of it because it's got out there for something else, then I'm all for it, but it just highlights how tinnitus just doesn't seem to be recognized at all even though there are so many sufferers. I mean for depression there's already tonnes of drugs and options out there that work. Can't we tinnitus sufferers just have one treatment.

200.gif
      Please, sir... I want ONE option.​

• Agree Agree x 6
      • Like Like x 1
    17. spacehunter

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      I would still be very cautious as to put too much hope into SPI-1005.

What made me wonder in the last weeks is the death of Kent Taylor. SPI-1005 and HPN-07 would have been easily available for a millionaire and surely one tries everything before going into drastic measurements. Obviously if there were a 'real' cure which would eliminate tinnitus for most of us, it would probably be all around the news.

SPI-1005 is nice because it might be one of the drugs to hit the market early, but I fear that it is at most a treatment to alleviate it for some people.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    18. ASilverLight
      In pain

ASilverLight Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably noise, stress and a neck injury.
      Not everyone is in the know about medical research. It's generally only us who spend a lot of time on this forum.

That said, I think many of us would kill for alleviation and if this brings us any we'd be very happy. I know I would be.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 2
    19. Tezcatlipoca
      Question it

Tezcatlipoca Member

Sadly looks like Kent wasn't able to cope and took his life before he could do any research, I'm confident that if he knew about the pipeline he would have waited at least a bit more.

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      There is a tendency for the older generation (who didn't get internet until their late 40s) to pay for the best doctor they can find and just trust what they have to say and not second guess it. Sadly he may have been told psychological treatment was all he could expect and may not have sought out to try things like Ebselen (which is hard to get even if you can afford it).

I think especially when you are older, too, you may assume you don't have many good years left anyway.

• Agree Agree x 6
    21. HootOwl

HootOwl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explanation in About You
      I think too some people, myself included, find solace in research. It makes me feel informed, which by extension makes me feel empowered. Others - like my mom - find it more anxiety inducing.

We both have severe tinnitus but seek refuge in vastly different sources.

She even knows about the forums here but really didn’t have any desire to go to the research section until my hearing problems worsened, and even then it was mostly for my sake.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    22. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, loud rock concert
      Being rich does not make you better informed. He had had tinnitus for a few months only, perhaps he was not even aware about Tinnitus Talk.

Most likely he only put trust in what doctors told him hence he came to the conclusion there is no hope whatsoever.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Winner Winner x 1
    23. Tezcatlipoca
      Question it

Tezcatlipoca Member

@FGG made a good point about his generation's attitude to doctors. We are the odd ones out. Most people never really research about their conditions and put all trust into the most expensive doctor they can find.

24. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      This is anecdotal but as a vet, I almost never had older clients who researched the conditions of their pet on their own. I made and printed a bunch of handouts especially for them because they only wanted to get their info from the vet (or weirdly, Facebook).

With Gen X (I'm one), it seemed 50/50 would already have some ideas when they walked in the door, but Millennials often gave me the best, most relevant and detailed histories and had an idea of some of the common differentials I would likely try to rule out.

I can't imagine it's any different at the ENT's office.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    25. Tezcatlipoca
      Question it

Tezcatlipoca Member

I agree. He most likely went to the most expensive ENT he could find, he gave him the good ol' spiel which left him hopeless. And then he took his own life.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Useful Useful x 1
    26. Keith Handy
      Ape-like

Keith Handy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress + sleep deprivation + noise
      An ENT with six tuning forks instead of just two.

Mine wouldn't even make eye contact with me.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    27. Tezcatlipoca
      Question it

Tezcatlipoca Member

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    28. VeryUnfortunate
      Stressed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Question for anyone who can answer: If this were able to pass the trials for COVID-19, how hard would this be to get off-label for tinnitus/hyperacusis?

It seems that this drug is already pretty well tolerated which is good, it is just a matter of time until it can get to the market.

• Like Like x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    29. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Off label use is mostly about finding the right doctor unless it's a common off label use (e.g. antidepressants as sleep aids). It might require doctor shopping which is an inconvenience but doable.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    30. VeryUnfortunate
      Stressed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I thought it would be similar to that. Thanks for the info. It would suck for anyone who has an HMO to do something like this because they tend to be more conservative.

• Agree Agree x 1