Suicidal

Discussion in 'Support' started by jeremy06, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      I don't think we realize how powerful we really are, we have the ability to change things and undo the mess. The elite NIH funded psychologists won't get their next NIH grant if we make our voices heard. We could knock their careers out overnight.

2. Zugzug

Zugzug Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Autoimmune hyperacusis from Sjogren's Syndrome
      I don't really want research in psychology to end, I just want tinnitus and hyperacusis sufferers to finally get their real place at the table -- much in the same way that there is now a clear distinction between heart disease and anxiety/depression. No one tells a 20 year old with anxiety that they should see a cardiologist.

CBT is actually very, very good (and clinically proven) for certain disorders (I would know because I've done it). It's just an utter flop for hearing conditions.

Same with chronic pain conditions. Sure, CBT may help some for these conditions, but there's very little value in researching further. That money would be better spent trying to find a cure.

• Agree Agree x 4
    3. BuzzyBee
      Bookworm

BuzzyBee Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      @PeteJ Are you taking magnesium? Sorry if you already mentioned you were or weren't, but I had the same type of cheek joint/ear pain and over time, magnesium glycinate seemed to help. It took a while, but it went away completely after a while. Here's another thing you can try. Put a tiny dab of capsaicin cream (brand name Capzasin) behind the ear.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11203735

4. serendipity1996
      No Mood

serendipity1996 Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 - T, 2016- H, relapsed 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise-induced
      Yeah exactly. It's like we know that things like CBT can be helpful with regards to coping mechanisms but do we really need another 50+ studies linking tinnitus to poor mental health (or on psychological intervention).

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. RishRamsey
      Doubtful

RishRamsey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stupid DJ
      How? Kill ourselves on live TV blaming them?

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Zugzug

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think it's important that CBT and TRT don't get treated as the same thing. TRT's problem is that it's pseudoscience and irredeemable, aside from a soft recommendation to try it for loudness hyperacusis.

CBT's problem is that it's a valuable tool that is, in fact, so valuable that its boundaries are being pushed too far. There are studies showing it can help OCD more than medication; it's hyped up for a reason. It's all about a total misclassification of what severe hyperacusis and tinnitus really are.

It's like saying climate change measures are the solution to lupus patients who are sensitive to heat. I mean it's true that climate change is real, but it's not really in the spirit of what the lupus patient needs.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    8. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Agreed.

Jastreboff showed medical science is young and any arrogant psychologist can manipulate a medical topic as if it were a psychological one.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      upload_2020-3-23_15-30-57.png

• Like Like x 1
      • Genius Genius x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    10. Orions Pain
      Sad

Orions Pain Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Do you guys think we go to hell or are punished via crappy lives during reincarnation if we kill ourselves when we are experiencing pain/discomfort that can't be helped? I always wonder what other disorders get treated like depression when someone kills themselves. Ya know when you read about it and the family says "oh they were depressed" but in reality it was something like hyperacusis?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    11. Orions Pain
      Sad

Orions Pain Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      There is literally no point for me to be alive anymore. All my hopes and dreams have been crushed. Why am I still sticking around. I have no future.

• Hug Hug x 4
    12. Zugzug

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You're one hell of a fighter.

13. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      No, we likely don't need any more studies, at this time, showing a relationship between tinnitus and poor mental health, or psychological intervention.

In my opinion, those who continually bash CBT, are not satisfied with current state of tinnitus research, with good reason, but they utilize CBT as a scapegoat, and deny the fact that many have been helped by it (CBT). They are absolutely convinced that there is no room for psychological help, for tinnitus distress, and would rather see this approach dropped, and forgotten. To be totally honest, with what is going on at this time and for the foreseeable future, I am not holding my breath while waiting for scientific help of any kind, for tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. GlennS

GlennS Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      There is a whole suicidal mindset, things people do step by step leading up to the event, attempts to leave some sort of lasting message or legacy. It was frustrating having to live through that with my friend in high school and that was face to face. Watching it play out with anonymous posters here where there is so little opportunity to intervene is that much worse. I'm thinking maybe this forum shouldn't be quite so anonymous and have contingency plans for authorities/social-workers to intervene rather than expecting us to merely passively observe.

15. GlennS

GlennS Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I'm probably making a mistake interacting with you again, but I'll say this.

Obviously you seem motivated to proselytize your own personal brand of metaphysics. Whether I subscribe to it or not, it's clear to me that it's something that's currently keeping you going, as is you highlighting snake oil treatments. Just remember that whatever influence you feel you're making on these points, you will forfeit them the moment you leave the planet. Dropping some posts on a forum in general, however useful, doesn't make much of an impact so if this kind of stuff is really so important to you then you certainly could raise your profile. Write a book. Start a podcast. Whatever. If you have a passion in life, even if you kind of know it's a coping mechanism, use it to its full advantage.

16. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anonymous online forums are in a terrible position to try to deal with such situations, having been in the position of admining a health forum that's significantly larger than this one, and dealing with a generally even more error-prone population.

I'm happy to explain how I worked through my own suicidal ideation and why I'm still here to anyone who asks or wants to listen, but ultimately these are personal decisions and arguing with brick walls is silly.

I have also lost people to suicide; I don't think my post is callous, just realistic. This is not the correct venue for stopping people from taking dramatic actions in meatspace, but, of course, as we see from this thread -- in general people want to explore these concepts in text, much more than carry them out. I think this has more to do with control than trying to elicit sympathy; if we constantly remind ourselves we can kill ourselves any time we want, then we're also asserting that ultimately we have control over tinnitus / whatever health condition.

I find that simply letting go leads to happier places, even if it's immediately harder to to. "The end of all wanting, is all I've been wanting".

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. MichaelSF

MichaelSF Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress, Anxiety,
      Off-topic but I love your user name, was a WoW addict once upon a time!

• Agree Agree x 2
    18. MrCrybaby

MrCrybaby Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2014, 10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      School Band, Noxious Car Radio
      I think bad things happen to people, and good things do too. It’s just the way it is. Invisible illness offers a unique predicament because you look fine so people don’t expect it, they can’t visually tell how hard it is as with a missing limb for example.

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      A little known fact, about suicide, is that Africans have always had historically very low rates of suicide, and those who were enslaved in America had surprising low rates of it, as well - lower than the free white population. After emancipation, the suicide rate of African Americans remained about same as when slavery existed. The reason for this phenomenon, was that they found outlets that helped them cope, such as spiritualism, and other interests. I'm not much of an advocate for religion, but experience has shown me that keeping busy and doing things you enjoy can change a person's mind, when faced with bad situations.

20. Sevv

Sevv Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Man, my mood swings are crazy. During the day I'm doing good mostly, but in the morning or evening I sometimes just want to blow my head off (not that I have weapon lying around, so no risk there).

21. Zugzug

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think the problem is the lack of honesty of its shortcomings; it feels like there is an enabling of victim-blaming. If I met with a team of researchers, shared my story, and saw that they truly understood my problem, and recommended CBT in the mean time to see if it could help take some of the edge off, I would have a better mindset about it.

Instead, it's acceptance and telling you to trust your doctors and the medical community. My ENT recommended psychiatry to me without even being remotely interested in my story. He didn't even entertain the thought of hidden hearing damage. Nope, sent me to psychiatry.

By then engaging in psychiatry, I am then enabling the arrogant ENT who will never advocate for me. It's a tough spot to be in.

As a general remark, I think when it comes to mental health, we are over compensating for the fact that we used to be totally ignorant of it. We get it. Anxiety and depression are very real neurological problems that can cause physical problems. But not everything that us currently unknown must fit that area.

• Winner Winner x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    22. Zugzug

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That is a mouthful of pseudo neuroscience. Why do different races and sexes have different suicide rates? I wouldn't even begin to touch this question without a hell of a lot of expertise.

• Agree Agree x 3
    23. Capstan

Capstan Guest

I feel this way too, Rish. I have a young family too. I have no idea how to survive this torture so they are not crushed.

• Hug Hug x 1
    24. Capstan

Capstan Guest

Hey HootOwl

I know what you are talking about with distortion. I have it with high frequencies. I think the distortion is where we have lost hearing at specific Hz and our tinnitus comes through instead. It's very unnerving. My Dr called it clipping. I get a lot of that glassy sound with white noise too as a result. I am struggling with the thought of living like this for the rest of my life. I also have reactive tinnitus too. You're not the only one suffering these conditions even though it feels that way. I wish there was something to be optimistic about but it's hard seeing it. I don't see how there's a future where FX-322 solves all these problems. I'm left with a very empty feeling and not knowing what to do.

• Hug Hug x 6
    25. acute
      Depressed

acute Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      Someone can kill me, please? Just right now.

• Hug Hug x 8
    26. pinklights98
      No Mood

pinklights98 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise Exposure
      Hey, I have the exact same frequency distortion as you, especially around 1.5 kHz. It sucks. Stress makes mine way worse.

I also have multiple tones, but my pure tone 1500 bugs me the most. It is also only in one ear (in my case my right).

27. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Same here.

So damn loud. I want to know why it worsened for me and why the fluctuation is practically gone. What happened to cause that?

Is there any kind of scan or test to determine/measure tinnitus? I want to off myself but I wish my tinnitus and tinnitus volume level could be measured and tested. Even if it could be used by researchers.

28. Stu1983
      Studious

Stu1983 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Around 2008/spiked 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2008 sound/2018 Meds made the volume several times worse
      Hi @PeteJ,

I'm sorry you're going through a tough time. I'm from nearby Toronto. If I was to send you CBD oil and Curcumin free of charge. Would you try it?

Love and respect,
      Stu

• Like x 1
      • Agree x 1
      • Hug x 1
      • Winner x 1
      • Friendly x 1
    29. Zugzug

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I just want to second that I do believe those two can help. All of my upswings occur when I up my dosage of curcumin and regularly take CBD. Is this a scientific proof? No. But it surprised me.

30. Capstan

Capstan Guest

You described my tinnitus sound. I also have a squeaky wheel sound under it that shifts ear to ear. Broke down and took a benzo last night. I was trying to stop those.

• Hug Hug x 2