Suicidal

Discussion in 'Support' started by jeremy06, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Chinmoku

Chinmoku Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Started with a cold, possibly worsened by medication/noise
      @Lane, interesting what you say on the mind. ACT maintains that getting rid of external unwanted things works well with the problem solving mind, it is a great tool that evolved greatly and allowed us to prosper as humans. However, when the mind tries to apply problem solving to our internal pain the solution is the problem. You cannot problem-solve and try to get rid of painful internal experiences like depression or anxiety without often reinforcing them. If you try not to think about the proverbial yellow elephant you will. The way to handle internal experiences is counterintuitive to the mind. Observing thoughts with awareness without identifying with them, cognitive defusion and acceptance/willingness are things that minds hate but that can move us forward. It's like quicksand: if you fall into quicksand the best thing is to spread arms and legs and maximize contact with the sand to slow down your fall, while someone gets there to help. This is counterintuitive as you'd rather try to run away from the sand, which would make you fall into it quicker. This is the theory, putting it into practice is not easy.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    2. Star64
      Kick ass

Star64 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I will always support you Allan, you're a very loving person, I am hoping for better days for all of us. I am also glad you are getting support from your eldest daughter, I know you are in good hands xx

• Like Like x 2
    3. Star64
      Kick ass

Star64 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Thanks again fishbone, you're a kind soul. I know I will get through this with the help of yourself and many other wonderful supportive people that have reached out to me on this site. I remember reading your message you sent me in my early days, when I was at my worst, and your story brought me to tears, you are a true warrior, yet you focused on the positive in your story me telling me I will get through this, I read your story over and over because it gave me hope.

I will definitely pay it forward, I will always support others like you do, I have a long way to go and as you know some days are still hell for me but I have already ready started reaching out to offer support to others when I can.

Thanks again for everything:huganimation:

• Like Like x 1
    4. Star64
      Kick ass

Star64 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I have seen much success with ACT therapy when I worked along side a psychologist in an out patient therapy setting for drug and alcohol clients... I now have been using this tool for my current situation, along with many other natural therapies. I was also told by a friend to read the book full catastrophe living, I have not yet ordered the book but it has excellent reviews...

• Like Like x 2
    5. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      Thank god for your daughter.

My son Noah and my middle one Gabriel are so tender and loving. They have saved me. I can't promise, it would be disingenuous and the tinnitus forum would come to cut off my balls. But my feeling, my gut says, we will have better days Allan. Wishing you one better day at a time.

• Like Like x 5
      • Funny Funny x 1
    6. Chinmoku

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes full catastrophe living is great, I bought the CD with the meditations. I do the body scan daily.
      It's great that you have been using ACT with success. It is a great therapy that turns conventional psychotherapy on its head. For ACT you are probably familiar with "Get out of your mind and into your life" by Stephen Hayes, the founder. In Autralia you also have a great ACT psychologist and medical doctor, Russ Harris. I'm sure you are familiar with his work and probably met him.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Allan1967

Allan1967 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I got it the other day. It's about 5 inches thick.

• Like Like x 1
    8. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      I think that is totally correct. Except I believe sometimes the trauma damages the nerves which cause them to become hyperactive and it's not simply a lack of input.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Informative Informative x 1
    9. David S

David S Member Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      I know the dentist drill. I can hear it loud and clear!

Allan, every time my tinnitus got worse, witch happened a few times, it also got super reactive. Sound therapies like white noise is out of the question. My tinnitus will only fight back. This typically fades within 9-18 month. Yes, I know it´s a long time. I am planing to try Lenire as well because I understand that others with reactive tinnitus got good results but it is not an option until my nerves settles down. If Lenire does not work for you now it does not mean that it might not work later. If you had a trauma recently I think it could be good to wait a few months and then try again.

Did you ever try benzo? Can you enjoy a good family dinner with a beer or a glass of wine?

10. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      @JohnAdams -- You could very well be correct. I tend to think more in terms of the nerves becoming shocked. It seems so much of life is figuring out the best ways to recover from various kinds of shock, from minor to major. Everybody has to find the right combination of physical, emotional, psychological, and spiritual tools that will best help them, but which will be different with everybody. Not an easy journey, but often one that gives us important insights about ourselves and what our true values are--or should be.

• Like Like x 2
    11. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well, they have shown that there are physiological changes to the DCN in tinnitus models. One thing I saw was BDNF levels and I think it is because the damage causes disregulation. The idea that it is purely a loss of input cannot be true, at least in all cases.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hey man, can I trouble you to try a supplement called DHEA?

13. Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Can I ask why?

• Like Like x 1
    14. Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      9 to 18 months to get back to baseline or get rid of reactive tinnitus? Or both?

I'm sure my reactivity got worse with Lenire, but I put that down to the music. There are other music options to choose from, so I would ask and choose carefully.

I have been advised to stop the treatment. I'm not too sure now if Lenire caused my current spike situation. I think my alarm exposure, although brief, has been the spark and Lenire threw some petrol on the fire BUT... that petrol could have been anything... another exposure, a loud pub etc etc.

I'm sick that I, as always, have to learn the hard way.

Life is full of 'if only'. If only my youngest daughter didn't stomp around the house and knocked the alarm sensor off the door. Etc etc

Then again, if I'd listened to my higher self and ran like Hell from the hospital one day 22 years ago, I wouldn't have suffered a life of invisible torture.

• Hug Hug x 1
    15. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Because I think it might help your tinnitus loudness. I'm 3 days in and I think I may be on to something significant.

• Like Like x 3
    16. Chinmoku

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, the updated edition is a compendium of decades of experience. But you may also find the guided meditations on YouTube. I hope it helps you

• Like Like x 1
    17. Chinmoku

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Tell us more, John. What would be the mechanism of action? Would it work for all types of tinnitus?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    18. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Don't know man. It acts on NMDA and GABA receptors, increases nerve growth factor and BDNF levels, things of which are implicated in tinnitus. I'm not saying it's a sure thing at all I'm not even sure if it's helping me or not but it seems to be, a lot, and I'm trying not to get too excited. I can't find any literature whatsoever about it helping with tinnitus, but it looks like it helps with other stuff. I think it is certainly worth trying for all of us.

• Informative Informative x 2
    19. Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Link to the product you're using????

• Like Like x 2
    20. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      • Like Like x 1
    21. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hey @Allan1967 -- I discovered the article below when I did a search on DHEA and tinnitus. It focuses on all kinds of brain calming supplements, mentioning how DHEA can somewhat paradoxically be helpful. I thought the information on the major brain neurotransmitters was good, including why most prescription medications that affect neurotransmitter levels end up eventually not working anymore.

Brain Calming Supplements for Tinnitus

I've researched DHEA in the past, and somehow came to believe it was not easy to find just the right dose. I eventually discovered that for the most part, pregnenolone might be more suitable, as it's a precursor to DHEA and a number of other hormones. If the body doesn't need extra of these hormones, it simply won't produce it from the pregnenolone that's available. It's purported to be helpful for calming, deeper sleep, depression alleviation, anxiety reduction, and more... Here's a link to a pregnenolone article I thought was pretty good:

Pregnenolone—The Basics

BTW, I currently take 12.5 mg DHEA and 50 mg. of pregnenolone daily (first thing in the morning). @JohnAdams, I'm curious how much you're taking, and where you got the idea that supplementing might help with tinnitus. -- Thanks!

• Like Like x 4
    22. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just the recommended dose. I found out that it increases NGF and BDNF and acts on NMDA and GABA receptors so I was all over it.

23. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      There's a lot of different dose sizes. I'm curious which one you chose. -- Thanks.

Here's a fairly comprehensive article I bookmarked several years ago. I think this is part of what influenced me in somewhat favoring pregnenolone over DHEA, though I supplement with both.

Progesterone Pregnenolone & DHEA - Three Youth-Associated Hormones

• Like Like x 1
    24. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      10mg

• Like Like x 1
    25. David S

David S Member Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      I think both but I hardly know my baseline anymore...

• Hug Hug x 1
    26. Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Just started again. Nothing noticeable yet.

So are you saying DHEA has helped your tinnitus?

27. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah I think so. I've had virtually no tinnitus or hyperacusis for the last 2 days and I've been on DHEA for 3 days. Usually, like clockwork, my tinnitus flares up around 1 PM for a few hours everyday and it hasn't for the last 2 days which coincides with me starting the DHEA.

• Like Like x 3
      • Winner Winner x 3
    28. Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Sold.

I'll probably grow a set of boobs, knowing my luck.

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    29. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      We've known that for a very long time already. Example: the fluid dynamic model of otosclerosis and its corresponding tinnitus.

30. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      WIN!

Will this work for noise induced tinnitus and hyperacusis?

• Good Question Good Question x 2