Suicidal

Discussion in 'Support' started by jeremy06, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Could you post links to this, or articles, if you have them? Thanks a lot Greg!

2. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Mine is noise/NSAID induced so maybe.

• Like Like x 1
    3. all to gain
      No Mood

all to gain Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Is that of DHEA? All the brands on the link you posted are for 25-100mg. Is that way too much then?

What's you supplementation routine?

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Here's one: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4491943/

It's a different one from the article I had found a couple of years ago. I can't seem to find that one now.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Allan1967

Allan1967 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I don't know what the hell is happening to me.

Last night my tinnitus and its reactivity were getting progressively worse. I took a Mirtazapine tablet but woke up at 1.30am. The tinnitus was like nothing I have experienced before both ears emitting high frequency at full power.

My tinnitus is changing by the day. I am terrified that what I experienced last night at 130 is coming back again as I took a Zopiclone to put me back up sleep and damp it. Now I'm waiting for the Zopiclone to wear off.

I have never experienced tinnitus of such severity and getting progressively worse in such a short period of time (2 weeks) like I am now.

• Hug Hug x 2
    6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    7. Star64
      Kick ass

Star64 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I am not sure of its use in tinnitus but this information may be useful.

Your body naturally produces the hormone dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) in the adrenal gland. In turn, DHEA helps produce other hormones, including testosterone and estrogen. Natural DHEA levels peak in early adulthood and then slowly fall as you age.A synthetic version of DHEA is available for oral use, as a tablet, and a topical cream.Often touted as an anti-aging therapy, DHEA is also claimed to ward off chronic illness and improve physical performance.

Strangely enough when my tinnitus started to get uncontrollable after a ten year period of silence/habituation I was going through the throws of menopause, and my estrogen levels were low, I was placed on a natural estrogen to help with hormonal imbalance issues, and I noticed this helped my tinnitus go back to its baseline. Unfortunately for other reasons I could not stay on the estrogen and my tinnitus came back with vengeance. When I told an ENT surgeon about my tinnitus improving with estrogen he was not surprised as he said it acts on GABA receptors.

I have been warned not to take any supplement that acts on the GABA system, but that is understandable in my situation I have bloody down regulated the shit out of mine due to past Clonazepam use. The Ashton manual even advises against the drinking of chamomile tea as apparently that acts on GABA receptors. I was drinking this before bed to help with sleep before I read this :(

• Informative Informative x 3
    8. Star64
      Kick ass

Star64 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Virtually all levels of mental and physical health are linked to good levels of BDNF in the brain. So pull out that treadmill, sip a turmeric latte, skip that second serve at dinner and get out into the sunshine. A consistent approach to some of the above tips, and you’ll be remembering where your keys are in no time.

John I know you already know this and I am trying the curcumin with some benefit I believe so far, but here is a link from an Australian spinal research website that I got this information from if anybody is interested
      https://spinalresearch.com.au/6-ways-increase-bdnf/

I am also doing intermittent water fasting now, alternative days, hopefully I can work up to a longer period with this.

• Informative Informative x 3
      • Useful Useful x 1
    9. Star64
      Kick ass

Star64 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I am very familiar with his work, I have never actually met him but I was meant to go one of his workshops and just never got around to it, my past employer was going to pay for it but it was at a time I was going on holiday. He has a few scheduled for early next year, hopefully I will be able to book into attending one of those, he has a website
      https://www.actmindfully.com.au/about-act/

• Like Like x 1
    10. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
    11. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have no idea how much of this is too much.

Morning: ororate.
      While making dinner: a couple shots of vodka.
      Dinner: curcumin, DHEA.

12. Chinmoku

Chinmoku Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Started with a cold, possibly worsened by medication/noise
      Thanks, Star, this is very helpful. Re: Gaba, I had thought that when tapering a gaba drug one would have a glutamate surge and therefore gaba precursors and gaba modulators might have helped. Not direct gaba supplements, but supplements like L-theanine or Taurine? Similarly, it might be safer taking a Dhea precursor, pregnenolone, rather than Dhea directly.

• Like Like x 1
    13. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Safer? What's the risk?

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      In general, if one gets addicted to benzos be careful of pills/supplements that are centered around the GABA. Also, do know that if a supplement, is taken for a long time, then it can lose it's effectiveness.

• Like Like x 2
    15. Chinmoku

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      DaveFromChicago developed 3 cysts on the neck way back, see the other thread

• Informative Informative x 2
    16. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      What thread?

17. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      You already commented in the thread, and I did too, so shouldn't you know or are you being a little slow tonight?

Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA)

DaveFromChicago said:

18. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      lol, whoops.

• Funny Funny x 1
    19. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      I want to say this: I am all for, finding something that can help us out. All of us are different, what may work for one person may not work for others. Do your research, before taking anything supplements.

• Agree Agree x 2
    20. Chinmoku

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The one on DHEA you started in the alternative treatment subforum. The cysts were 5, not 3, my bad.

• Like Like x 1
    21. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      totally agree, there are obviously many causes of tinnitus. thank you mammal ear, for being so friggen complicated.

• Like Like x 1
    22. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      A Coles Notes summary or explanation for any of this, please?

We produce melatonin in our bodies but many of us take it as a supplement.

I am desperate though and willing to try things. What good is it that our bodies produce this stuff if tinnitus can interfere with the benefits?

• Hug Hug x 1
    23. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Are you talking about DHEA? If so, it seems to have the potential to help tinnitus sufferers, but as is true for all medicines, it could have side effects.

24. Allan1967

Allan1967 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      My tinnitus has gone catastrophic again after a quiet day yesterday.

I need some urgent help.

• Hug Hug x 2
    25. Barry O'Connell
      Gloomy

Barry O'Connell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello, it's been about 4 months since I developed tinnitus & the lack of sleep & almost constant anxiety is really starting to get to me. I have been taking Zopliclone to help me sleep, it knocks me out but I wake up in fear every morning about 5 o'clock & lie there thinking about suicide. I've been taking sertraline for the anxiety but it's not helping.

I live alone, don't work & have very few friends & with winter coming I really don't think I can do this much longer. My days are so long, I can't enjoy the thing is used to & feel hopeless. I cry every day, sometimes in public & I'm a 55 year old man.

• Hug Hug x 5
    26. AfroSnowman
      Balanced

AfroSnowman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nonnatural energy source
      Barry,

So many of us recognize how impossibly hard this is. I have a robust social support system and even so there are so many days when it seems too hard to bare. Apart from sending you a virtual hug and letting you know that you are not alone, but part of a community that is supporting each other through this let me throw you a few lifelines/suggestions.
      1) See someone. You are in an acute traumatic emotional state, we know an ENT or doctor can't help with the tinnitus, but see a psychiatrist who can help with the emotional pain. Please. Suicide hotline # is 1-800-273-8255.

1a) I don't know much about the various drugs that help us get through it, but maybe Xanax or something else would be a greater help in getting you to weather the storm than what you are currently taking, see #1 to get on something else.

2) When it is too hard remember, you just have to make it through this moment, this minute, this hour, this day. Don't dwell on your loss or your future, just survive the moment and goto #1.

3) Have faith, for most everyone even if it doesn't get 'better' it gets more bearable. Have faith that it will get more bearable.

4) I have been told numerous times that for most people the symptoms to subside somewhat over time. Have faith.

5) Treatments are on the horizon, maybe are already here. Sign up for the Neuromod waiting list. At least stick around long enough to see if it will help.

Again brother my heart goes out to you. I know how hard this is, but please see someone. To do this in isolation, you are asking too much of yourself. Have faith.

Peace and love

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    27. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Have you experienced any fading?

Have you tried limiting your exposure to the moderate noises like that of a vacuum cleaner or a hair dryer?

28. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Right, at only four months this thing still might get much quieter or even go away altogether.

I think being isolated and unemployed going to make anyone feel worse about this thing. Do you have other health conditions that stop you from working as well?

29. Barry O'Connell
      Gloomy

Barry O'Connell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you both. I saw my doctor this morning & she's given me something that should help. I was in floods of tears when I saw her & she was very sympathetic. I'm in England so the trade names are probably different. I'm seeing a counselor in a few days with a view to CBT therapy so I'm starting to get things in place.
      The noise changes all the time. Mostly it's fairly quiet until early evening but today it started early. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to it whatever I listen to. It's the random nature of it that's one of the harder things to deal with.
      I've met a couple of people who've habituated to it so I know its possible.

30. AfroSnowman
      Balanced

AfroSnowman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nonnatural energy source
      Again I'm with you brother. Mine is generally very intrusive, fluctuating, and hard to bear a lot of the time. I'm glad you saw someone. Please be careful dealing with this while in isolation...SMH. It would be hard. Continue to reach out here and to your medical folk when you need to.

I, like you, am not terribly young and I've done some very very hard things and have had my fair share of challenges along the way, but this has tested my mind like nothing else has. There is no shame in reaching out for help when this is too much, because it is often too much.

Take care