Vitamin Supplement (Nicotinamide Riboside) Successfully Prevents Noise-Induced Hearing Loss

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by exodus, Dec 2, 2014.

1. vttbx

vttbx Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      After a recent spike, I tried to double my NR to the recommended dosage of 150mg twice a day. My T became worse and has been better since I stopped. This was very similar to my experience with niacin which would always give me a spike after extended usage. I'm staying with NMN for now.

• Like Like x 1
      • Genius Genius x 1
    2. eroteme

eroteme Guest

Personally, I'm extremely cautious when it comes to supplements that aren't being sold by reputable and well regulated suppliers.

In the case of NR I couldn't find any well known chemists or health stores that were selling it in the UK, so I contacted the two largest brands of both the former and the latter (in my opinion); Boots and Holland&Barrett. These were their responses:

So that was pretty unhelpful...

But the response from Holland&Barrett was more interesting:

So, my understanding of nutrition and/or biochemistry is as close as you can get to non-existent, but I thought this may be of some use to those of you who have done the research.

Take what you like and leave the rest.

• Informative Informative x 1
    3. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      I won’t think twice about taking it if I am exposed to noise that I feel is potentially dangerous as this stuff has research to back it up. But I also wouldn’t be taking it everyday or at high doses.

It is the same case with many “normal” supplements, that if you take too much of one thing it can cause others to be depleted. Plenty of the supps these outlets sell can do this. Eating too much of one food can do it too for that matter.

Pharmacies do need to weigh up pros and cons of what they sell. But they also sell things like valerian root which have been known to cause organ failure if taken too much/often.

I would be more concerned about making sure I buy the highest quality supplements. There’s a lot of junk brands out there, full of impurities and toxic stuff and are sold by these big name pharmacies. The supplements industry being unregulated is a big problem.

• Agree Agree x 2
    4. alex1975

alex1975 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound induced
      Alright everyone, just Amazoned Tru Niagen NR and NOW Supplements Resveratrol 200.
      Getting them on Sunday, I shall keep you all posted with results...

• Like Like x 1
    5. Heinrich_S7
      Psychedelic

Heinrich_S7 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Uncertain
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise exposure
      Update,

Yeah, NR/NAD+ eliminating my tinnitus is definitely not placebo. I went off it for the month of September and up to yesterday October 15th. My tinnitus in my left ear came back slightly a couple days ago. But it’s nowhere even close to how horrible it was last year.

I went back on NR today, an hour after I took the dose, I got TOTAL silence again. And I still have silence.

I think NR can cure certain types of tinnitus. I’m not sure if the reason mine slightly came back after almost two months off the supplement was just because I was only on it for six months. I believe my tinnitus is related to my neck with a little NIHL to boot.

I’ve decided I’m going to permanently stay on NAD+ supplements alongside Lion’s Mane. I more or less considered myself cured at this point (as long as I stay on the supplement).

Perhaps if I let NR, Cannabis and Lions Mane repair my hearing/nerves for a couple years I can come off the NR without the tinnitus ever returning. But at this point I might just stay on it for its age reversal effects in general.

Anyway, it looks like I won’t need a bimodal device at this point. I’ll probably just wait for FX-322.

• Like Like x 6
      • Hug Hug x 1
    6. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      Happy days... enjoy it.

• Like Like x 1
    7. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      This might me helping me, too. I have been taken NAD+ for about 5 months now (I'm have also been taking Winter Savory for the past few weeks but i have been much less consistent about taking it).

Currently, my tinnitus is about half of what it was and, last night, the "tonal" sound was the same loudness as the "cicadas" sound. Usually, it's the much louder and more bothersome of the two sounds.

My hearing is slightly better in noise but otherwise no different that i can tell. I don't think I have much, if any, hyperacusis left but that was very slowly fading on its own since March, anyway.

Music sounds the same (unlistenable), unfortunately, and i still need subtitles for TV when there is any background music but I think I'm catching a few more words here and there (if there is a difference it is slight).

I have had tinnitus for close to a year now so who is to say if I'm just acclimating or if finally having complete no contact with my abusive ex is helping but it does feel like NAD is doing something. Wish it would help my hearing more...

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. vttbx

vttbx Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      What's your dosage of NR? Do you always stack it with Lion's Mane?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    9. shasta0863

shasta0863 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      What brand are you guys buying?

10. Heinrich_S7
      Psychedelic

Heinrich_S7 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Uncertain
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise exposure
      250mg.

I've only been on Lion's Mane for about 2 months. About the time I quit NR, but nowadays I take them both. I'm just throwing the Lion's Mane in there for CNS repair.

• Like Like x 2
    11. Lucifer

Lucifer Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      What brand and dosage are you taking for NR and NAD?

12. Heinrich_S7
      Psychedelic

Heinrich_S7 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Uncertain
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise exposure
      TruNiagen 250mg. I get the six month package for a discount, don't buy from Amazon.

It's not gonna heal your hearing in one month, it takes a long time. So don't think one bottle is gonna change anything. Mine only went away so quickly because I was already on it for a long cycle already. It just came back a very little bit 2-3 days ago after being off it for 7 or so weeks, and it shut it down again.

It's amazing that the scientific community found something that protects/regenerates hearing and yet Big Pharma never picked it up as a prescribed therapy. Goes to show how little the medical community cares about tinnitus.

• Like Like x 5
      • Funny Funny x 1
    13. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      I take the same product and dose. It's so expensive. Thanks for the tip. It's much cheaper off Amazon. I had no idea.

• Like Like x 1
    14. alex1975

alex1975 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound induced
      Did you get any acid reflux from it? Unfortunately I get that pretty easily with most supplements...

15. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      I know a pharmacist PhD clinical who has tinnitus from going to many concerts. He takes TruNiagen 300mg. Half in the morning and half in late afternoon. He also takes NAC. A little Turmeric Curcumin, one half of a vitamin C daily and Magnesium Glycinate 400 - always one hour before going anywhere where there may be noise. He takes a half tablet of Mag Glycinate 400 during the day and a half again before going to bed to help sleep.

Mag is good for muscle release, but if not enough is taken, muscles may start to ache - asking for more. Mag taken without a break after several weeks use can loosen muscles too much placing pressure onto bones. He uses other meds so there's a two hour window between med intake and vitamin use. He feels that NAC taken with food is what really helps his T level. Mag is needed to support auditory threshold. He doesn't take calcium because of digestion issues. Calcium is needed with mag, so he eats a fair amount of foods that has calcium. For all other vitamins needs, such as D3 - he get them from foods. He gets his blood tested every six months.

• Informative Informative x 2
    16. friend74
      Doubtful

friend74 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Could it be possible, that this stuff is US only? Can't find anything like this in Germany. :(

So you take the TruNiagen. Some other stuff also?

17. razo

razo Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Audio exposure
    18. Heinrich_S7
      Psychedelic

Heinrich_S7 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Uncertain
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise exposure
      I'm in Canada, perhaps you could go through another retailer? It's cheapest to buy it directly from TruNiagen in the long run, compared to retail like Amazon. Amazon is cheaper if you buy a single bottle, but if you plan on using it for an extended period you're better off buying in bulk like most products.

I actually had surgery to fix my chronic GERD back in March (was born with it), so I can't really answer this question honestly, I have a magnetic implant around my lower esophageal sphincter (LINX) to prevent reflux. But no, no reflux (again though, I can't really have reflux anymore). But when I did have GERD, every little thing, even water, came back up. But that was before I was even on NAD+.

• Like Like x 2
    19. vttbx

vttbx Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      What's his reason for taking NAC with food? I've always thought amino acids in general need to be taken on an empty stomach. I take my NAC first thing in the morning prior to breakfast.

20. vttbx

vttbx Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
    21. Ruse
      No Mood

Ruse Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL & TMJ
      Tru Niagen for 6 months here.

No change what so ever so I will be discontinuing as it’s fairly expensive.

Haven’t had any noticeable change from a supplement and not convinced I ever will.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    22. razo

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Audio exposure
      Can you explain that some more?

"Niacinamide (Vitamin B-3) is a form of Niacin, a water soluble B-Vitamin. It is a derivative of Niacin that does not cause the "flush" normally associated with taking high doses of Niacin. Niacinamide is readily converted into the bioactive forms of Niacin, NAD+, NADH, NADP, and NADPH, which are vital cofactors in cellular energy production and are critical for the maintenance of DNA stability."

vs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotinamide_riboside

23. razo

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Audio exposure
      What I meant to ask, is NR so much better than NAD+?

24. Artemis2K
      Kick ass

Artemis2K Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I had tinnitus for as long as I can remember. Got bad later.
      Isn't this stuff a huge cancer risk? I'd be all for it if it wasn't, but I don't want to make that much of a risk.

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    25. Heinrich_S7
      Psychedelic

Heinrich_S7 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Uncertain
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise exposure
      Feeds Cancer =/= Causes Cancer. Different things.

Telomeres therapy is showing the same outcome, they used to say it helped cancer grow (which is true) but only if you already *have* cancer.

If you feed it to the trillions of healthy cells you have 99.99% of your body, it seems to prevent cancer in the future.

It's safe as long as you don't have cancer already, and it should make it so your cells don't mutate or degrade to begin with.

NAD+ is produced when NADH is oxidized in complex I of the electron transport chain. This is a basic part of the aerobic respiration that your entire body depends on. If you stop producing NAD+ you die. Saying that cancer cells depend on this reflects the fact that cancer cells are derived from cells, and all cells depend on NAD+ production.

26. Artemis2K
      Kick ass

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Holy crap. That sounds awesome. What are the best supplements to take for this?

27. Heinrich_S7
      Psychedelic

Heinrich_S7 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Uncertain
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise exposure
      Either ChromaDex or TruNiagen are both reliable brands. You *can* use NMN for the same effect but it's newer and more expensive, Nicotinamide Riboside is the same thing, just a precursor to NMN which is a precursor to NAD+.

• Agree Agree x 2
    28. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
    29. Artemis2K
      Kick ass

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have no idea what any of this means and will need to do more research lol.

• Funny Funny x 1
    30. vttbx

vttbx Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Good info in this podcast at around 31:00.

https://player.fm/series/take-contr...-dr-david-sinclair-on-extending-your-lifespan

• Like Like x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1