Will You Get Vaccinated for Coronavirus (COVID-19)? Can It Make Tinnitus or Hyperacusis Worse?

Discussion in 'Support' started by TheDanishGirl, Nov 13, 2020.

?

Will you get vaccinated for coronavirus?

1. Yes, right away, as soon as possible, when the first vaccine becomes available

2. Yes, planning to, but I will wait a while to see if there are any potential long-term side effects

3. Maybe, I haven't decided yet one way or another

4. No, I'm not going to get vaccinated

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. LilSass
      Loved

LilSass Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely ototoxic medication
      Hi everyone! I have had tinnitus since November 2019 - it is variable and changes volume from day to day. It resets when I sleep and ranges from unnoticeable to heard above most things like TV, etc (running water and being outside mask it well on the loud days). It's measured at 1 kHz @ 25 dB and is a single tone (kinda sounds like static). Nothing has spiked it so far, it just follows the same pattern - quiet one day, louder the next, etc. I am very confident it was caused by Cambia (Diclofenac, NSAID) that I was given as acute migraine medicine; I only used it a handful of times and never had any ear/hearing issues previous. I don't have hyperacusis or ear pain.

I had COVID-19 mid-February 2021 and mild-moderate symptoms for about a week, fading over the following week (fatigue, achiness, headache), the worst being it caused a 5 day migraine which I was able to treat with Almotriptan acute migraine med, but it just wouldn't resolve so I ended up going to the emergency room hospital and was given an IV of Toradol (Ketolorac, NSAID). I've also had Marcaine (Bupivacaine) injected into my back for migraines (trigger point). I've also taken Amoxicillin for a dental procedure. Nothing has affected the tinnitus.

I know that there is no guarantee, but I see that so many people have done a lot of research (including myself) and I was hoping to get you opinions on whether I should receive the Pfizer vaccine. I am being pressured by my employer, family and friends, and now Ontario Canada has made it mandatory to have both shots and use a vaccine passport in order to attend restaurants, etc. I don't actually go out too often anyway, but it would be nice to have the option. I wanted to wait for the Novavax but it's not due til at least mid 2022. My husband went ahead and got the first Pfizer shot and is fine so far (less than one week). I am just at a loss at what to do. I have accepted the t and am dealing better with chronic pain/migraines and I am just so worried that I won't be able to handle it if it gets worse.

Any advice you can offer would be helpful!

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Sayeed

Sayeed Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/1/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unsure
      For me it came down to this.

% risk of increasing tinnitus from the vaccine vs % risk of increasing tinnitus from the virus. It was truly a decision based purely on numbers.

I got Pfizer.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. aura

aura Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello!

It's hard to say. Things are not always black or white, but somewhere in between.

Having had COVID-19 in February should still offer you some protection against the disease.

I've had the Pfizer vaccine done around that time so I think we're somehow in the same boat. :)

My experience with the vaccine was good. I only had a sore arm and it helped me a lot knowing that, at least for a period of time, I was protected.

Me and my husband are doctors and we are at a higher risk for contracting the disease.

I have a lot of friends and closed relatives and they haven't had any kind of problems after having the vaccine (just local pain, flu like symptoms, etc).

All my problems started just 2 or 3 days before taking the first shot. I remember being very tired and sick because of the migraines and the sleepless nights in the morning I had the vaccine. Can you imagine if this happened with a delay of 3 or 4 days, I would have thought that these are side effects...

Anyway, here I am, 8 months later, and having to face the disease again, this time with this nasty Delta variant.

Things are not going so well here, in Romania. The cases skyrocketed and I think we will be soon running out of ICU beds.

The not so good part is that you can still get sick, even if you are vaccinated. The good part is that the vaccine still offers good protection against severe disease. I have around 5-6 colleagues/friends working in COVID-19 hospitals that confirmed me that the ones that are dying are the unvaccinated ones... :(

So knowing that after a period of 8 months I am still protected against the severe form of the disease is reassuring, but to be honest I would have rather preferred not getting the disease AT ALL. I'm afraid of the effect it would have on my tinnitus and migraines.

I react very nasty even to a common cold... everyone around me gets better in 3-4 days and I am struggling with sinusitis and antibiotics for 2 weeks.

So considering this and the fact that my experience with the vaccine was a positive one, I will probably have the third shot when it's available.

I understand your fear about your tinnitus getting worse after the vaccine.

I am thinking about that too, but then again, my tinnitus spikes after a lot of things or with not reason at all so it seems to me that I am stuck with these spikes no matter what.

To answer to your questions, I don't know if you need two doses, considering the fact that you've already had the disease. But if it's mandatory in your country, there's not much to be done if you want to have a social life.

I will be honest with you. I can't tell you 100% that you won't have any nasty side effects after the vaccine. Whoever is telling you that is lying. BUT the chances of something really bad happening are close to 0. It's all about weighing risks and benefits.

And what I can tell you, as a vaccinated person and as a doctor is that I don't know any one (friends, relatives, patients) having serious side effects after the vaccine.

Good luck and keep us updated!

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. Sayeed

Sayeed Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/1/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unsure
      (Sorry for getting off topic here).

Hi @aura, quick question - you mentioned taking antibiotics. Which did you take and did it have any effect on your tinnitus?

5. aura

aura Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Are you having sinusitis too?

I don't recommend any kind of antibiotics unless you know for sure that you have a bacterial infection.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. Sayeed

Sayeed Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/1/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unsure
      I don't have sinusitis. I suffer from anxiety and one of the side effects of that is to try to prepare for every eventuality. Kind of like dooms day preparation. New on my list is antibiotics. I have been doing a lot of research on here to be prepared just in case I will ever need to take an antibiotic. From what I see Penicillin is clear choice for tinnitus sufferers.

Just wanted your input on what you have taken in the past and if it's affected your tinnitus.

Thanks in advance.

7. Forever hopeful
      Disappointed

Forever hopeful Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015 resolved, 4/20 L ear, increase 2/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2015,noise,2020-21 SNHL
      I have been reading several posts on this thread. One thing is for sure - people are very passionate about their respective positions. I am friends with 3 scientists who work in pharmaceuticals - one works for Pfizer, one for Novartis and another working to develop cancer drugs. I also have 2 close friends who are physicians. They have access to plenty of data and truly understand that data. They are all vaccinated.

There is an understanding that all vaccines, like medications, have potential side effects and it’s not clear why some people get side effects and others don’t. I agree that these vaccines are new and there’s still a lot that we don’t know but right now it’s all we have.

I do think it’s a slippery slope to require people to take a vaccine they may not want to take. It is one thing to require someone to wear a seatbelt for their safety, or a mask to protect them and others from illness, but I do think requiring people to put something into their bodies is dicey on principle. I do not however, have any problem requiring people to have a valid negative COVID-19 test to participate in certain activities, especially if the person chooses not to be vaccinated. My biggest problem is with the anti-maskers. Why don’t people feel obligated to protect a child they may be near who cannot be vaccinated. You’re being asked to wear a mask not a hazmat suit. That I just don’t get it. I also don’t understand those who think the virus is fake, no big deal and isn’t lethal. This is not a global conspiracy where we somehow got all these people around the world to volunteer to die just to fake people out. That ridiculousness is beyond comprehension.

However, I can’t return to work unless I get vaccinated. It’s a private company. A health plan actually. It is within their right to require it. They can do it legally. I’m also under a ton of pressure for my husband to get back to get vaccinated.

My biggest fear is the potential for my tinnitus to worsen, or for the tinnitus that resolved in my left ear to reappear. Both my ENT and Otologist strongly advised I get the vaccine despite their knowledge that there are reports of possible tinnitus as a result. It is a risk vs. benefit issue.

I’m very scared. I’ve had autoimmune issues in the past and I have some mild hearing loss all of which puts me at a greater risk for tinnitus as a result of the vaccine, but I don’t want to get the virus either. My friends who are physicians, who I trust, said that although vaccinated folks can get the virus, the people who are dying from it now are the unvaccinated. I do believe that I will get the vaccine and pray for the best but I will also continue to wear my mask when I am out and about since I can still acquire the virus, not get ill with it but pass it on to others.

It is true that viruses mutate but they generally do not want to kill their hosts. Otherwise, they can’t survive. Thus, they tend to weaken over time. We can only hope that will happen.

• Like Like x 4
      • Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    8. Robster
      Irritated

Robster Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Jan 2021 MRI, Worsened Nov 2021 Vaccine, Oct 2023 Smoke Alar
      I'm also torn about this. I definitely don't want to get COVID-19, but am also terrified the vaccine could make my tinnitus worse. Working from home at the moment and have been living like a hermit. Part of me wants to try and wait it out until the virus becomes more benign. Though how long that will take is anyone's guess.

You can tell by the poll results that people have vastly different opinions about this subject. Don't think I've ever seen an online opinion poll on any website that is almost equal across four different options.

• Like Like x 2
    9. Syd Barrett

Syd Barrett Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/91
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Other
      This is taken from the Yellow Card vaccine adverse events reporting system (UK). 5,780 reports of tinnitus following a COVID-19 vaccine. Bear in mind that these systems are notoriously underused by a factor of 10 to a 100 based on a number of different studies on underreporting.

The figures below shouldn't be taken as an indication that AstraZeneca causes proportionately more cases of tinnitus than the other vaccines as AstraZeneca has been administered more than the other vaccines in the UK.

(Source: https://yellowcard.ukcolumn.org/yellow-card-reports)

upload_2021-9-24_9-52-59.png

• Like Like x 1
    10. Kam75

Kam75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced trauma in 2014 and 2019+ototoxic drug in 2020
      I did see these figures on the internet.

It may not seem like a lot, 5,780 out of millions of vaccinated people, but I think that if I was so unlucky to develop tinnitus and hyperacusis while wearing custom-made hearing protection during the festival, staying at the back of the concert hall, I think that I may very well be part of the minority of people whose COVID-19 vaccine aggravated their tinnitus.

So for me it's a no-go! I won't do this vaccine.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    11. Syd Barrett

Syd Barrett Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/91
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Other
      I think something that should also be considered is that there is a significant level of under-reporting to systems like VAERS, Yellow Card, etc. So, the actual number of people injured in this way from the vaccine may be far higher.

Further, there are repeated reports of doctors not wishing to acknowledge that an injury or death was in any way related to the vaccines that they are pushing so vociferously, so there may be an even greater disparity than usual between the reported injuries from these vaccines and the actual injuries.

• Agree Agree x 2
    12. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Hi @Damocles -- I wish more people were aware of this problem. It seems very similar to the antibiotic resistant bacteria that are now such a major problem, which resulted from the indiscriminate overuse of antibiotics. The insistence that people who've already had COVID-19 get vaccinations is not even close to being scientific.
      Thank you @Forever hopeful for your thoughtful post. I would like to respectfully disagree with you that vaccines are all we have. I believe there are almost innumerable things people can do to protect themselves from becoming infected (including wearing masks), and effectively treating themselves with safe natural therapies if they do become infected.

You might find it of interest that only 1-5% of people who get COVID-19 need to be hospitalized. And of those who are hospitalized, nearly all have a co-morbid condit0n such as diabetes or obesity, etc. And 88% of them had 2 of these conditions. In my mind, we don't have a "pandemic of the unvaccinated", but more a pandemic that primarily affects those who are already chronically ill.

It appears from your picture that you are healthy and fit. If so, I would say your chances of being hugely impacted by a COVID-19 infection is relatively low. Though it's not well known, most cases are mild, for most people. However, since you already have significant hearing and tinnitus issues, it seems to me the chances of you being hugely impacted by taking a vaccine are higher. Just a bit of my own calculus.

I totally respect everybody's decision on what is best for them. Good luck navigating this situation for yourself. It must be challenging trying to weigh all the many factors you mentioned in your post. All the Best...

• Winner Winner x 1
    13. lucy_snow

lucy_snow Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss/ibuprofen
      Well, I'm in the same boat as @Forever hopeful, at the moment I'm also considering should I get the vaccine. I do not have co-morbid conditions, but I have hearing loss. My biggest concern here is that if you have hearing loss and you get COVID-19 it could mess up your ears/hearing even more.

@Lane, what do you think about that?

14. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Those poor guys in their 30s who died in Japan after having the Moderna vaccine are not going to need medical care any longer. Poor guys. RIP.

• Agree Agree x 2
    15. Damocles
      No Mood

Damocles Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otitis media
      Hi @lucy_snow,

I realise you were directing this question to @Lane (who, from his posts, I would endorse as being very sensible and clued up on the topic), but I recently covered this is another thread, so I thought an answer from me might suffice, until @Lane sees your question.

So, based on three studies, I would say your chance of COVID-19 causing you (worsened) tinnitus stands at around 10% (that's based on three studies: subtracting the study that gave the lowest percentage chance "4.5%" with the highest "15%").

But here's the thing: you have to remember that all viruses are capable of causing/worsening tinnitus, especially Coronaviruses, Rhinoviruses and Influenza. What this comes down to, is that COVID-19 is the only virus that has had any studies conducted into find a link between it and tinnitus.

So for all we know, the common cold/Flu might have a 25% chance of causing/worsening tinnitus (far higher than COVID-19), and we would never know. We might have been swanning around most of our lives dodging bullets far bigger than what this current virus is presenting us with; just the studies have never been done, because whatever way you look at it, COVID-19 is "en vogue".

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. lucy_snow

lucy_snow Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss/ibuprofen
      @Damocles, thank you so much for your detailed answer! It's a great help to me and encouragement :)

And what about hearing loss? Have you find any study about COVID-19 and hearing loss?

17. Damocles
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otitis media
      Yes, there were a lot more studies exploring a link between COVID-19 and hearing loss than there were COVID-19 and tinnitus (surprise surprise :rolleyes:).

This is from the British Tinnitus Association: Covid-19 and hearing loss | British Tinnitus Association
      Keep in mind, these results were assessed using questionnaires and not audiograms etc. (all of that will come later).

• Informative Informative x 1
    18. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Rest assured, we do know that the hypothesis you present isn't true. It's not like "we would never know".

It's (reasonably) simple math.

Phenomena with high incidence rate and highly negative outcomes don't tend to go unnoticed in our world.

• Agree Agree x 3
    19. Damocles
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otitis media
      Oh okay @GregCA. Well don't be so coy then, give us some numbers (since it's such "simple Math").

Influenza vs COVID-19: % risk of causing tinnitus. Go!

20. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi @lucy_snow -- Something that I think is often lost in the conversation about COVID-19 is the concept of viral load. It takes a certain amount of viral exposure to become infected in the first place, and a variety of factors are involved as to whether this viral load keeps increasing and proliferating. Vit. D and Zinc levels in the body are very important factors in this regard.

This study on nitric oxide nasal spray found a 20-fold reduction in coronavirus RNA just 24 hours after starting Enovid nasal spray treatment. Say what? They know that this substance (and others) can dramatically reduce viral load in the nose and throat? What if everybody did something like this on a daily basis? I've got my own measures that I'm taking to prevent getting infected, and prepared to do if I were to get infected.

Quite honestly, I feel so prepared, that even though I have no desire to get COVID-19, I'm not afraid of it. I am however, very concerned about what a COVID-19 vaccine could do to me (and my hearing and tinnitus). The COVID-19 virus is actually quite vulnerable to some fairly simple, effective, and inexpensive treatments.

You may want to check out the below linked riveting story of one family's successful efforts to prevent an almost certain death from H1N1. The link will take you to the part where it's become clear to the medical professionals the man has no chance of surviving. At this section of the video, they mention liposomal Vit. C,which is something I have on hand to take in large amounts if I were to become infected.

From the years of research I've done on Vit. C in the treatment of viral infections, I feel certain an infusion of liposomal Vit. C in the case of COVID-19 infection would work very well in keeping my viral load at manageable levels. Adding a good number of other therapies would likely do the same. I think being able to keep the viral load at manageable levels is key, and in my opinion, relatively easy to do.

Vitamin C The Miracle Swine Flu Cure - 60 Minutes Living Proof

• Informative Informative x 2
    21. K.A.

K.A. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2008, then 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      In Denmark there was a "Mink-outbrake" (12 humans + some minks), which made the country basically freak totally out and kill every single Mink in the country;

Mink-strain of COVID-19 virus in Denmark

I am surprised if minks are the only animal capable of taking this role...

22. K.A.

K.A. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2008, then 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Do you think you will be able to avoid getting the virus, or do you think the virus will be less damaging?

23. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      To more directly answer your concern, I think keeping COVID-19 viral load levels down would go a long way toward avoiding any hearing/tinnitus issues. After all, most people do very little to reduce their viral levels once they become infected, and they still end up with only a mild case (around 80% fall into this category, according to my understanding).

• Like Like x 1
    24. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      That's a very different ask from disproving...
      ...which is pretty simple to do, with simple math indeed.

25. Damocles
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otitis media
      Ah okay, I see what's going on here. You've taken "we would never know" 100% (getting back to percentages) literally.

Now, if we as a species are capable of putting together a trial to observe how many people who test positive for COVID-19 have also recently developed tinnitus, then it goes without saying we could do the same for Influenza.

The fact that you've taken me this literally, and even felt the need to state this obvious means you are now the recipient of my most autistic member of Tinnitus Talk award.

Congratulations, you've actually dethroned @Matchbox, no easy fete. (y)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    26. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      Give me a chance, I'm sure I can outdo myself.

• Funny Funny x 4
    27. Alexandor Scott

Alexandor Scott Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Just an update for those that may be waiting for the Novavax vaccine. They've submitted for emergency use approval to the WHO, which means submissions to the UK/EU/US/AUS shouldn't be far behind. Good news for those holding out for a non-mRNA vaccine.

28. Kam75

Kam75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced trauma in 2014 and 2019+ototoxic drug in 2020
      Both. Since I don't have a social life anymore, I don't visit people, so there is less risk of contracting the virus.

And I think that with time and collective immunity, the virus will be less dangerous (it is already relatively harmless for young people without comorbidities) :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    29. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      • Like Like x 1
    30. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      @GregCA is a very intelligent and well respected member. He doesn't get into pointless arguments, like I and others do, because he knows better.

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1