Suicidal

Discussion in 'Support' started by jeremy06, Oct 14, 2018.

1. dipp
      Moonlighting

dipp Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Maybe stress and acoustic trauma
      I believe that you have read about Dignitas. This Pegasos I'm nearly sure that would assist people with tinnitus.

2. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      Nope, it is Pegasos I've read about.

3. grate_biff
      In pain

grate_biff Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma using headphones
      You don´t even have to be sick to get a grant from Pegasos. You just have to want to die and they will aid you.
      That is their philosophy. It is about you, not them and their rules.
      I am a paying supporter and have started filling out the form for a VAD.
      Taking my time though. To be or not to be...

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    4. Tatsopa

Tatsopa Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2005 (Onset) 05/2020 (Worsening)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No clue
      Hi,

In a moment of great despair, due to being unable to sleep for days, I asked Pegasos if my "case" was "good enough" to successfully apply for VAD (I'm not suicidal, just wanted to know if/when, tinnitus will/would become unbearable, I could "rely" on them).

They reply my case was "very acceptable"...

• Informative Informative x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    5. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wow, that must be a very reassuring answer. Do you have hyperacusis also?

Isn't Pegasos based in Australia or something like that? I don't think I would ever be able to travel such a long way for euthanasia :/ if it came down to that. I'm not there yet, even though I am sick of it all, but I still got more fight in me... I just have had the usual intermittent meltdown... now "back on the horse", even though that horse it battered and broken.

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. Lurius
      Sad

Lurius Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Valsalva maneuver
      We scandinavians have to take care of each other. I've been feeling sorry for you ever since I read your first post. Wanted to reach out to you but I think you turned off the option to receive private messages. I really hope the future holds something better for you. I'm a bit of an empath, so it's dreadful to read about all the suffering in this place.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    7. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      In Switzerland. Piece of cake to travel for Europeans.

• Like Like x 1
    8. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Oh I see. Yeah, that's much easier.

9. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I presented a similar opinion on here and a few people became angry or offended. I agree with you, 100%. Tinnitus is unique in its torment and it's invisible but that is still not the worst part of it. When you have ear pain, hyperacusis and/or noxacusis on top of it... it's too much to bear. Many people who have severe cases of those wish they could end their lives if there is no forthcoming cure or relief treatment. I don't know how long I can wait for some unknown treatment which has no guarantee or probability rate of working.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Tatsopa

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No clue
      Maybe a slight "sound sensitivity" but no pain or something too serious to be called hyperacusis. Only got T, some ear discomfort and pressure that drive me fuc$$$ mad!!!

But as I said, I'm not in a suicidal mood right now. I just exposed my case to them in a moment of despair. To be honest, I found'em a bit too much eager to "help me" (that was kinda scary).

11. grate_biff
      In pain

grate_biff Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma using headphones
      Well, it's a profitable business.

12. Harley

Harley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Here is what I would like to hear from a GP or an ENT upon being diagnosed with Tinnitus, after they take you to a private room, along with your family if possible:

"I'm very sorry, but you have an incurable condition for which there is no treatment currently available.
      It is called Tinnitus.

Tinnitus can get better, stay the same or get worse for reasons, which we still don't fully understand.
      While this will be without question the most challenging and darkest period of your life, there might be some good news on the horizon within the next 5 to 10 years as far as some medical treatments possibly becoming available.

In the meantime you could try some counselling based therapies such as the CBT, however those types of therapies only focus on the mental fallout and not the actual cause.
      The success rate of those therapies currently remains unclear and subject to interpretation.

On behalf of the medical profession, I would like to offer my deepest condolences along with a sincere apology, for being unable to help you at the present time.

I would advice you to try and wait until a treatment aimed at reducing (or eliminating) tinnitus becomes available, however If you chose to end your life, it is completely understandable, given your predicament.
      This is why we offer an assisted end of life option regardless of the current laws, as your condition is subject to a world wide exemption based on humanitarian grounds about unnecessary torture.

This option is of course free of charge, along with a letter of apology and a refund of all of your tax contributions, which you have paid towards health care up till now, which will go to your family".

To me, the above sounds so much better than some lame joke about "at least having legs" or a casual advice of "learn to live with it".

A tinnitus diagnosis should be delivered with the same sensitivity and respect as the diagnoses of a terminal illness, considering it can literally wipe out someones life in couple of weeks.

• Winner Winner x 7
      • Agree Agree x 4
      • Genius Genius x 2
    13. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      My head is buzzing again. Why did I take a nap? My sleep is all screwed up. Maybe CPAP would lessen the noise for some of us? I have an old CPAP. Been meaning to get another sleep study done. I have to get a sleep study done in order to get a new CPAP machine. Mine is a 2006 model.

14. DaveFromChicago

DaveFromChicago Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headcold/Flu
      To Harley:

Extremely well stated. On a purely imaginary level I wondered if such unprecedented, emergency measures would be granted if all of the 3,290,000 Americans (and 12,500,000 Worldwide) who contracted COVID-19 had severe, disabling tinnitus as a residual symptom. Or, is this what it would take for a mammoth, all-systems-go research effort to be undertaken to find a cure?

15. acute
      Depressed

acute Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      If not indiscretion, may I ask you a question?

How old are you? I had read that Pegasos was not assisting anyone under the age of 40, let alone in his twenties.

16. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      They have to eat too.

17. dipp
      Moonlighting

dipp Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I hope you are wrong. In their FAQ, they stand that the only prerequisite regarding to that is that you should be older than 18.

18. Tatsopa

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No clue
      I'm 45.

19. Johan001

Johan001 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      Thank you @LindaS

I believe most people really don't distinguish between tinnitus and TINNITUS.

I read some reactions from the Dutch public to Gaby Olthuis' case - mocking her as "pathetic" to die just because of "ringing". That made me sick. There was another case when a woman suffering from tinnitus implored her husband to kill her, he tried, but failed, got prosecuted. She later did that herself anyway. Yet, the majority says, oh they must have had an underlying mental health condition... anyway I'm happy I still "have my arms and legs"

• Agree Agree x 5
    20. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      It's not that hard to off yourself. Even without a firearm. Why would anyone pay?
      It feels cucked to pay, and would only make sense if you are donating organs.

21. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You sound ignorant in that department. Killing yourself is in NO WAY easy. All methods you do yourself involve pain and suffering and the risk of failure, where you can end up even more crippled then before.

• Agree Agree x 7
      • Winner Winner x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    22. dipp
      Moonlighting

dipp Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I´m willing to do that in the case I need it because of the following reasons:

1) 100% chance of death. Nothing could be wrong and leave you in a bad way (an unable to suicide).
      2) No relative of mine would find my corpse and therefore avoiding trauma.
      3) Painless.
      4) Safe for everybody around.

Could you recommend any other method that accomplish this?

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 2
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    23. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I don't want to suffer more, I don't want to have a risk of failing and getting in a more miserable situation than I'm already am. I don't want my loved ones to be exposed to the spectacle (is this the correct word here?) if I hang myself, jump, slit my wrist, etc., you get the gist. I don't want to traumatize other people by jumping in front of a train. These are my reasons. That might mean I'm not desperate enough yet.

• Hug Hug x 5
      • Agree Agree x 2
    24. ASilverLight
      In pain

ASilverLight Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably noise, stress and a neck injury.
      Again, people don't get the impact of more severe tinnitus (and hyperacusis). If it was a little ringing in silence I had I wouldn't be here. I wouldn't hear my tinnitus outside, or over music. I wouldn't have these fluctuations and this many tones.

The assumption that tinnitus is just a sound in silence is so hurtful and offensive even IF it's true for the majority. They should always look at the worst cases and go from there, even if they're the minority. A condition is as bad as its worst case.

• Agree Agree x 4
    25. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      I just find it disrespectful to give money to shady organizations like that. I don't want this to become a market.

• Agree Agree x 1
    26. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Oh, I see what you mean. Are they actually shady?

I find it morbid too that I should start saving up either for the very uncertain treatments in the future or VAD, and that's a profitable business, but I don't think that in my country active euthanasia will be a legal option in the foreseeable future because of moral ambiguity and imo some misguided religious idea about how suffering is a noble thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    27. dipp
      Moonlighting

dipp Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      They provide a service I value and they get money. I don't see the problem.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    28. MrCrybaby

MrCrybaby Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2014, 10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      School Band, Noxious Car Radio
      MAiD (medical assistance in death) needs to be available locally and at fair cost. The international death industry as it exists today is unsettling, no one should have a monopoly on a dignified dying.

• Agree Agree x 4
    29. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uhmm, too late. It's been a "market" for quite some time. It's 7 years ago, that it was reported in the press in my country, that a lady had travelled to Dignitas to peacefully end her life due to ALS.

I am thankful that there are people out there willing to help people get a dignified peaceful passing, should they wish for it.

Calling them shady is nonsense.

• Agree Agree x 7
      • Like Like x 1
    30. bobvann
      Ape-like

bobvann Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      At least we can treat our animals if they suffer more humanely...

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1