Will You Get Vaccinated for Coronavirus (COVID-19)? Can It Make Tinnitus or Hyperacusis Worse?

Discussion in 'Support' started by TheDanishGirl, Nov 13, 2020.

?

Will you get vaccinated for coronavirus?

1. Yes, right away, as soon as possible, when the first vaccine becomes available

2. Yes, planning to, but I will wait a while to see if there are any potential long-term side effects

3. Maybe, I haven't decided yet one way or another

4. No, I'm not going to get vaccinated

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Forever hopeful
      Disappointed

Forever hopeful Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015 resolved, 4/20 L ear, increase 2/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2015,noise,2020-21 SNHL
      I asked my PCP the same question. I know my ENT wouldn’t give them to me. She said she didn’t know about steroids post vaccine.

From what I am hearing, I think the general consensus that the inflammatory response is what gets the immune system going and by dampening that you are in essence compromising the efficacy of the vaccine.

So then that begs the question: If that’s true, what’s the point of having the vaccine if you’re going to take steroids afterwards? I know I had steroid injections and was told to wait a month to get my vaccine. That was advice re: steroids prior to the vaccine. Maybe others on the site have more information.

• Informative Informative x 2
    2. Brian P

Brian P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ménière’s disease
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. Forever hopeful
      Disappointed

Forever hopeful Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2015,noise,2020-21 SNHL
    4. rhwelc

rhwelc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      This is totally anecdotal, and I'll never know the real cause, but I got tinnitus the same week as my first dose of COVID-19 vaccine. That was about 7 months ago and honestly I'm starting to get pretty depressed.

• Hug Hug x 7
    5. tpj
      Sad

tpj Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      probably noise
    6. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      Strange that no one has gotten their third shot yet. It has been 8 months for some people already.

Anyone?

7. Brian P

Brian P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ménière’s disease
      Sounds familiar.

• Agree Agree x 2
    8. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Wrfortiscue Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Careful, some will say it was your anxiety leading up to the shot that caused perception of it worsening lol.

6 months here.

• Agree Agree x 2
    9. guenguer

guenguer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden hearing loss 2004/12/14/15
      0 shots here ‍♂️

• Winner Winner x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    10. Brian P

Brian P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ménière’s disease
      The psychiatrist told me that. What a joke.

• Funny Funny x 4
    11. whatdidyousay

whatdidyousay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud volumes
      I got both Pfizer shots in the Spring and no noticeable change to tinnitus levels. I felt it was far more important to get a full vaccine regimen than worry about any potential tinnitus complications and I certainly do not like tinnitus, but the world does not revolve around me.

I also got the seasonal flu shot today and can't tell if there's any change in tinnitus since I seem to have some issues from being exposed to a loud karaoke machine/speaker that was playing very close to me two days ago. But I can't imagine the shot would worsen tinnitus as I've never experienced that as a symptom from any vaccine over the years.

• Like Like x 2
    12. Forever hopeful
      Disappointed

Forever hopeful Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2015,noise,2020-21 SNHL
      Does that include tinnitus? You mention serious side effects. Those of us with tinnitus call that a serous side effect. Just wondering? I too know so many people who have been vaccinated with no issues. But I do know of two people who are outside of my direct knowledge but are known to folks I know that report having to tinnitus as a result of the vaccine.

13. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      From what I'm reading online, for people who had no tinnitus, it's one of the rarest side effect. Much more common is the myocarditis issue (Sweden has halted Moderna).

• Like Like x 1
    14. rhwelc

rhwelc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I've been following reports of tinnitus following the vaccine since the spring, the numbers have been going up from under .4%, to .5%, now it's about 1%, which is not that rare. I don't know what portion it doesn't resolve. I personally suspect it's under reported.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    15. Dennis66

Dennis66 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I got my second shot in July. And I did notice a spike some weeks later. Perhaps it was random but it did freak me out for a while. I can say the tinnitus has settled now, back to what it was before the vaccination.

16. Brian P

Brian P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ménière’s disease
      Where did you see this? My tinnitus went through the roof after the vaccine and has not gone down.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    17. Forever hopeful
      Disappointed

Forever hopeful Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2015,noise,2020-21 SNHL
      I was just researching this last night and I did not find any updated data that suggested that the rate was at 1%.

• Like Like x 3
      • Informative Informative x 1
    18. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Third dose? For a young healthy person??? Why?

• Good Question Good Question x 4
    19. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Pharma companies lobby to vaccinate children just to make more money. Simple as that. The argument is that they could spread the virus to others who are vulnerable. But the real reason is just the pursuit of larger profits for a few companies.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
    20. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      I am still amazed that government and pharma companies keep delivering bad news bit by bit, following a previously designed agenda from the first minute, and people keep thinking these governmental decisions are a result of some kind of "learning" process.

I mean, from the first minute I already expected this to happen:

- You should have a first dose of the vaccine
      - Oooops it seems a second dose will be needed
      - Maybe a third dose would be necessary

Etc

Never ending...

Governments knew it from day one. And pharma companies too. This is a business based on blatant lies and the general population has fallen for it.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    21. LilSass
      Loved

LilSass Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely ototoxic medication
      I just had my second Pfizer shot last week, and while there has been no change in my tinnitus, it did result in a horrible week long migraine (as did the first vaxx, as well as when I had COVID-19 in February this year). I was made to feel like a social pariah if I didn't get my vaccine passport, so I took the risk - I was not concerned about contracting COVID-19 again as I already had natural immunity (even if I got it again it would likely be less severe).

I was less worried about tinnitus increase, only because mine doesn't seem to react to anything, just resets in volume each night after sleep, however, I knew that it would affect my migraines, and it did (I really didn't want to risk it because I have had recent improvement and of course I feel like I am back to having chronic migraine). Of course everyone says 'it's safe', but the problem is that you could know 1,000 people who were fine afterwards, that doesn't mean it couldn't happen to you, even if the probability is 0.1%.

I wish that I didn't have to stress about my health so much, I know the stress isn't helpful, but no one else is going to care as much as you do, because they don't have to live with the consequences. Unfortunately, if you find out you made the 'wrong' decision, it's too late and you end up blaming yourself anyway, even if it seems safe. This (these) conditions are the worst because they're invisible and not 'life-threatening' so no one really places a priority on them, and you are alone - most people don't understand how difficult it is to live like this. The uncertainty of these conditions is making me a nervous wreck.

Best wishes to all and hoping that you are able to make the best decision for your heath; it's not easy, that's for sure. :)

• Like Like x 2
    22. Forever hopeful
      Disappointed

Forever hopeful Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2015,noise,2020-21 SNHL
      But you also have Meniere’s, correct? I thought I had read that somewhere.

23. Brian P

Brian P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ménière’s disease
      You’re correct. The tinnitus from Ménière’s was very mild. I rarely even heard it.

• Hug Hug x 1
    24. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      • Winner Winner x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    25. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Great video for awareness. Less great is the ending... "Tinnitus is treatable".

I wonder if doctors really believe that, or perhaps they think that "treatable" just means "I can do something about it" like "I treated my patient my telling her to turn on the fan at night". According to the dictionary on my Mac though, "treatable" means "able to be healed or cured, especially medically".

• Agree Agree x 10
    26. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Now people vaccinated with what was going to be "one dose" Janssen, have to get a second dose of the vaccine provided by Pfizer or Moderna... governments and health authorities seem quite erratic, to say the least.

27. Fally
      Bookworm

Fally Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      no sure
      Well, its been a while since ive been on here but here we are.

So I had pfizer, basically here in NSW Australia we were told if we didnt get vaccinated we lose out on freedom. I was also told if i didnt get vaccinated i would lose my job. So i got vaccinated. First shot was fine nothing happened all good. Second shot om gosh, I got the mirgrane for 4 days, tinnitus went through the roof and now im dealing with bad Hypercusis especially in my left ear. My ears are still full 3 weeks later and paining at sound. I do not understand what on earth has happened and how it got worse. My T has however gone down ironically now im just left with sensitivity which im hoping disppears soon.

My boyfriend also ended up getting Tinnitus from the second Pfizer jab so its been a triggering time all around for all of us. He does claim his has gone down but not away.

• Informative Informative x 3
      • Hug Hug x 2
    28. rhwelc

rhwelc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      • Like Like x 1
    29. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Wrfortiscue Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
    30. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      That article says the number is coming from the VAERS database. When I go to the VAERS site and input TINNITUS as symptom for all COVID-19 vaccines, I get a result of 11,852 events matching this symptom (query is retrievable at https://wonder.cdc.gov/controller/saved/D8/D246F121 - please double check that I submitted the right query parameters)

That is orders of magnitude different from 1%. Not sure where that gap is coming from.

• Agree Agree x 4