Suicidal

Discussion in 'Support' started by jeremy06, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      The problem with materalism is that they "Dawkins, Harris, Denette, Blackmore, are trying to explain consciousness away as an epiphenomenal illusion and we have no free will. (It's all genes) They have to say all that all art, music and culture in human history was generated by biochemical puppets without agency.

That's a mad position to defend!

I already explained a million times in MPP why the existence of free will (something lay people take for granted) is basically what scientist would require super natural shit or quantum physics to explain. That's why they label consciousness an illusion. They have no choice.

Even the well respected Quantum physicist Sean Carroll stated quantum randomness doesn't give us free will. :(

2. KyleM
      Sleepy

KyleM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Aug 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Undetermined/Hearing Loss
      Maybe you need to just find something that needs doing and get back to work work.

3. Zugzug

Zugzug Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown; Likely autoimmune; Certainly not noise-induced
      Obviously my input means nothing, but I just want you to know that you are an extremely valuable member of this community. There's a level of honesty that you speak about the issues that is rare. You have given me way more hope than the victim-blamers on here -- a hope that people stand up for themselves. You are miserable, but know that you help others.

• Like Like x 6
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      That was a really kind comment!

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    5. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

temporarily banished from this plane of existence.
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm definitely not a materialist, but I'd like to see Dawkins cage fight Sam Harris, and then the winner gets shot

• Funny Funny x 1
    6. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Someone needs to put LSD inside Dawkins tea.

Out of highschool I watched Dawkins segments on Youtube and was a fanboy. Now I'm looking at him like a skeptic.

• Like Like x 1
    7. serendipity1996

serendipity1996 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown but suspect noise-induced
      As soon as I listen to an artificial audio source (TV, radio, laptop, phone) my ears feel uncomfortable. Not loudness but pain hyperacusis. Well, not getting acute pain but ears feel tense, forehead tingling intensifies, and get mild ear prickling afterwards. It's like some bizarre sort of allergic reaction. And it's pretty much only artificial audio... no problems with face-to-face convo or normal environmental noise even cutlery. Artificial just seems to have this abrasive piercing quality to it. Am so frustrated. Feel like I have a v atypical case of hyperacusis. Beginning to feel cut-off from everything as haven't been able to watch any news, TV, YouTube, documentaries, listen to music for over 2 months. I'm a keen reader so it's not been the absolute end of the world but I'm just feeling so frustrated about it all.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. alanisnotadj
      Batty

alanisnotadj Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1992 (got much worse in 2018)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      Have they fallen out?

9. PeteJ
      Depressed

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      The constant pain in my left ear and the joint with the upper cheekbone is just unbearable. I am so tired of this.

I don't know how long I can deal with this. Plus loud tinnitus.

I think it's a severe case of TMJ-like symptoms but doesn't seem to match others' here. Why are ENTs paid so much if they can't help with these conditions?!?

I think it's been over a week or two, straight, with severe ear pain and no relief or subsiding. Narcotics should be offered for pain like this. I was advised to consult pain clinics but each city/country is different and I don't see any mention of ear pain on online sites for pain management. I am afraid that they won't be willing to help me.

I also want a solution and if there isn't one, I ultimately WANT SUICIDE if that is the only way to stop this pain condition. The tinnitus is bad enough that I experience this, too!

10. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

temporarily banished from this plane of existence.
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      no idea, don't care, stand by the original quote :D

11. Zugzug

Zugzug Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Honestly, I'm less upset that ENTs can't help than I am that they don't report the truth back to the researchers and create some form of advocacy. Like imagine if every time one of us came to an ENT, they personally emailed the NIH and said they had another patient whose life is ruined and nothing can be done. That's a whole lot different from "See what the psychiatrist can do to calm you down!"

I've seen several high-level ENTs and I would bet every dollar I own that they never critically thought about my problem after a 5 minute meeting with me, where they recommended benzos, TRT, and lipoflavinoids.

Have you tried curcumin, CBD oil, or antidepressants? Of course, I'm not talking about for the problem, but for management for the fallout of the problem. I know some people have really bad results from these, but others may not.

I've had some success with curcumin and CBD oil, but I think it's because my problem is from a systemic illness. I'm not sure if they help (even anecdotally) for other causes.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    12. PeteJ
      Depressed

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I don't have much money month to month so I haven't but I want to try curcumin and CBD oil since I have access to it, at least. I just don't know how I will buy it. So far, I have only tried amitriptyline.

How does any of that help with ear pain though?

My ear is also red from holding ice in a washcloth there.

13. serendipity1996

serendipity1996 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idk if this will be of any help but I know Myriam Westcott in Australia had one patient who had severe ear pain/face pain from TTTS and acoustic shock and found great relief in a stellate ganglion block and further nerve blocks using Botox. There's more discussion about it in the hyperacusis section but basically this person's pain has pretty much all but gone after multiple treatments. It's still pretty experimental at this stage obviously but Myriam is very quick to reply if you get in touch with her via email so maybe it's a possible option to explore?
      Idk if this will be helpful, just putting it out there. :)

• Like Like x 1
    14. Orions Pain
      Surrender

Orions Pain Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise damage
      The feelings of being so far removed out of normal life are so real. Anxiety is soul crushing

• Agree Agree x 7
    15. RishRamsey
      Doubtful

RishRamsey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stupid DJ
      Joining this thread - also signed up on a suicide forum, god help me!

Extreme pain and just getting setbacks and setbacks and setbacks, with actually no hope for improvement.

I really wish I lived alone, with no family, that way suicide would be easier.

On one hand it feels like a relief, like 1 day I can end this pain, but on the other hand, the idea of crushing my mother's soul is worse than this pain.

• Hug Hug x 5
    16. Harley

Harley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      That is a very good way to describe this condition.
      Life and this level of tinnitus is mutually exclusive.

The world is now getting a tiny watered down sample of the isolation, that someone suffering from tinnitus/hyperacusis would go through (minus the 24/7 torture of course) and everyone is freaking out.

Now if they weren't able to sleep, relax, listen to music or even load the dishwasher without ear muffs, the world would go up in flames.

If tinnitus was transmitted same way like the coronavirus, it would put the world at a emergency lock-down stand still.

Looking for a cure would then suddenly become the #1 global priority, as the death rate from the suicides would far surpass any known virus or disease.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Winner Winner x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    17. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      I don't think we realize how powerful we really are, we have the ability to change things and undo the mess. The elite NIH funded psychologists won't get their next NIH grant if we make our voices heard. We could knock their careers out overnight.

18. Zugzug

Zugzug Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't really want research in psychology to end, I just want tinnitus and hyperacusis sufferers to finally get their real place at the table -- much in the same way that there is now a clear distinction between heart disease and anxiety/depression. No one tells a 20 year old with anxiety that they should see a cardiologist.

CBT is actually very, very good (and clinically proven) for certain disorders (I would know because I've done it). It's just an utter flop for hearing conditions.

Same with chronic pain conditions. Sure, CBT may help some for these conditions, but there's very little value in researching further. That money would be better spent trying to find a cure.

• Agree Agree x 4
    19. ACG
      Studious

ACG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      @PeteJ Are you taking magnesium? Sorry if you already mentioned you were or weren't, but I had the same type of cheek joint/ear pain and over time, magnesium glycinate seemed to help. It took a while, but it went away completely after a while. Here's another thing you can try. Put a tiny dab of capsaicin cream (brand name Capzasin) behind the ear.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11203735

20. serendipity1996

serendipity1996 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah exactly. It's like we know that things like CBT can be helpful with regards to coping mechanisms but do we really need another 50+ studies linking tinnitus to poor mental health (or on psychological intervention).

• Agree Agree x 2
    21. RishRamsey
      Doubtful

RishRamsey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stupid DJ
      How? Kill ourselves on live TV blaming them?

• Agree Agree x 1
    22. Zugzug

Zugzug Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think it's important that CBT and TRT don't get treated as the same thing. TRT's problem is that it's pseudoscience and irredeemable, aside from a soft recommendation to try it for loudness hyperacusis.

CBT's problem is that it's a valuable tool that is, in fact, so valuable that its boundaries are being pushed too far. There are studies showing it can help OCD more than medication; it's hyped up for a reason. It's all about a total misclassification of what severe hyperacusis and tinnitus really are.

It's like saying climate change measures are the solution to lupus patients who are sensitive to heat. I mean it's true that climate change is real, but it's not really in the spirit of what the lupus patient needs.

• Agree Agree x 1
    23. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Winner Winner x 2
    24. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Agreed.

Jastreboff showed medical science is young and any arrogant psychologist can manipulate a medical topic as if it were a psychological one.

• Agree Agree x 1
    25. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      upload_2020-3-23_15-30-57.png

• Like Like x 1
      • Genius Genius x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    26. Orions Pain
      Surrender

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise damage
      Do you guys think we go to hell or are punished via crappy lives during reincarnation if we kill ourselves when we are experiencing pain/discomfort that can't be helped? I always wonder what other disorders get treated like depression when someone kills themselves. Ya know when you read about it and the family says "oh they were depressed" but in reality it was something like hyperacusis?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    27. Orions Pain
      Surrender

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise damage
      There is literally no point for me to be alive anymore. All my hopes and dreams have been crushed. Why am I still sticking around. I have no future.

• Hug Hug x 4
    28. Zugzug

Zugzug Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You're one hell of a fighter.

29. Luman
      Spaced

Luman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      No, we likely don't need any more studies, at this time, showing a relationship between tinnitus and poor mental health, or psychological intervention.

In my opinion, those who continually bash CBT, are not satisfied with current state of tinnitus research, with good reason, but they utilize CBT as a scapegoat, and deny the fact that many have been helped by it (CBT). They are absolutely convinced that there is no room for psychological help, for tinnitus distress, and would rather see this approach dropped, and forgotten. To be totally honest, with what is going on at this time and for the foreseeable future, I am not holding my breath while waiting for scientific help of any kind, for tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 1
    30. GlennS

GlennS Member Podcast Patron

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      There is a whole suicidal mindset, things people do step by step leading up to the event, attempts to leave some sort of lasting message or legacy. It was frustrating having to live through that with my friend in high school and that was face to face. Watching it play out with anonymous posters here where there is so little opportunity to intervene is that much worse. I'm thinking maybe this forum shouldn't be quite so anonymous and have contingency plans for authorities/social-workers to intervene rather than expecting us to merely passively observe.