Suicidal

Discussion in 'Support' started by jeremy06, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Zugzug

Zugzug Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Autoimmune hyperacusis from Sjogren's Syndrome
      First of all, please don't resort to violence. Not only is it not right, it's unhelpful in this situation.

I think we waste a lot of time (myself included) blaming the wrong people. The biggest people to blame are really the people that drive the audiology education and best practices on hyperacusis. When I really understood this was when I saw an ENT who gave me the impression that he was a good doctor. He seemed kind, answered our questions, didn't victim-blame me. But he suggested CBT as a main treatment.

Though hyperacusis is complex, the problem is pretty simple in the abstract sense. All of the money going towards behavioral management of hyperacusis should be going towards biomedical research.

If this were the case AND doctors stopped giving bad advice (like getting loud tests unnecessarily or that noises under 85 db can't harm us), the problem would no longer be any human being's fault. It would simply be bad luck, being born in the wrong era.

So the question is why do they think the behavioral stuff is so useful for hyperacusis? It's simple. People interpreting statistics incorrectly. If someone improves with time while doing behavioral stuff, they attribute the improvements to the behavioral stuff. It's also people with small imaginations who just can't get over the fact that someone with a hearing disability can have normal thresholds on an audiogram. This is stupid. It's like saying someone who has a normal brain MRI can't have a psychiatric issue.

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. Mercury

Mercury Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I deeply empathize with many of the posts in this thread. I recently habituated to my somatic tinnitus, but overreacted to a spike I was having by searching for white noise to mask it.

Now, I'm terrified that I've caused permanent damage to my ears and caused legitimate tinnitus to spring up. I'm still hearing phantom crickets in my ears coupled with a chronic screaming hiss and the occasional high-pitched screeching.

I was already struggling with depression before this due to other health issues and external stress factors, so I really hope this passes in time because I don't think I can endure much more of this severity.

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. Shizune
      Alone

Shizune Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A curse
      @Zugzug, I was joking about the violence. I'm sorry, I kinda phrased it in a serious tone. I was just thinking how in the social and political world, certain measures can get changes made, and here we are helpless and unable to fight against the system. I'm not a violent person I swear, haha.

The more I look at it the more it just seems like we have not even half a piece in a giant puzzle. Someone on Reddit mentioned an audiology student actually learning the opposite of the "don't protect your ears" advice and I thought it was amazing. Maybe if we're lucky this information will get passed along and a new generation of audiologists will start doing something. But even then no guarantee they'll have the interest to even tackle hyperacusis, or move beyond the "there's no cure so here's a CBT bandaid". What a horrible curse.

4. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      My doctor won't do the psych evaluation. How do you get that?

I think he won't because then he has to write down that he "couldn't help" or maybe there's more paperwork?

5. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      They already write it off (as mental).

That's why there's lots of people on here posting multiple times about not getting help, lack of support and no real advancements on understanding, research and government funding (to treat tinnitus, hyperacusis and related conditions). Government/society think hearing loss is the only concern.

I don't know what the answer is but it's one of the debilitating health conditions that is ignored and not properly understood. No one tries to do so.

You have to try and get disability however if you can't work and need more financial assistance.

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. AliasM
      Depressed

AliasM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Botched lumbar puncture, CSF leak
      Not fair that euthanasia is for terminal illness only. I can't do another day of this. I love my kids but I shouldn't have to endure this torture. They will be fine with their father. I still have 40-50 years of life expectancy. No thank you. I can barely last the week.

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. Zugzug

Zugzug Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Autoimmune hyperacusis from Sjogren's Syndrome
      That definitely cheers me up. Step one is the end of bad advice. Step two is good advice, which is equivalent to investing in biomedical research.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Shizune
      Alone

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A curse
      Yeah I meant they'll continue to treat it as mental and it will hold back progress with awareness. But I do get what you mean.

I'm burning a hole in my savings right now but I know after I finally get new residency and hopefully insurance I'll look into it. Thank you for your continued advice on this. Let me know how the process goes for you.

9. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      I'm pretty sure if things keep going on this way I'm gonna die. Just passed 6 months and many days I feel no joy whatsoever. I still can't sleep without medication. The shower, fans, and basic noises still spike me. I haven't left my house in months. I've gained 20-30 lbs in weight because frankly eating is one of the only things that makes me feel happy.

I really feel like this is going to kill me. I don't have it in me to continue on forever.

My parents are so exhausted from hearing about this and I'm so tired of trying to hide my feelings. At three months I told myself it will be better by six months. Now I'm telling myself twelve. If I don't have something to believe in I'll just die, no question.

• Hug Hug x 7
      • Agree Agree x 4
    10. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      I’m honestly just scared.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Hug Hug x 1
    11. Jrblovsky

Jrblovsky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Christmas 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NOISE/Menieres Who knows
      Have you ever been to a shrink? They can treat everyone. I have serious mental health issues from tinnitus. I just had a spurt last week where I was up for four days straight. I've been to many shrinks over the years and it doesn't work like that at all.

12. Jrblovsky

Jrblovsky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Christmas 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NOISE/Menieres Who knows
      Hang in there. Wish I could say it gets easier. For many it does.

13. AliasM
      Depressed

AliasM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Botched lumbar puncture, CSF leak
      I am in the same place. I saw a psych today and she was so so so terrible. I filled out the questionnaire that showed I was at significant mental health and suicidal risk and when I said it was because of the ringing in my ears, she practically laughed.

I am in such a bad place right now.

• Hug Hug x 6
    14. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Did she really? These people should not be allowed to practice anything dealing with people. Did she care to elaborate what she found so funny about tinnitus and suicidal thoughts due to tinnitus?

• Agree Agree x 3
    15. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Only do all that to get on disability.

They can't help otherwise. Unless they can reduce your tinnitus or hyperacusis, they are of no help. If anyone wants to argue otherwise, go ahead but I am not interested in hearing it. Just being honest.

16. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      How does it "hold back" awareness?

What do you propose people do instead? They already don't listen. I suggested on here, a long time ago, tinnitus researchers have to pressure governments. Governments only listen to those in the health field and even then, the extent that they listen is in question.

Who supports tinnitus sufferers the most if anyone? It needs to be those in some medical field. Maybe wealthy people could help such as celebrities but I think everyone can agree, they practically do nothing. Nothing has changed with their influence so why do you think "patients" being honest with their doctors spreading awareness will make any kind of difference?

17. pdot

pdot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi, I am also desperate to kill myself. I am only 21. I have tinnitus now, and possibly forever, who knows, but I can’t wait that long. I want to die somehow. Maybe overdose. I don’t know. I’ve never done it. Or assisted suicide, would they even accept me? I contacted them. Let’s see.

• Hug Hug x 1
    18. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I too have multiple tones. What helps one, makes another worse. The wind-blow sounds at night are the worst and getting louder and more persistent, every time I move or yawn.

What's helped me more than anything is mindful breathing. I have stress-related breathing difficulties since a bad year 7 years ago, which stopped overnight in 2016 when I got a promising new job, then returned in 2019 when I got tinnitus.

I found that taking slow deep breaths through the nose from the diaphragm not only send me back to sleep in minutes, but they also dampen down my wind-blow sounds to almost nothing whenever they have flared up.

I'm off the hardcore sleeping tablets and onto a herbal concoction of valerian, passion flower and hop strobile (Sleepeaze from Boots the Chemist, if in the UK).

• Hug Hug x 1
    19. Kriszti

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Please, don't do anything rushed. If I saw it correctly, you have had the ringing for a week - two weeks? I don't want to lie, don't want to sound condescending, I know that the first days, weeks are a living hell with the fight or flight response, anxiety running high and the horrible ringing. But give yourself a chance, you are still in the very acute phase, I'm not saying that it will definitely go away, but you have a chance of it going away.

First and foremost, you need to find a way to get your sleep under control. I'm still struggling in that department, but there are natural remedies, masking, sleeping aids, ADs to help you sleep, they may work for you.

Give yourself more time.

(I doubt that VAD is available for acute tinnitus at 21.)

• Like Like x 1
    20. pdot

pdot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have been unable to sleep the past few days, I wake up with heart racing and severe anxiety. I sleep near someone because I'm scared. Yesterday I slept much longer by putting on this RESound app, music of nature. I pray my tinnitus goes away. I can't eat properly or do anything I used to. I'm so scared it will be there forever and how could I live with that. People who do are so brave.

Yes, I've had it for one week now.

• Hug Hug x 4
    21. Kriszti

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I know how horrible this is in the early days and I'm really sorry that you are struggling this bad.

For you it even could go away or reduce to a tolerable level. I have a friend who had terrible whistling in her ear for 2.5 months and hers completely went away. There is a thread somewhere here about spontaneous recovery. You even have a chance that some underlying medical condition causes this and it can be treated.

Don't throw away your life after one week.

• Agree Agree x 6
    22. Shizune
      Alone

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A curse
      @PeteJ, I'm not really suggesting anything. Not trying to argue, apologies if it came off as such. I was just clarifying a previous thing I said.

I do have to wonder though, when running through all the doctors and all that, have you come across any that try to push TRT? That's another worry I have; if tinnitus is mentioned at all, even if you play up the mental aspects, the off chance they *do* take it seriously, are you looking at $5000 towards that and 18+ months of "treatment" attempts. I guess one can be thankful in a way that not many offer it...

23. Leila
      Daring

Leila Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1 chiropractic treatment, 2 and 3 no cause
      As if you'd accompanied me to my doctors' visits - funny but also oh so very, very sad!

• Hug Hug x 1
    24. Leila
      Daring

Leila Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1 chiropractic treatment, 2 and 3 no cause
      I'm sorry to hear about your tinnitus and how hard it is for you to adjust to it right now. It is a good thing that you have somebody offering love and support during these trying times. Please don't give up, I know it feels like the end of the world when suddenly there is a noise in your head 24-7 when all you want is a minute of silence, but what others have said before is true: it will get better. If you are near a forest or park try going for walks; keeping busy and in motion helps we with my tinnitus noises, so hopefully it will let you find a bit of relief this way, too.

• Like Like x 1
    25. pdot

pdot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks for your support :)

• Hug Hug x 1
    26. pdot

pdot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It is much more tolerable in comparison to what I’ve read here. I can’t hear it accept when I sleep. I used ReSound music app and it blocked it out completely. It has reduced today. Except I can still hear it faintly. Thank you for giving me some more strength and hope. I think less anxiety and stress has helped. I also am getting a hearing test done today to see if that is the cause or not.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    27. Orions Pain
      Sad

Orions Pain Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      So tired of this guys. The H pain eating away at me, I feel like I’m living in another world. The isolation is so depressing too

• Hug Hug x 11
      • Agree Agree x 1
    28. Jrblovsky

Jrblovsky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Christmas 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NOISE/Menieres Who knows
      I ask about this as well and the CT scan is not nearly as detailed and useful as the MRI for soft tissue. If you have bone or joint issues the CT is okay. For blood vessels, nerves, etc you need an MRI. I just had one done here in Detroit and I was nervous as hell. Fortunately it went alright.

29. Orions Pain
      Sad

Orions Pain Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      The point is I don’t even need brain imaging. Even if I have the CT I’m 99% sure it will come up clear and the neurologist will always insist on the MRI for more detailed imaging. They are clueless so they will use whatever excuse they can as a crutch.

I know exactly what would happen. I’d have a brain MRI for no reason besides ruling stuff out. It will come up clear, neurologist says she can’t help and to continue with my meds (which I’m already taking) so it will just be a pointless worsening. I’ve had a CT done of my sinuses already.

• Agree Agree x 2
    30. shelbynn
      Overworked

shelbynn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      T 11/20, D and H 1/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      Well folks, this is it. Every single night the tinnitus screams out of control. It's fine during the day. But it's like the second the sun goes down it ramps up to unbearable levels. I just took 300 mg of Gabapentin, 1 mg of Xanax, 10 mg of Nortryptiline and I cannot calm down. I can't do this every fucking night. I cannot live like this.

• Hug Hug x 3