Suicidal

Discussion in 'Support' started by jeremy06, Oct 14, 2018.

1. __nico__
      Heartbroken

__nico__ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2019 / worse Nov 2020 / H since Dec 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Noise
      I just want to live a normal life

• Agree Agree x 7
      • Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    2. katri
      Curious

katri Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      How loud is your tinnitus? How does it feel? How often does it get worse? Just a few questions.

Mine is loud to the point where I feel like someone is screaming at me if I lie my head down or as if there’s this thing that engulfs everything around me. My ears feel raw and stuffy every time it increases more. It probably gets worse every 30 mins to an hour for me.

• Hug Hug x 2
    3. Zugzug

Zugzug Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      This may have been mentioned, but I'm going to double down, as I see so many things for you to consider trying:
      • Anything to get good sleep for a week. Magnesium glycinate and Melatonin help a surprising amount. Mirtazapine and Trazodone also knock people out. If you want an easy over-the-counter, there are plenty, like Zzzquil.
      • A week or two of Prednisone.
      • A few weeks of things like NAC, Curcumin, Green tea, etc.
      • A few weeks of benzos (which may be able to replace some of the sleep aids mentioned above). This can help you sleep and calm down.
      • Meditation, deep breathing, yoga.
      There are so many options, and most likely, it will at least be improved within a few weeks to months.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    4. Chinmoku

Chinmoku Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Started with a cold, possibly worsened by medication/noise
      I stopped measuring it. I can hear it everywhere, inside an aircraft, on a busy road, loud restaurant, shower. It's a super-high pitched needle of sound with some static. It kept worsening steadily but not by the hour.

Are you on any medication? I remember one member on a medication whose tinnitus started increasing all the time.

5. katri
      Curious

katri Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Just taking a load of Melatonin and an allergy pill every night. I’ve never had spikes before from anything so I’m not sure. But I will take excessive amounts of Melatonin just to sleep because the increases literally tear me up. I’m mostly a zombie during the day but my family doesn’t make me feel ashamed of crying.

My sound changes a lot and constantly. It's been head tinnitus, tonal tinnitus, etc. It sounds like glass is repeatedly being broken but I can find ways to distract me during the day. I'm not sure why my body waited weeks to go through this but I’ll have to deal. I’m going to write a long list of healthy obsessions I can turn to. Right now it’s like a loud power drill that’s offering me absolutely no landline.

• Hug Hug x 5
    6. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Just my experience and I have nothing scientific to back this up, but I have been struggling with sleep for more than a year and experienced that upping the dose of Melatonin actually affected my sleep badly. I slept better with one pill than with 3.

• Agree Agree x 2
    7. katri
      Curious

katri Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Can you sleep now? How bad is your tinnitus? I wake up with tremors sometimes. I don't know what that means. I also don't know what my ear sensations mean.

8. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      Who knows... of course I hope this... I want to be better too.

I was not speaking from a place of despair, I was being honest about my situation and lack of hope. Blah.

Changing subject now.

My advocacy plan - When I am ready, I will show my face. I am going to take a few photos of me, my art, and of course my family around me. In a few photos I will have my clunky earmuffs on in contrast to everyone else and will have a hand-painted sign that says tinnitus and hyperacusis sufferer. That's the plan, but of course my vanity wants me to look my best and lose a bit of weight. i.e. C cup to a B.

• Like Like x 3
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    9. GBB

GBB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Microsuction / Additional Acoustic Trauma in Close Proximity
      Melatonin also disrupts my sleep. I have stuck with Mirtazapine which seems better than Melatonin alone or the combination of both.

• Like Like x 4
    10. Zugzug

Zugzug Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      At the risk of sounding like a narcissist, my problem is so rare and disabling (more common problems, like noise trauma, can be just as severe and disabling, but the cause is more straightforward) that I feel like on the advocacy end, once I'm in, I'm in. I want to have a very firm diagnosis before I go public -- this way the doubting is minimized.

Going public now would not be the end of the world or anything, but just with less benefit at this point. Part of my goal for advocacy is to describe all of the precautions and life changes that I take. Saying that I changed out my mouse for a quieter one or that I get symptoms from the muscle contractions of typing -- well that's the kind of thing that goes over better with the backing of medical evidence. I am close, but not there yet.

• Winner Winner x 3
    11. wwtsai
      Tired

wwtsai Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Mild (2016) Bothersome (8/20)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SNHL
      I will also chime in on Melatonin not being that helpful for sleep. I took a bunch of it and sleep aids when I first got my spike since I couldn't sleep at all. It didn't help and threw my Circadian rhythm out of whack.

My doctor prescribed a low dose of Trazodone at 25 mg which, while it took a few weeks to kick in, allows me to fall asleep within minutes with no residual side effects the next day.

12. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I still cannot sleep properly, but it has improved a lot from being awake 23 hours a day to being able to sleep 4 hours, sometimes even 5 hours. Not uninterrupted, I wake up a lot, but I hope I will get there. Still have nights with only 2 hours of sleep, but overall it got better. Tremors could be from being severely exhausted and sleep deprived.

My sounds are currently behaving, don't know why, because the last couple of weeks were horrible when 2 of my 3 tones were raging, one of them got over-the-shower loud.

I know that medication can be dangerous, but if insomnia and tinnitus makes you suicidal, they still are the better option, just be cautious with them. You said that your parents don't believe in this kind of medicine, but you really need something to sleep.

And please, don't do anything rushed.

• Hug Hug x 3
    13. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      I understand completely. I have a family member who has Myasthenia gravis (rare and cruel beyond belief).
      You're not narcissistic, you said the truth. Those with hearing loss at least have that hope dangling around.
      You know I care and if I can help, let me know.
      I am praying that you and @Chinmoku get that miracle, it does happen.

As far as advocacy goes, I have an obligation at this point. I will continue to write my letters that nobody returns except for computerized spam, a few exceptions - from scientists who wrote me back. My picture is a good idea for me because it's simple and people can have that visceral reaction.
      Your story is important, we need to show the spectrum of what's going on here.
      If it wasn't for the scientists stumbling onto the intestines and making that correlation to inner hair cells most people here would truly be screwed. Dumb luck in a way that hopefully will help a few folks here, nothing to do with advocacy or hearing trauma in the military etc.

Anyhoo... take care Zugzug, I am glad to be friends with you.

• Like Like x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    14. Croaker
      Haunting

Croaker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019 T, 04/2020 H
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I benefit from 3mg of melatonin at night. No more.

15. Ava Lugo
      Gloomy

Ava Lugo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/03/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus
      You have all those symptoms every single day?

16. Shizune
      Wishful

Shizune Member

Tinnitus Since:
      H: 6/2020 T: 7/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Chemical exposure, made worse with benzo withdrawal
      I feel embarrassed even typing this and it's very no-sh*t but please, no matter how desperate you are, take it easy with the medication. Back when this all began I couldn't sleep at all and not much helped. My PCP outright refused to prescribe me Hydroxyzine, the only thing that was helping me sleep, because she insisted it was just anxiety and had to be on antidepressants. Melatonin didn't work for me at all. Benadryl did nothing.

After being awake for nearly two days I took a cocktail of drugs to help me sleep. Ended up passing out in the shower because of it. Next day I had hyperacusis.

When you're delirious from oversleep it's easy to get carried away and have a "screw it all I need this" mindset. Just be careful and don't overdo it or mix anything. I've no doubt that incident contributed to my damage.

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    17. Orions Pain
      Sad

Orions Pain Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A series of unfortunate events
      Yes.

• Hug Hug x 3
    18. katri
      Curious

katri Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Has anyone else had their tinnitus revert back to normal for long periods after they got severe tinnitus?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    19. Pulsing Ear
      Frustrated

Pulsing Ear Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      For me it is really dramatic after I recover from a loud rock concert. My ears would ring for about 24 hours and then go away completely, when I was young, or go back to a lower volume when I got older.

Lately here with my other hearing problem, the tinnitus gets worse for a few hours and then goes back down. Sometimes one ear gets loud for just a minute or less and then goes back down.

• Genius Genius x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    20. Psych
      Wishful

Psych Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Although I can understand the extreme upset that people are going through, having several debilitating things happening now myself, I'd encourage anyone considering suicide to please contact someone who can help you if you seriously consider going through with it. You are worth everything! <3

• Like Like x 1
    21. Psych
      Wishful

Psych Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm curious as to what you mean by this. I was about to start taking Chlorella, which is supposed to increase GABA, but does what you're saying mean that things that increase GABA could have a bad effect on tinnitus once you stop taking them?

22. Chinmoku

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzos and gabapentinoids notoriously do that for some people once you reduce them or even while taking them. Reactions to L-theanine and Taurine are highly individual. GABA is strictly linked to Glutamate and increasing / decreasing GABA has very individual responses on one's tinnitus. My tinnitus has never been helped by any GABA potentiator supplement, contrary to theory. I attach a file that explains the nuanced relationship between GABA and Glutamate.

Attached Files:

• Hug Hug x 1
    23. GBB

GBB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Microsuction / Additional Acoustic Trauma in Close Proximity
      I drove today for about an hour on the highway to go to a doctor. I had ear plugs and Peltor on. At first in the immediate aftermath it didn’t seem like the spike was that big, but now I’m having a ton of trouble getting to sleep even with my meds... kinda disappointed my functioning level is still so low 5 months in. When I’m up and awake I can focus on something else even though the tinnitus is very loud, but my brain doesn’t want to let me sleep...

It’s really hard to lead a normal life when you can spike so high from so little :(

No pain, just huge spike in both ears that’s 8/10 volume.

• Hug Hug x 5
    24. katri
      Curious

katri Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      @Chinmoku @GBB my ear inflammation may be causing my tinnitus to be lower. It’s been lower for a day. I don’t know if this is a good or a bad thing. Does anyone on this forum have any experience with this?

25. Psych
      Wishful

Psych Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you very much. Looks like the Chlorella won't probably be a problem. Although I did take an ION test earlier this year, and it said my GABA level was fine. My moods change due to hormones - I'm normally on a pretty even keel. It's such an in-depth subject, and there's always something to learn, so I appreciate your sending that along!

• Like Like x 1
    26. Chinmoku

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mine never goes down, so I think it's a good sign that it has been lower. If you suspect inflammation you could try Curcumin or maybe a little fasting to see if it responds, provided this is medically safe?

27. __nico__
      Heartbroken

__nico__ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2019 / worse Nov 2020 / H since Dec 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Noise
      My hyperacusis is really bad again. I can't live on with this. I have nothing.

• Hug Hug x 1
    28. twa
      Busy

twa Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2017- mild /Sept. 2020-moderate
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      meds/acoustic trauma
      I hope you are feeling better. I took Clonazepam after I injured my back and as soon as I read up on it I started a micro-taper. I had weird symptoms like the twitches and although I did not have tinnitus then, once I stopped taking it I started having mild tinnitus. It's remained the same for 3 years, never changed until a recent acoustic trauma.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    29. Loui

Loui Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I would just like to know if you have gotten an answer from Dignitas? My hearing issue isn't that bad yet, but it would be comforting to know if assisted suicide is an option if things get worse.

• Hug Hug x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
    30. Born To Slay
      Depressed

Born To Slay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Have you tried GABA drugs?